HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 12:59 PM

It appears they have installed a new double-sided 10' x 20' Digital LED horizontal billboard along the bedford highway on the Farmer Clem's property.

Morning traffic is almost always at a standstill here.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=44....p=0&sz=19&z=19

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 7:57 PM

Seems there are two main ideas being discussed here - digital billboards and accent/neon lighting.

Digital billboards - especially those ones that look like huge extra-bright TVs with lots of distracting action going on - I'm not a fan. I find the in-your-face brightness and non-stop action and movement both distracting and annoying, and I think they really cheapen the look of an area. Makes me feel like I'm in the middle of a huge video game. I will be majorly disappointed if they start to make a major appearance in Halifax.

On the other hand, I find accent lighting and neon signs to be quite interesting and attractive, if done "right" (which may mean different things to different people, of course). I can remember about 40 years ago when there were many neon signs in the area and I always really liked their soft glow brightening up the night. These signs have slowly disappeared in the subsequent years, mostly, I believe due to the cost of repairing them as they age (or replacing them in cases like the Esquire Hotel, where their neon sign was mangled from Hurricane Juan).

I understand that there is now LED technology available which mimics the look of neon (see link: http://www.ledneonflex.com/). I'd like to see some imaginative use of this type of technology to be used in signage and accent lighting to brighten up the area at night.

So, to sum up my opinions:
-Huge animated video billboards - no.
-Accent lighting and neon signs - yes.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
So, to sum up my opinions:
-Huge animated video billboards - no.
-Accent lighting and neon signs - yes.

Agreed. Video billboards are starting to show up in the rail corridors in Toronto, and creep along Yonge Street out of Yonge-Dundas Square. A lot of people hate them, they're insanely bright at night (like, shining into your house/apartment bright), and they're ugly as hell.

Neon and LED, on the other hand, can be really cool when done well.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues