HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 11:33 PM

The OMSI area is a no-brainer for this market. I work in south downtown and frequently cross over the Hawthorne or Tilikum bridges at lunch. I'm always impressed with the number of young professionals who work in that area doing lunch there as well.

I think the market will also create a synergy with the OMSI and Zidell redevelopment efforts. Would be super cool if the market opened in the Zidell barge building that's going to be vacated in the next year or two.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 11:56 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
I too was intrigued by the Morrison bridgehead site because it would energize a deadzone, be close to so many downtown workers, and be so near Saturday Market. Weekend crowds would visit both. The OMSI site might work just as Granville Island in Vancouver BC works. Granville has very difficult access. Perhaps it succeeds because it is co-located with some cultural activities. OMSI could play a role in creating a similar synergy.
One thing that really helps the OMSI area is the fact that it is pretty easy to get to with having a streetcar, light rail, bus, and having an easy pedestrian bridge located nearby. Plus combine that with if they are able to add residential to this area, along with all the residential going on along the SoWa area, it could really work out.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxf View Post
I've always been intrigued with little forgotten pieces of land, like in the image below (which is just south of Waterfront Park on Naito). According to portlandmaps.com, the top red box is owned by the city (seems like that could be an easy piece of land to devote to a better purpose), and I'm not sure who owns the lower red box. It seems like these pieces of land could be great areas for a public market. The pedestrian friendliness of the area is pretty bad, but it seems like that could be solved, and perhaps even used to create a stronger bond between the south end of downtown and the waterfront.

I did a quick writeup about this option here: http://www.drempd.com/blog/A-Better-...-Public-Market

I work across the street from this site and I can attest the pedestrian and bicycle infrastructure here is awful. I think just about any development here would help connect downtown with South Waterfront and Riverplace.

The vacant property to the south is owned in part by ODOT and in part by the PDC. The Parks bureau has some staff that report to the parking lot site with a small building. It's screaming for a redevelopment, but I'm a bit pessimistic about PDC's skills to get anything done. The PDC did a plan for this whole area in 2004 and it's been covered in dust ever since. I happen to have an electronic copy, but I can't seem to find it anywhere on the web. Currently, their website says the following about the sites:

Harbor/Naito Properties
This site has been considered as a potential future affordable housing site within the URA and the Harbor/Naito development area. The Portland-Milwaukie light rail alignment will transect this site at SW Lincoln.

Link to the PDC webpage

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 4:52 PM

Granville Island in Vancouver BC is a perfect comparison for OMSI area. I think having the market here will also open up some nice ferry service to and from DT. I think we've matured enough to have something that can take you from North DT to Riverfront to South waterfront across to OMSI. Plus the location as a unique feel and fits well with the manufacturing small business district.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 8:41 PM

I always though the Morrison Bridge was a terrible place for the market. The OMSI location has a lot of possibilities. My architecture masters thesis project was a market hall/production space using a site near there. As part of my research I mapped all the small food producers in the area and it is teeming with brewers, distillers, coffee roasters, commissary kitchens. A market seems like a natural fit.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 3:53 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Walch View Post
I always though the Morrison Bridge was a terrible place for the market. The OMSI location has a lot of possibilities. My architecture masters thesis project was a market hall/production space using a site near there. As part of my research I mapped all the small food producers in the area and it is teeming with brewers, distillers, coffee roasters, commissary kitchens. A market seems like a natural fit.
That is a good point, the Central Eastside Industrial has really become a collection of vendors. I have to say, I really miss doing these types of architecture projects. This one sounds like it was a fun complex project to work on.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 3:44 PM

DJC reporter Chuck Slothower:

Quote:
James Beard Public Market's move to OMSI property appears to be on track. 1/2
Quote:
Says Executive Director Fred Granum: “It’s not a deal until it’s a deal, but it’s going well." 2/2
Link to tweet 1, 2

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
DJC reporter Chuck Slothower:

Link to tweet 1, 2
I'll believe it when I see a structure get built. It's been about 20 years since they have been trying to get this done.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 4:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
I'll believe it when I see a structure get built. It's been about 20 years since they have been trying to get this done.
Exactly

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 7:09 AM

Quote:
James Beard Public Market still eyeing OMSI land

The James Beard Public Market is still looking for a home.

Executive Director Fred Granum thinks he might have found one near OMSI.

The nonprofit museum is preparing to redevelop the vacant lots that surround it, and Granum has been eyeing the land for a year now.

Plans to locate the long-sought project at the west end of the Morrison Bridge fell through last year over concerns about pedestrian access.

That wouldn't be an issue on OMSI's land, which is now situated between two pedestrian-friendly bridges.
...continues at the Oregonian.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland