HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 6:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Let's say for the sake of the discussion Quebec requires knowledge of French for citizenship, how is this more tribal than Canada requiring English or French for citizenship? Does this make Canada more tribal than countries with three or more official languages that require one of them for citizenship?
So you admit that your plan is designed to prevent unilingual anglophone Canadians from immigrating to Quebec then......

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 6:34 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
So you admit that your plan is designed to prevent unilingual anglophone Canadians from immigrating to Quebec then......
Impunging motives again...

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
No admission required, it would be transparently obvious that any such measure would be for no other reason than to create les conditions gagnantes.

I mean, what else do you make of this?

Quote:
At the moment, you are considered a Quebec resident if you've lived here for six months. You don't have to demonstrate a willingness to integrate into your community or know a lick of French in order to vote.

Just as an example, several of my former neighbours voted in the 1995 referendum by virtue of Canadian citizenship obtained in Ontario in prior years and having resided (more or less in some cases) in Quebec for six months. They knew zero French and zero about Quebec history, culture and society.

All of them to a man, woman and child are living in other parts of Canada today, or the United States. Or Dubai or somewhere like that.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 6:37 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
No admission required, it would be transparently obvious that any such measure would be for no other reason than to create les conditions gagnantes.

I?
Yeah, that's exactly what I want. Riiight.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Yeah, that'd be cool as well.

I'm curious which would be the bigger benefit for us. Would the Labrador route save communities in southern Labrador and on Newfoundland's Great Northern Peninsula? They'd go from being the end of the rarely-used line to front and centre on our most important highway.

That could outweigh, for us at least, the obvious benefits of simply improving the existing route through the Maritimes. I assume that there are lot of things we get here that we simply wouldn't have access to without the larger Maritime market bringing it halfway for us. If the trucks were using the Labrador route, then their cargo is pretty much just for us - it may not make economic sense to supply as many and varied goods.
Is there any bridge or tunnel under water in the world that is 79 km in length?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 8:33 PM

If a Maritime fixed link was built:

* A new highway from Bay St. Lawrence to approximately Aberdeen would be needed through the middle of the Cape Breton Highlands. Upgrading the Cabot Trail would be detrimental to the local culture and tourism (it is seen as an experience, not a quick route).

* The first tunnel would be approximately 25 km long, between Bay St. Lawrence and St. Paul Island.

* On St. Paul Island, there should be a full service centre (accessible in both directions) with gas, food and parking. Scenic lookouts and walkways could be added as well.

* The second, much longer, tunnel would be approximately 79 km long, between St. Paul Island and Cape Ray.

* Fire resistant safety areas would be placed every 500m (approximately 210 in total) for safe escapes. Those areas would have wider shoulders and turnouts for emergency stopping as well.

* A short, high quality highway would connect Cape Ray to the existing TCH.

* Tolls would be paid in both directions (unlike the Confederation Bridge). The ferry to Sydney from Port-aux-Basques would be mostly removed (only used for hazardous goods with a truck type ferry), but the seasonal Argentia ferry would remain (with no trucks allowed).

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 8:58 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
Doctors in Alberta only recently moved to an online system for medical charts. It gets really weedy once you start talking about sharing patient information, both with regards to privacy laws, liabilities, and the actual infrastructure involved.
I'm well aware of liability laws and privacy. I think in the case of health care we should work to figure it out. Good care depends on knowing the patient history. Saskatchewan also just recently started getting to that point.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 9:00 PM

Canada needs an agreement to prevent provincial legislation from impeding inter provincial commerce and to eliminate any provincial or first nations roadblocks to infrastructure such as highways, powerline and pipelines. For example, power could pass through QC from NL at the same rates and scheduling priority as power generated within QC. BC and first nations would receive reasonable compensation for use of their land but could not block Northern Gateway.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Is there any bridge or tunnel under water in the world that is 79 km in length?
The longest underwater tunnel that's used for transport is a little over 60 km long (Guangzhao metro tunnel). There are bridges over 100 km in China, but I'm not sure if all of it is spanned over water or not. I'd be iffy about being over the wild ocean for over an hour at any point during the year, especially during the winter months

In comparison I think the closest link between Labrador/Quebec and Norther Newfoundland is only about 10 km, a much more reasonable distance.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Standardise healthcare so you don't have to buy insurance when going to other provinces. Your home province should just cover it and fares should be kept the same.
This already exists.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Athena Health Centre in St. John's is the last private abortion clinic in Atlantic Canada. That's unfortunate. I'm certainly not pro-abortion and I support as much sexual education and easy access to contraceptives as we can possibly provide to reduce the necessity for it, but it should always be easily, readily, and affordably available for all women.

So yeah, I agree with moving healthcare up to the feds. That's a good suggestion.
How would federalization change this? If there aren't doctors willing to move to New Brunswick, the federal government wont be able to force them.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan83 View Post
See also The New West Partnership. - http://www.newwestpartnershiptrade.ca/

This has been in the news a lot recently. - http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/08...een-provinces/
I wonder what is holding up other provinces in joining BC, AB and SK on this. It makes sense. Granted in listening to Brad Wall, I wish we would leave SK and take over as PM some day.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 9:11 PM

Quote:
You'd still be Canadian federally but you would have to apply for NS citizenship to take part in NB elections, etc. It would likely be a formality when moving between most provinces but for Quebec it's more of a consideration.

To be the devil's advocate, what's the point of being Swiss if someone from Zurich has to learn French in order to become a citizen for local affairs in Geneva?
I'm not sure, but I think the Swiss maintain their cantonal citizenship wherever they reside and simply register it with the new canton when they move, no?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 9:17 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
How would federalization change this? If there aren't doctors willing to move to New Brunswick, the federal government wont be able to force them.
I was under the impression it was more about the clinics being sidelined and pushed out by New Brunswick's conservative government.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 9:18 PM

Quote:
It's not necessarily multiple citizenships when it comes to international travel. In Switzerland there is only one type of passport: a Swiss passport. Delivered by Geneva, Zurich, Ticino, Bern, etc.
Do I recall correctly that years ago Canadian passports included your place of birth? I might be wrong but I have a vague recollection of it needing to be removed for legal or security reasons, or some such. Is my memory faulty?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 9:29 PM

^ I don't have my passport with me, but I'm pretty sure they still indicate place of birth and place that the passport was issued.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I don't have my passport with me, but I'm pretty sure they still indicate place of birth and place that the passport was issued.
My mistake - I just checked and my place of birth is indeed shown. I don't know why I was thinking that it had been removed from Canadian passports.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 9:34 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Just checked mine. They still have place of birth:

But they erase the province entirely.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 9:43 PM

Quote:
I was under the impression it was more about the clinics being sidelined and pushed out by New Brunswick's conservative government.
Honestly, I don't know. I probably shouldn't have spoken so soon. Are therapeutic abortions not funded by the province?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
It's not about doctors being in NB or not--there are lots of doctors in the province. The problem is that the government requires two different doctors to sign off on the procedure as "medically necessary" before it can be done, which is a barrier that doesn't exist elsewhere. Nor will the province fund a private clinic, making it the only province in Canada with no funding for private clinics.

That's just one consequence of provincially administered health systems. There are others, but personally, I've lived in six provinces, and it's onerous to always be changing health coverage.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada