HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 22, 2016, 12:16 AM

Drawings [PDF - 15MB].

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 12:15 AM

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 8:44 PM

Between this, the new Hilton and the County Courthouse, that's a lot of growth in this corner of downtown!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 10:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerBeav View Post
Between this, the new Hilton and the County Courthouse, that's a lot of growth in this corner of downtown!
Too bad it's not between the huge gap in our skyline though

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 12:19 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovativethinking View Post
Too bad it's not between the huge gap in our skyline though
I'll never understand why some people seem more concerned with how Portland looks in postcards than how the city functions as a place to live, work and play. Sure, I love skyscrapers too. I love tall, and yes, I love skylines... but I'm far more interested in life in the city than I am at gazing at the city from afar.

I'll be glad to see this built in exactly this spot. I'm really excited about the hotel being built diagonally across the street (along 2nd between Columbia and Jefferson). This section of downtown is so active, and yet, it has had some dead spots for decades. The infill will be fantastic!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 5:14 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
I'll never understand why some people seem more concerned with how Portland looks in postcards than how the city functions as a place to live, work and play. Sure, I love skyscrapers too. I love tall, and yes, I love skylines... but I'm far more interested in life in the city than I am at gazing at the city from afar.

I'll be glad to see this built in exactly this spot. I'm really excited about the hotel being built diagonally across the street (along 2nd between Columbia and Jefferson). This section of downtown is so active, and yet, it has had some dead spots for decades. The infill will be fantastic!
I too am very pleased to see development filling in the empty blocks in the south end of Downtown. But a bigger problem has been the lack of ground floor active uses, so despite relatively tall buildings, the sidewalks are often empty and we face nothing of interest in storefront windows, where those rarely occur. Regarding this proposal, I hope a more bold form can be created that better integrates the existing parking/loading entrance for Koin Tower. It would be great if that existing ramp could be configured to also serve the new building. That would eliminate the need for an additional garage entrance.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 8:35 PM

The streets in that part of town are really dead. I'm hopeful that this project and the Porter Hotel can make a positive change, but those would only be the first of many steps necessary to make SW 2nd Ave into a vibrant street.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 9:40 PM

I have thought the Porter location strange since it was announced. It is certainly not vibrant with slab concrete 70's architecture and lack of street life. The Essex house provides a cool streetscape and with the Porter that whole block should be energized. Its just one block - but a city is built one block at a time. Both of these projects will be good for the area.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 10:24 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
The streets in that part of town are really dead. I'm hopeful that this project and the Porter Hotel can make a positive change, but those would only be the first of many steps necessary to make SW 2nd Ave into a vibrant street.
That is very true, I remember during the years of living on the edge of downtown, that whenever I was over in this part of downtown, it was almost always dead. For being such a dense area, it is sad to see the sidewalks so empty, I too am hoping this new developments follow the Portland streetscape style and bring new life to that area.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 1:00 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORNative View Post
I have thought the Porter location strange since it was announced. It is certainly not vibrant with slab concrete 70's architecture and lack of street life. The Essex house provides a cool streetscape and with the Porter that whole block should be energized. Its just one block - but a city is built one block at a time. Both of these projects will be good for the area.
I agree. I lived at The Essex House back in the late 90s. It felt like a strange location for an apartment building because the area was so dead outside of the 9 to 5 workday - and that was back when there were movie theaters in KOIN Tower.

I'm hoping The Porter will be a huge success. It'll be odd for the east facing apartments in The Essex House! For the past 24 years, most of those apartments had a river view. Now, they'll be looking in on hotel rooms.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 1:17 AM
A before E

Quote:
I agree. I lived at The Essex House back in the late 90s. It felt like a strange location for an apartment building because the area was so dead outside of the 9 to 5 workday - and that was back when there were movie theaters in KOIN Tower.

I'm hoping The Porter will be a huge success. It'll be odd for the east facing apartments in The Essex House! For the past 24 years, most of those apartments had a river view. Now, they'll be looking in on hotel rooms.
I suspect both people in the hotel and the apartment building might see things they would rather wish they didn't....or did see.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 1:25 AM

I work in an office across the street from a hotel. Can confirm that interesting activities can be seen.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 6:31 AM

Yeah, I actually lived in the Essex House with a view out to Mt. Hood several years ago, this would be quite the change. I wonder how much those rental prices in the Essex House will drop as a result.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 8:49 PM

140 SW Columbia has been submitted for Type III Design Review by GBD Architects:
Quote:
New construction high-rise mixed-use housing with ground-level retail, housing
lobby and service functions and above grade parking.

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 12:09 AM

Now on Design Commission agenda for July 20th.

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 5:24 AM

Quote:

its the SKYSCRAPER PAGE--not the short buildings page,and what gives you the idea that we function better than any other city our size?

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes View Post
its the SKYSCRAPER PAGE--not the short buildings page,and what gives you the idea that we function better than any other city our size?
SSP Portland has its own culture that tracks tall buildings, short buildings, parks, transit, suburbs, infill, etc. etc. This has been the culture of our corner on SSP since it was carved out almost a decade ago. As a fairly new forumer you are expected to learn the culture of our forum and contribute appropriately. Should you like a forum that only tracks high rises, you're more than welcome to create one.

Let's get the threads back on topic.

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
SSP Portland has its own culture that tracks tall buildings, short buildings, parks, transit, suburbs, infill, etc. etc. This has been the culture of our corner on SSP since it was carved out almost a decade ago. As a fairly new forumer you are expected to learn the culture of our forum and contribute appropriately. Should you like a forum that only tracks high rises, you're more than welcome to create one.

Let's get the threads back on topic.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 12:32 AM

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 12:00 AM

Drawings [PDF - 34 MB]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland