HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

267 O'Connor Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 4:54 PM

Even though it's a bit of a snoozer for me I'm just so damned happy it's not another Roderick Lazy gray and white box design.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 5:06 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Even though it's a bit of a snoozer for me I'm just so damned happy it's not another Roderick Lazy gray and white box design.
Agreed, and as I always say in these threads, this development is surely better than the surface parking that's currently there.

I will say that I would prefer if the North Tower stretched to the sidewalk on O'Connor rather than leaving that tiny sliver of greenspace, but that's probably it for my gripes.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 3:45 PM

For all those poo-pooing the design, uh, those walls are angular therefore it's high design.

Also that urban park is fetch. It comes even with the tripping hazard path-of-travel blocks that can be found in front of downtown Farm Boy, so you know this is trendy as f*ck.

In all seriousness, replacing a low-density commercial crapola building with some high density residential in this particular parcel is JUST the thing this city needs to do. Design of a residential building aside, the density is right. Not all residential apartment buildings on a side street can look like the Guggenheim Bilbao.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 6:12 PM

Can you imagine if this was proposed during the reign of Diane 'NIMBY' Holmes?? It would be the literal apocalypse for her. World shattering height, child killing shadows, mind numbing density, record breaking traffic jams.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 1:48 PM

From McKenney.

Quote:
Catherine McKenney
@cmckenney

To provide more in-depth feedback on the 267 O'Connor proposal, please join me and the applicant team for an interactive design workshop on Tuesday, December 2 from 6:30-8:45 PM. Find out more about the event here:

https://www.catherinemckenney.ca/cal...ctive-workshop

8:43 AM · Nov 23, 2020·Twitter for iPad

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Taggart says plan for two highrises on O'Connor Street meets 'landmark' criteria

David Sali, OBJ
December 11, 2020

An Ottawa developer says its proposal for a pair of apartment highrises in Centretown meets the standard of a civic “landmark” required at the site under city planning guidelines.

The Taggart Group of Companies recently filed a proposal to build two towers of 28 and 30 storeys at 267 O’Connor St., between Gilmour and MacLaren streets. The plan calls for a total of 541 rental units, 339 underground parking spots and a small amount of retail space on what’s now the site of a six-storey medical office and parking lot.

Under the Centretown Community Design Plan, buildings on streets such as O’Connor and Metcalfe can exceed established height limits if they qualify as “true civic or national landmarks.”

The policy states that developments must make “significant and exceptional contributions to the public realm” through elements such as “iconic architecture” and include a publicly accessible space consisting of at least 40 per cent of the subject area’s property.

Taggart says its proposal hits the mark on both counts.

It says the towers designed by Hobin Architecture will achieve “an iconic built form” while protecting view planes of other downtown landmarks.

In addition, the developer says that about 40 per cent of the property will be devoted to an open public space that will feature a mix of greenery, seating and outdoor activity areas. Taggart says the space will “create a sense of place and become a focal point for the neighbourhood.”

“We have put forward an integrated concept that seeks to respond to the array of policy considerations and also achieve great outcomes on the ground ​– in terms of design excellence, vibrancy of the public realm and the provision of affordable rental housing,” Emily McGirr, a development co-ordinator at Taggart Realty Management, said in an email to OBJ.

“The goal is for this project to be a positive addition to the community and become a landmark and gathering place for residents and neighbours in Centretown.”

'Will not impact' protected views

Taggart is seeking Official Plan amendments to the site’s current height limit of nine storeys. While city policy states that so-called “landmark buildings” can’t exceed 27 storeys, Taggart argues its proposed development “fits well” within the context of surrounding buildings and “will not have any impact on protected views” of the Parliamentary precinct.

In addition, the builder is asking to retain ownership of the park and amenity space. Under the current Official Plan, such space must be “publicly owned.”

The builder is also seeking zoning amendments to allow for reduced setbacks and retail uses on the ground floor. The property lies with a heritage conservation district, meaning Taggart will require a special heritage permit to develop the site.

Somerset Coun. Catherine McKenney argues the site “doesn’t easily lend itself to that degree of height.” Calling O’Connor one of the “least attractive streets” in the downtown core, she says “thoughtful” architecture will be a must for any plan to win her backing.

“What it looks like is important,” McKenney said. “You have to be able to look at it and know that it stands out.”

In addition, the councillor said an affordable housing component will be “absolutely key” to gaining the community’s support.

“If we’re going to allow for any additional height at this location, we have to ensure that it’s housing that suits everyone’s needs,” she said.

This isn’t the first time a developer has floated the idea of building multiple highrises on the O’Connor Street property.

Six years ago, Mastercraft Starwood proposed a pair of 27-storey towers for the site in what became the first test of the “landmark” policy.

The plan called for two condo buildings, green space and four townhouses, but the proposal never came to fruition. City planners urged councillors to reject the application, contending it fell “significantly short” of qualifying as a significant landmark.

Proposal abandoned

The developer challenged the city’s Centretown community design plan at the Ontario Municipal Board, then the provincial body that settled planning disputes, but Mastercraft Starwood ultimately abandoned the proposal.

Taggart acquired the property in the spring of 2019. The company said the recently filed application is a preliminary proposal and could change depending on market conditions.

“At the present time we are examining all options on the table as part of our overall development strategy for this site,” Taggart’s vice-president of development, Derek Howe, told OBJ.

“We’re sort of taking it one quarter at a time. We want to listen to the public, we want to see what their feedback is.”
https://obj.ca/article/real-estate/r...meets-landmark

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 11:15 PM

I don't have any qualms with the design but the fact that they are calling it a 'landmark design' shows how low the bar really is in this city. This design might be a 'landmark design' in Halifax or maybe even Winnipeg but here it's just another so-so tower in a sea of so-so towers all of the same so-so height.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I don't have any qualms with the design but the fact that they are calling it a 'landmark design' shows how low the bar really is in this city. This design might be a 'landmark design' in Halifax or maybe even Winnipeg but here it's just another so-so tower in a sea of so-so towers all of the same so-so height.
Fortunately, it’s not for developers to determine what constitutes a landmark.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 4:11 PM

Very nice design, but by no means could this qualify as "landmark". I struggle to identify any building in Ottawa-Gatineau completed after WWII, museums aside (Civilization, National Art Gallery, War Museum) that could qualify as "landmark". Icon was close, but they managed to screw it up. The new Claridge design on Somerset at the Trillium Line has potential, but again, Claridge. There are some strong contenders proposed near Westboro and Tunney's station, but they are just short of "landmark".

I think Mizrahi's project on the corner of Wellington West and Island Park might get there as it's very unique even outside of Ottawa. The Main+Main towers on Lyon at Albert might also reach "landmark" status. Trinity at Bayview will only be a landmark in height, not design IMO.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 6:06 PM

I wonder if these towers will kick off a trend of encouraging taller developments south of the downtown core proper. Between Nepean Street and the 417 there's barely anything over the 12-15 storey range, minus two or three exceptions. Following this build, I can foresee many more 25-35 storey developments being proposed in Centretown to "spread out" the downtown core southwards. Being further away from the Parliamentary view lines, maybe we can even get some developments in Centretown that buck out beyond that 27 storey sweet spot that developers love so much.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueNacho View Post
I wonder if these towers will kick off a trend of encouraging taller developments south of the downtown core proper. Between Nepean Street and the 417 there's barely anything over the 12-15 storey range, minus two or three exceptions. Following this build, I can foresee many more 25-35 storey developments being proposed in Centretown to "spread out" the downtown core southwards. Being further away from the Parliamentary view lines, maybe we can even get some developments in Centretown that buck out beyond that 27 storey sweet spot that developers love so much.
Maybe that's wishful thinking but I would love to see it. Right now, the view from my south-facing, 16th floor, Lisgar St. unit is quite depressing. Resembles more of a mid-size Soviet-era town than a 21st century G7 capital.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueNacho View Post
I wonder how far south you could go before hitting pushback? Once upon a time it would have set off neighbourhood alarms, but attitudes seem to have softened in recent years.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
i wonder how far south you could go before hitting pushback? Once upon a time it would have set off neighbourhood alarms, but attitudes seem to have softened in recent years. Diane Holmes finally retired
Fixed that for you!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 10:56 AM

Why does Centretown have to be a forest of 25-35 storey towers? The area has a rich supply of heritage apartment buildings and converted houses providing the densest area of the city as is. Why can't we have towers a few blocks south of the CBD, north of the Queensway while maintaining 6-8 floors in the middle and closer to Elgin and Bank? A few towers in between is fine, but I wouldn't want Centretown to become an Asian district of wall to wall same height towers.

High rises and skyscrapers aren't the end all be all. Montreal, Boston, San Fran, Brooklyn and parts of Manhattan attest to that.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Why does Centretown have to be a forest of 25-35 storey towers? The area has a rich supply of heritage apartment buildings and converted houses providing the densest area of the city as is. Why can't we have towers a few blocks south of the CBD, north of the Queensway while maintaining 6-8 floors in the middle and closer to Elgin and Bank? A few towers in between is fine, but I wouldn't want Centretown to become an Asian district of wall to wall same height towers.

High rises and skyscrapers aren't the end all be all. Montreal, Boston, San Fran, Brooklyn and parts of Manhattan attest to that.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Centretown is a great neighbourhood with a neat vibe that has only gotten better in recent years. I like the idea of keeping towers along the 417, East in the golden triangle, north of Lisgar, and West of Bronson. The rest keep as lower (but still high density) infill projects. That being said, I will never be truly happy until that disaster at Bank and Somerset is figured out.....what a shame!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 4:35 AM

Quote:

Great, let me know when those the zoning, and built form are changed to reflect an area of Mid-rise housing, because currently its Single family homes protected by every regulation the city can throw at it.

Look reality is the majority of Centretown in protected by heritage designation, "Mature" neighbourhood protections and zoning that maxes out at 4 stories.

As for why does it have to be that way, well demand & housing affordability that is why, so since you seem to continue to insist that "urban" neighbourhood be built to the lowest form and built to respect the low density built form. My question to you is why should it not be mid-high rise housing?

P.S Theres something all of those places you mention (except montreal) have in common as well.....

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamoforange View Post
Great, let me know when those the zoning, and built form are changed to reflect an area of Mid-rise housing, because currently its Single family homes protected by every regulation the city can throw at it.

Look reality is the majority of Centretown in protected by heritage designation, "Mature" neighbourhood protections and zoning that maxes out at 4 stories.

As for why does it have to be that way, well demand & housing affordability that is why, so since you seem to continue to insist that "urban" neighbourhood be built to the lowest form and built to respect the low density built form. My question to you is why should it not be mid-high rise housing?

P.S Theres something all of those places you mention (except montreal) have in common as well.....
My brain is in so much pain

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamoforange View Post

There are quite a few heritage sfh, though nearly all of them, in Centretown at least, have been devided-up into multi-units or commercial. I would still say that close to half of the heritage stock are low to mid-rise apartment blocks and commercial buildings.

There are plenty of surface parking lots and poor quality late 20th century buildings to redevelop without messing too much with the existing quality urban fabric.

I would not say the City protects much heritage. Most heritage designation seem to only request warning of demo. Many heritage buildings like the Medical Arts are reduced to facadism. Others are left to rought, heading for demo by neglect like Somerset House. If anything, heritage protection should be strengthened.

I don't buy the argument that more housing, especially high-rise, improves affordability. We've built plenty in the last few decades, and prices have only gone up, way up. If anything, existing stock is more affordable because of its age. Mid-rises are more affordable because they are cheaper to build. Cheaper still might be converting the remaining heritage sfh into multi units.

Yes, the cities I stated also include high-rise districts, but they also have rich heritage low and mid-rise stock, what many would call a good balance. That's what I'm proposing for Centretown.

That said, I think people's opinions are pretty much set in stone when it comes to this debate. I likely won't be able to change anyones mind, and vis versa.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 8:14 PM

Centretown Community Association seems to be gearing up to oppose this development. At least some of their critique seems to be focused on trying to push for better design but there’s also he same old anti height hysteria being pushed by the association.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 12:00 AM

Quote:
There are quite a few heritage sfh, though nearly all of them, in Centretown at least, have been devided-up into multi-units or commercial. I would still say that close to half of the heritage stock are low to mid-rise apartment blocks and commercial buildings.

There are plenty of surface parking lots and poor quality late 20th century buildings to redevelop without messing too much with the existing quality urban fabric.

I would not say the City protects much heritage. Most heritage designation seem to only request warning of demo. Many heritage buildings like the Medical Arts are reduced to facadism. Others are left to rought, heading for demo by neglect like Somerset House. If anything, heritage protection should be strengthened.

I don't buy the argument that more housing, especially high-rise, improves affordability. We've built plenty in the last few decades, and prices have only gone up, way up. If anything, existing stock is more affordable because of its age. Mid-rises are more affordable because they are cheaper to build. Cheaper still might be converting the remaining heritage sfh into multi units.

Yes, the cities I stated also include high-rise districts, but they also have rich heritage low and mid-rise stock, what many would call a good balance. That's what I'm proposing for Centretown.

That said, I think people's opinions are pretty much set in stone when it comes to this debate. I likely won't be able to change anyones mind, and vis versa.
I'm going to keep this simple for you, supply and demand, and supply had never matched demand.

There's very little midrise in centretown and it's ironic that "progressives" such as yourself call on Ottawa to become like European cities and then turn around and defend single family homes in these urban neighborhoods. Most of things using the same ridiculous arguments the opponent of 33 maple grove used.

This development is well with respects for a core of a city and hopefully the CA is ignored, as this Nimbys has to end.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa