HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 11:49 AM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2017 in Ottawa

From Toronto, Ottawa is a 4 hour drive on the highway. In the spring, come for the tulips, and in the summer, come for the cooler sunshine. Unlike Washington DC, the atmosphere is far more relaxed, and you can't really notice a heavy security presence. You can walk into Parliament Hill without going through extensive body searches or checks. Canada's government is still very accessible to the public.

The Ottawa River flows into the St. Lawrence River after a 1270km journey along the Ontario-Quebec border.

Unlike the Americans, Canada charges hefty admission fees for its national-level museums. The War Museum has a good collection, especially the vehicles at the end of the tour.

More on my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/ottawa.htm

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 6:58 AM

Nice pictures! Interesting that parliament is easy to get into, and the national museums are for-pay, opposite of the US.

I will have to keep in mind that Ottawa is only 2 hours from Toronto. I'll have to plan a drive there at some point!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 11:28 PM
The New Republic

It's 2 hours by airplane. By car one can do it in 4 hours. It's 420km.

The area around Parliament is very impressive. Wellington Street has that grandeur one expects in a capital. Byward Market is over rated imo; I was surprised how little 'stuff' there is in Ottawa. Beyond government and museums, there's little to do and crappy shopping. Ottawa still feels like a small town. I do like Ottawa though.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 11:30 PM

Looks way nicer than DC

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Beyond government and museums, there's little to do and crappy shopping. Ottawa still feels like a small town.
What's wrong with the shopping? When I first moved to Ottawa from Toronto the shopping sucked big time, but just in the last two years we had three major mall redevelopments in the region, plus existing small boutiques, plus the new Tanger Oulets. You don't even need to go to Toronto or Montreal to shop anymore. Your assessment seems a bit old.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos