HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jan 1, 2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post

Now the city is talking about redeveloping Hemisfair Park (which will cost a lot of money). Does anyone see their current plan as some sort of catalyst for growth? Is this the right place to start (should the money go elsewhere)? Is it addressing any of the real obstacles for growth downtown?
I don't see it as a catalyst for growth, but I do see it as a good place for investment for the city. As for the money going elsewhere; I could think of a few ideas, but then that would only kick the can on Hemisfair farther down the road, which might not be such a horrible thing, and I'll come back to that in a minute.
If the Mayors goal is X amount of new residents downtown by 2020, I think that this (or some other) money should focus on that exact thing. I would say that X amount of dollars should be allocated to fund new housing (large scale, say at least 150 apartments to qualify) in/around DT until we reach a certain number, and you can even stagger down the number per year until you reach 0. So the city would pitch in to help dirt turn on the first 800 apartments this year, 700 next year, 600 the following year, and so on, until we reach 0, which would be 2020, and hopefully by then, you wouldn't need to "beg" developers to build and you would have helped in the building of at least 3500 or so units which would double the amount we currently have.
Now, that's not to say that "investments" that the city made in the last 2 decades were a waste; if anything, they kept our DT afloat. Like Necropolis said, too much attention was placed on the riverwalk. But that attention that was placed there led to investment on the street. Think of what DID happen in the last 20 years that this study doesn't consider "growth." Now I may miss some but this is just to give a small idea of what has happened: I'm a couple of years off, but RC mall was built in 1988 and Marriott RC added 1001 rooms, Alamodome was built, hotels added include Westin, Homewood Suites, Hotel Contessa, Drury renovated and added on to Alamo Bank, the "other" Drury on St. Mary's, Marriott Courtyard, Valencia, Embassy Suites, Home 2 Suites, Indigo, Towneplace Suites, Marriott twins on Bowie, La Quinta, Staybridge Suites, Grand Hyatt, plus a few others on Cesar Chavez, and a couple of others that renovated a couple of our old buildings. I don't know the exact number, but it has to be at least 20 hotels... makes you wonder where our visitors stayed before 1988. And because of the investments recently made on Houston St., we are now starting to feel the pulse as tenants move in to take advantage of the added feet on the street.
That's just the hotels... and it doesn't include the library, additions to city buildings, replacement of Victoria Courts, personal improvements in Southtown, Tobin Hill, Pearl, Dignowity, SAMA, UTSA DT campus, River extensions, etc. After listing all that, it looks like the decades with "no growth" actually had 1000x the growth than the previous 4 decades (1950-90), and the lack of investment in the previous 4 is probably why so much focus was pushed as it was for the last 20 years.
Now, just like adtobias said, we should focus on residential, and I think that once we see that build-up of critical mass, then they should take the Hemisfair plan and ask the "new" residents what they would like in a park. Of course that is not the case and the plan is going forward sooner rather than later, but that is the way I would do things.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 6:41 AM

If the mayor really wants downtown to be something lively and resembling 24x7 atmosphere then they have to do something to get employers back into the core. I've seen that from recent articles there are some incentives that are being offered. Does anyone know if there were any efforts done to get feedback as to what prevented employers from moving into downtown? I can imagine some of the following would be issues: rent, parking, transportation, employee base.

I did acknowledge the Riverwalk and would agree that it has received much emphasis, but even so it is still small compared to what other cities have in their entertainment districts. It seems like the support of the city is needed to really build and sustain this and it is not happening. The city has moved north and generally stays there. In general the recent investment to the Riverwalk feels more like a gift to the residents with the goal of having the linear park. We'll see what develops. If the residents want to be there, developers will be happy to oblige. You'll know soon enough with the Pearl/Broadway projects.

I also mentioned that the growth was mainly in hotel rooms. Rivercenter is trying to reinvent itself now. The Alamodome is considered outdated and Sunset Station never took off even when the Spurs played in the dome. Houston Street started as a development targeting locals and has since moved towards tourists. Instead of office space and residences (excluding Vistana) we have more hotel rooms.

To me there are some good ideas with Hemisphere (like the idea of opening it up to Market street), but it also kind of feels like they are rushing through a sweetheart deal. What they would accomplish is updating the convention center. Which is needed, but it basically feeds the tourism industry again.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 3:31 PM

Quote:
If the mayor really wants downtown to be something lively and resembling 24x7 atmosphere then they have to do something to get employers back into the core. I've seen that from recent articles there are some incentives that are being offered. Does anyone know if there were any efforts done to get feedback as to what prevented employers from moving into downtown? I can imagine some of the following would be issues: rent, parking, transportation, employee base.
Employers will follow the residents once they live there. Adding employers now will do little for the street; workers drive in at 8, walk into their building, leave at 5 and all without touching a DT sidewalk unless they happen to forget their lunch and are forced to go find a bite to eat. Moving the entire USAA HQ's DT would do no good if not a single employee lives DT and walks or bikes to work. Not only that, but that would do very little besides add a couple more sandwich shops and probably no additional retail.
When residents move in, employers will pop up, but it won't be on a grand scale, but that's okay because then you won't run the chance of getting wiped out if that 1 employer that you were counting on runs out of town. We'll see in about 18 months what kind of affect 1700 or so residents does to DT.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Employers will follow the residents once they live there. Adding employers now will do little for the street; workers drive in at 8, walk into their building, leave at 5 and all without touching a DT sidewalk unless they happen to forget their lunch and are forced to go find a bite to eat. Moving the entire USAA HQ's DT would do no good if not a single employee lives DT and walks or bikes to work. Not only that, but that would do very little besides add a couple more sandwich shops and probably no additional retail.
When residents move in, employers will pop up, but it won't be on a grand scale, but that's okay because then you won't run the chance of getting wiped out if that 1 employer that you were counting on runs out of town. We'll see in about 18 months what kind of affect 1700 or so residents does to DT.
I guess it's the whole chicken and egg question. What makes people want to move downtown? What has prevented them from doing so at this time? Might their job being downtown entice them to move downtown?

So far the idea of buying downtown didn't really take off. Why was that? The idea of renting downtown has done better. Many of the orginally proposed condo projects have turned into rentals. What does that tell you about the people that are moving into downtown? They are either not ready or not able to buy downtown. Maybe they don't have the income for what is being offered, or maybe they want a test drive?

I disagree with the idea that employers do little for the street. Houston and Dallas were basically business centers for years and they did a lot for the street. Those areas were quiet once the workers left, but space was being leased by businesses that served those employers.

You need both; the work day and after work, and right now San Antonio is not especially healthy in either area. And really that was the question I was asking. What has the city done to answer those questions? Why the lack of investment leading to growth? It could be that they wait and see what happens as these new units start to fill. At the very least they can tackle the parking issues.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 5:05 AM

Biglari finds new corporate digs

Steak and Shake leader leaves downtown
Quote:
San Antonio's Biglari Holdings Inc., parent company of the Steak 'n Shake restaurant chain, has found new corporate digs.

San Antonio city records show Biglari has taken 14,000 square feet on the fourth floor of an office building at 17802 Interstate 10 West in the mixed-use élian project.

Biglari has been subleasing about 19,000 square feet from AT&T in the IBC Centre tower at 175 E. Houston St. The sublet was set to expire with the closing of the year.

Biglari's new corporate address is not far from a proposed Steak 'n Shake restaurant at the northeast corner of Loop 1604 and Interstate 10 West. It would be the first Steak 'n Shake in San Antonio if it is built.
Close to a new Steak and Shake? I doubt that played into this decision. Elian seems like a nice place. I have yet to make it to that part of town since that project started.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 8:27 PM
Endless Moments...

Okay hopeful something new and with some height is announced soon. Ready to see some buildings rise in the Alamo city. Just saying whats on the mind...

Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
I guess it's the whole chicken and egg question. What makes people want to move downtown? What has prevented them from doing so at this time? Might their job being downtown entice them to move downtown?
People move DT because it is different than what they are used to, or it is what they are used to (if they moved from another DT.) Lack of "quality" apartments (or in this case, lack OF apartments) DT is what prevented them from moving there. Where would they have lived before Vistana?
People don't live near their workplace now. If they did, we wouldn't have traffic on freeways and have people living in Alamo Ranch working across town.

Quote:
So far the idea of buying downtown didn't really take off. Why was that? The idea of renting downtown has done better. Many of the orginally proposed condo projects have turned into rentals. What does that tell you about the people that are moving into downtown? They are either not ready or not able to buy downtown. Maybe they don't have the income for what is being offered, or maybe they want a test drive?
Buying takes more commitment, and the younger set that tend to live DT aren't ready to buy. It's just like you said, they are able to test drive and if they don't like it, they just don't renew their lease. It's easier than trying to sell; especially the last few years.

Quote:
I disagree with the idea that employers do little for the street. Houston and Dallas were basically business centers for years and they did a lot for the street. Those areas were quiet once the workers left, but space was being leased by businesses that served those employers.
And that proves the point.... they were business centers for years... so why didn't anyone live there until the last decade or so? If you get people to move in first, you built up the density needed to support retail and other services, which adds "some" employment. Once you get those services, then people that gave the excuse of "there's nothing," suddenly realize that there is something DT and more things to do, bringing in more residents. And that is when you get some employers attention and they decide that DT offers more amenities and a better work environment than a suburban location.

Quote:
You need both; the work day and after work, and right now San Antonio is not especially healthy in either area. And really that was the question I was asking. What has the city done to answer those questions? Why the lack of investment leading to growth? It could be that they wait and see what happens as these new units start to fill. At the very least they can tackle the parking issues.
Agreed, you do need both, and while SA is not "healthy" in either, it is "healthier" from 9-5, and on life support when it's not (except of course when there is an event DT.) The city has offered incentives to employers to move DT, and HNTB decided to move there without any enticing except that it would benefit them as consultants to be closer to their clients. Besides those incentives and investing in infrastructure (river, rail, flood control,) they named Daryl Byrd CEO of SA2020, which to me is a pretty good move by the city. They could also use some of that Hemisfair money to properly fund Luminaria, prop up NYE celebration by getting better entertainment; just a couple of ideas to improve the "things to do" list.
Now that I think about it, I do think the city or county recently (in the last few months) offered Pearl some incentives.

Quote:
Steak and Shake leader leaves downtown
Close to a new Steak and Shake? I doubt that played into this decision. Elian seems like a nice place. I have yet to make it to that part of town since that project started.
His sublet ran out; I believe Argo has dibs on the "penthouse" suite now at 175 Houston. Eilan is also about 5 minutes from Biglari's home.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 6:47 AM

People do move downtown because they are looking for that certain experience and they want to be close to what they enjoy doing.

I think the crowd that has moved into town so far has been a mix, but the ones that will be filling up this this new batch of rentals will generally be younger. I'm wondering how much of an impact Fort Sam will have.

As to the question of employers vs. residents, Austin is an example where residency is pouring in and seems to be the driving force, but it was an office tower that started the boom (Frost). Austin spent time building up the infrastructure preparing for businesses and then the tech collapse happened. But they always planned for bringing in more residents, and there was already mometum in development for entertainment; things to do.

There are a lot of good things that have recently happened to San Antonio that improved the economic landscape of the city: major corporations have developed such as Valero, Tesoro and Rackspace; UTSA has become more than a commuter college; Toyota has brought manufacturing to the city; Fort Sam should be a big influence; Eagle Ford Shale promises to bring major investments. It's only a matter of time that it will have some effect on downtown. I just expected to see more by now.

The Pearl is a development that can bring locals into town and with the riverwalk extension and streetcars that should help move people around. If Hemisfair can make the Convention Center great and or unique, then it may be worthwhile.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 6:40 AM
Paradise

Anything on the Mulberry project?

http://www.jmsarchitects.com/#!__pro...lbumphotos11=0
JMS Architects

http://testing.claytonandlittle.com/...tle/project/25
Clayton and Little

Last edited by UrbanTrance; Jan 8, 2012 at 6:56 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 6:23 PM

Haha when I saw that second rendering (Clayton and Little) I thought that it looked like something I would see in Austin or Dallas and sure enough that firm is from Austin. Not saying SA can't have something hip-ish but we sure do a lot to tone down the way buildings look.

I do recall someone posting up that they were a part of something that was going to happen at Broadway/Mulberry but they couldn't give out any info yet. I would assume that this is the project, in terms of figuring out a design and layout. It's exciting to see the evolution and improvement of Broadway happening right before our eyes.

Edit: Never-mind, as per Miaht's post it appears to be Mulberry/281. But hopeful nonetheless

Last edited by necropolis; Jan 8, 2012 at 6:39 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 6:30 PM

http://www.levyarchitects.com/projec...Mixed-use.html

It'd be some nice infill in that area, I guess we'll have to wait and see if it ever pops up on the HDRC agenda any time soon.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 8:05 PM

Updated image of Construction on Hospital Addition

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 8:12 PM

San Antonio Skyline

I took this picture a few months ago from a helicopter!!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 6:32 AM

Really love that last shot!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 8:03 PM

Vidorra During Christmas time!!!!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 9:28 PM
Liberator.

Location: San Antonio,(born) Arlington Heights, Ill.(Chicagoland)
Man o man, Model, you just have a bonanza of San Antonio photography!!!
Great shot of the Tower Life Building! Is it just me or does the roof appear to be brighter, as in light greener, and cleaner as well!

Go Spurs (NBA) , Go Talons (arena football) , Go Scorpions (soccer) , Go UTSA Roadrunners (college football) , Go Rampage (hockey)

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 12:58 AM
Paradise

Quote:
Blue Star to make room for retail
Blue Star's current footprint is about 160,000 square feet of art, retail and residential space. The cost for retail space there is about $15 per square foot, Jessop said. With the anticipated changes Lifshutz also said he plans to raise rents there.

Lifshutz added that he plans to secure financing to start construction on the second phase of Blue Star at the old Big Tex property by the end of this year.

“The art is the soul of the complex. With the improved retail, it really fulfills and brings to full blossom the original intent of Blue Star. It was never intended to just be a place where people make, look at, teach, buy and sell art. It was always intended to be all those things along with a vibrant 30-day a month life to it.”
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...il-2737881.php

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max7 View Post
Man o man, Model, you just have a bonanza of San Antonio photography!!!
Great shot of the Tower Life Building! Is it just me or does the roof appear to be brighter, as in light greener, and cleaner as well!
I use some filters in Photoshop, and the green that I used to enhance the color of the trees must have enhanced the roof of the tower life! LOL Looks real clean!!!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 6:14 AM

From mysa.com-

But that’s just the post office. In the coming months, the building as a whole is expected to be just as bustling as the day it opened in 1937. The building is expected to be 80 percent occupied by the time the $56 million renovation is completed this summer, J.D. Salinas, III, regional administrator of the U.S. General Services Administration, said. And 100 percent occupied by 2013.

The GSA could not say how many workers or which federal agencies would occupy the building, but said its renovation does mean its bringing jobs to downtown San Antonio, the equivalent of a corporation choosing to headquarter here

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/downtow...jobs-downtown/

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 11:18 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

I like that it'll be government jobs and many many of them.

Now we just need more private sector investment with regards to downtown residential development.

I would so love to see the area just south of the Tower Life building become filled with housing or mixed use high rises. Imagine the river lined with these buildings.

With the streetcar line and the Hemisfair Park redevelopment, I can see that area blossoming.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio