HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 26, 2008, 8:45 AM

From a few days ago...

Sad thing is, if I didn't know the sordid history of this location and you told me this thing with the cheese grater was the highrise's parking podium, I would believe you...

Click here for the rest of the photo set...

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 12:33 PM

Possible new tenant?

I heard from a reliable source that the Chicago Blues Museum is looking to open up in block 37. I'll post more information as I get it. They are currently working on the financing details

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 1:52 PM
Chicagotom SSC

Great news if confirmed!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 11:33 AM

Dec 18

Dec 22

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 1:13 AM
BANNED

I actually really like this building/complex, the only thing I'm not digging so much is the cheese grater looking panels, but even those look kinda good in Harry's picture.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 1:29 AM

It seems a number of people on here complain about the undulating metal panels, but I rather like them. They help spice up the design in a classy way and should look really good at night if they are back lit by colored lights. I think it will have a similar affect the Gerhy band shell. I suspect that part of the intent in the design was to draw this stylistic parallel to the band shell a couple of blocks to the east and thus a symbolic link to Millennium Park.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 9:20 AM

...............why is so much of the 1st floor not clad (Randolph & Dearborn) ? ....they don't seem to need all that open space to haul in construction material ?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 6:50 PM
TL;DR

No, but they need it to haul OUT dirt from the sub-basement excavation. I don't know if that's finished yet, and CTA is loath to even mention "Block 37" in their reports.

However, the framing for storefront glass is going in at points along State Street. I expect the glass itself to go in within the next few weeks.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 2:54 AM

Still a work in progress (tonight):

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 7:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
No, but they need it to haul OUT dirt from the sub-basement excavation. I don't know if that's finished yet, and CTA is loath to even mention "Block 37" in their reports.

However, the framing for storefront glass is going in at points along State Street. I expect the glass itself to go in within the next few weeks.
...........yes, I guess that's a good point !

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 9:21 AM

Last edited by Loopy; May 17, 2010 at 12:10 AM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
^I remember some kind of report that the station was rough finished and the track has been layed. But there are no finishes in the station and no signaling equipment for the track, which is expected to cost a couple mil just to design.
.......it still seems like it is 90% finished !

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Updated Tenant List:

Confirmed Above Ground Tenants
Muvico Theaters
Rosa Mexicano
Lululemon Athletica
Aveda
Godiva
Sabon
Steve Madden
Puma
unknown Lettuce Entertain You restaurant
unknown Lettuce Entertain You coffee shop
Club Monaco
Ben Sherman
Zara
Anthropologie

Confirmed Pedway Level Tenants
Au Bon Pain
Beard Papa's
Dairy Queen/Orange Julius
Freshii
Gateway News

Possible Tenants

Apple Store
Bebe
J. Crew
Coach
unknown small live theatre
Billabong

Cancelled Tenants
David Barton Gym

Oh good, another strip mall...this is all, for the most part, shat that I would avoid but I guess necessary in this part of town. Is the Lowes still on tap at least?
"Chicago doesn't need Bryant to feel like a big-time player, just as it doesn't need Donald Trump to build a tower downtown to feel adequate. Nice that Trump's doing it, but when you have the Sears Tower and the Hancock building, you're pretty secure with who you are. And when somebody named Michael Jordan has graced your presence, somebody named Kobe Bryant isn't going to shake your world." Rick Morrissey, 2007

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 7:44 AM
TL;DR

^^ You mean Loews, like the movie theaters? Last time I checked, nobody was planning to put a Lowe's home-improvement store in the midst of the Loop.

As for the movie theater: it will be a Muvico, not a Loews, theater. It will have 5 screens IIRC, and a marquee on Randolph.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 3:32 PM

I convinced myself that I was satisfied with the way things turned out with this one, but I had to keep reminding myself to ignore all of the historical context surrounding the block to retain that opinion.

Well, I am well into the book "Here's the Deal: The Making and Breaking of a Great American City" by Ross Miller, and, well, now I'm just upset. The final product we are getting is a complete injustice to the amount of public funds swallowed up by these three acres throughout the years. It's nice enough, and it will improve the area (um, it isn't an empty lot), but its value will not conquer the block's storied past for many years to come. Fortunately for most Chicagoans (or unfortunately), ignorance is bliss.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 3:59 PM
The City

^ The other day I was thinking how much nicer Block 37 would be if it were designed as a C-shaped building, with the open part of the 'C' facing State St, creating a massive public square. The building could still have an office tower, hotel, and residential towers, but would give something back to the city.

I've warmed up to the idea of a public square at least in this way, because I'm realizing that even though this project will ultimately do a lot towards bringing vitality back to the Loop/State St, it would have been nice to give something back to the regular taxpayer.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 4:19 PM

I can understand some of the complaints regarding this project, but as someone who lives two blocks from this development, I am excited about this. I am thrilled with the prospect of movie theaters, shops and restaurants moving into the Loop for the residents who live here. We can complain about the architecture all we want, but it would miss the bigger point that developments like this draw activity to the Loop which in turn will draw more residents to this area.

My biggest complaint about this is the length of time it is taking to complete this project. Macy's and local stores/restaurants cannot enjoy the fact that this area has been an ugly construction zone for a long time. Now, with the prospect of a hotel and/or apartment building starting contruction in the near future over the mall, the area gets to look forward to a few more years of contruction. I am in favor of the hotel being built because it will add even more activity, but at a certain point you get sick of the constant construction in this area. To put it in perspective, Trump Tower broke ground in ealy 2005 and Block 37 broke ground in late 2005 (if my memroy serves me right). Trump will be complete in the foreseeable future. There might be contruction at Block 37 going into 2013. I understand the complexities involved with the subway station, but the sooner they get it done the better.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 2:05 AM
TL;DR

The stuff on State Street will be gone relatively soon (within the year) and the sidewalks re-opened. If construction on the other high-rise begins anytime soon, it will probably keep lanes closed on Dearborn and Randolph but not State.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 9:59 PM

Jan 16

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 6:26 AM

Morningstar/CBS:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive