HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Jan 9, 2010, 2:55 AM

globe and mail: Restaurant review: Society Restaurant and Lounge

passed it a few times always wondered...

Restaurant review: Society Restaurant and Lounge

Society aims for a carnival theme, but it’s served up without irony. LAURA LEYSHON FOR THE GLOBE AND MAIL

ALEXANDRA GILL

Published on Wednesday, Jan. 06, 2010 12:00AM EST
Last updated on Friday, Jan. 08, 2010 2:54AM EST

agill@globeandmail.com

The general manager at Society Restaurant and Lounge can't find our reservation.

"What's your last name again? Oh, right. You're late," he scolds, glancing askance at his watch. "The reservation is for 6, and it's now 6:26."

Actually, we're four minutes early. I'm sure the reservation is for 6:30 because I made it myself, under a pseudonym, only a few hours ago. I remember the phone conversation clearly because I never eat at this uncivilized hour.

Of course, I could be wrong. So could the manager, a possibility he is not at all willing to concede. In fact, he seems barely willing to acknowledge us.

After being completely ignored for the next 10 minutes, the hostess asks if we would like to sit on the sidewalk patio.

Absolutely not. It's snowing out there. When she asks again a few minutes later, promising to move us indoors as soon as a table comes available, we grudgingly follow her out into the frosty air.

What has the Glowbal Group come to?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle1420436/

Old Posted Jan 9, 2010, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
passed it a few times always wondered...

Restaurant review: Society Restaurant and Lounge

Society aims for a carnival theme, but it’s served up without irony. LAURA LEYSHON FOR THE GLOBE AND MAIL

ALEXANDRA GILL

Published on Wednesday, Jan. 06, 2010 12:00AM EST
Last updated on Friday, Jan. 08, 2010 2:54AM EST

agill@globeandmail.com

The general manager at Society Restaurant and Lounge can't find our reservation.

"What's your last name again? Oh, right. You're late," he scolds, glancing askance at his watch. "The reservation is for 6, and it's now 6:26."

Actually, we're four minutes early. I'm sure the reservation is for 6:30 because I made it myself, under a pseudonym, only a few hours ago. I remember the phone conversation clearly because I never eat at this uncivilized hour.

Of course, I could be wrong. So could the manager, a possibility he is not at all willing to concede. In fact, he seems barely willing to acknowledge us.

After being completely ignored for the next 10 minutes, the hostess asks if we would like to sit on the sidewalk patio.

Absolutely not. It's snowing out there. When she asks again a few minutes later, promising to move us indoors as soon as a table comes available, we grudgingly follow her out into the frosty air.

What has the Glowbal Group come to?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle1420436/
I agree with the whole review. We had a table of 7 and we got seated in a table meant for 4, it was comprised of 2 tables put together. The average height of our party is 5'8. No suggestions that we could move to the huge table next to us that had, unsurprisingly, seating for 8.

Annoyingly, during the meal, the lights kept getting dimmer and dimmer and dimmer. When the junk food platter came, we could barely see each component of the platter.

Thank god Glowbal's other restaurants still treat clientele nicely.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2010, 5:11 AM

I feel this way about a lot of their restaurants (I haven't been to all). They are all hype but not really a lot of substance. I particularly loathe The Italian Kitchen.

Though I will begrudgingly still eat there once every few months

Old Posted Jan 9, 2010, 5:57 AM

i ate their once it was awful nothing that great i had the kobe meatball spaghetti - it wasn't that great

had better italian at east side marios and you get non stop bread and salad there

Old Posted Jan 9, 2010, 5:59 AM

I hate to say that it is very Boston Pizza-esque, but it is! BC has some amazing Boston Pizza's, no lie

The prices are even similar. I guess they make money off of tips at TIK due to the waitresses dressing like semi-high class hookers.

I mean, they don't even try to hide the fact that is the look they go for. We're talking push-up bra, tight SHORT grey skirt, and knee high black hooker boots.

Oh, and the way they lean over the table to fill up the business mans water . It's almost delightfully trashy.

And the Kobe Beef (fake, by the way) Meatballs taste exactly like Chef Boyardee beefaroni. But, that's OK, I'm a Chef Boyardee kind of guy.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining