HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 4:12 AM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Chinese driving is truly an inexhaustible source of stupid. I saw it first hand when I lived there. It's actually a lethal combination of stupidity mixed with an utter inability to give a toss about anything happening beyond the end of your nose.

But I think that's a little beyond the purview of this thread. We are in the Canada section, after all.
As someone who learned to ride a motorcycle in Coquitlam/Richmond/Surrey I couldn't agree more. Terrifying

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 4:24 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
I just noticed that all four domestic pickup makers are represented: Ford, Chevy, Dodge and GMC.

Do I win a prize?
With their rear tires on the grass. . .

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 9:42 AM
video et taceo

pickup trucks are such a key north american signifier. that photo could easily be somewhere in denmark (our winters look a lot like that it seems), sans the trucks.

last time i was in north america it was new york, so the effect was muted. but visiting halifax in 2013 left me surprised at just how many of these things you would see parallel parking, stuck in traffic or otherwise doing car stuff.

my dad had an f150 then and my parents just moved into a condo in downtown halifax (previously they had a house in the south end). he would get so frustrated trying to drive it into his underground parking spot and would kind of start cursing the building for its shortsightedness. eventually i noted how easily everybody's golfs and a4s seemed to fit in there but he felt that sometimes he needed to move a chair or whatever and so it all was worth it.

(he always had enormous cars, even before his truck phase. i think it's an english-guy-in-america* thing.)

* they feel canada totally counts as 'america'. i think isaidso noted this once, as i believe he is from england as well.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 10:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Damn kids these days with their long hair!
Lol it's not the long hair that annoys me, it's the wearing of hats combo.

i.e. you never see these kids with just long hair, it's always with the dam hat.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 12:31 PM

Trucks/SUV's make a lot of sense in high-snow areas or the rurals.
I don't know if that applies in this case, though.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 12:47 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
(he always had enormous cars, even before his truck phase. i think it's an english-guy-in-america* thing.)

* they feel canada totally counts as 'america'. i think isaidso noted this once, as i believe he is from england as well.

Based on my English relatives visiting Canada this is pretty accurate. What was the most exciting part for people coming from SE England (but not London) for a cousins wedding a few summers ago? That they could rent large SUVs. Literally, that was the highlight for more than a few people.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 12:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Here's the latest in Stratford: Parking halfway past the curb onto the soft, wet sod.

Why? Because they're idiot farm boys in pickup trucks doing what idiot farm boys do. When they're not drinking, fighting or driving like idiots.

They all looked at me with malice when I stopped to take this pic. As if I were challenging them to a duel. Or a joust. One of them honked his horn. I smiled.

Herod had the wrong idea. Under the age of two? Nah...14 to 25 would be better. Because it's testosterone poisoning that causes all the problems.
The disease is contagious because the plague of timbit trucknut assholism is rampant here in nearby London Ontario.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 12:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
pickup trucks are such a key north american signifier. that photo could easily be somewhere in denmark (our winters look a lot like that it seems), sans the trucks.
You're right of course.

But they do surprisingly start showing up a lot more when you start getting into the central-northern parts of the Nordic countries (north of the Baltic Sea), as you move away from the major capital cities.

Not so much the American models. Mostly the Japanese ones.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 2:07 PM

In Ontario, the F150 sells more than any other car.

Although, the most commonly registered vehicle is actually the Honda Civic, but because sedan drivers tend to go longer between purchases than pickup drivers, the sales numbers for the Civic are lower.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 2:08 PM

Does anyone have numbers on total registrations per type (sedan, SUV, minivan, truck, etc.) over time? I feel like sedans have become more popular in the past few years but I have no data.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 3:45 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post

Although, the most commonly registered vehicle is actually the Honda Civic, but because sedan drivers tend to go longer between purchases than pickup drivers, the sales numbers for the Civic are lower.
Judging by the almost complete absence of cargo in the beds of these trucks, I suspect that the only thing picked up by the owners is a bad case of assholism.

Dodge Ram seems to be the most popular p/u truck in London, closely followed by F-150

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 3:48 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Douche Truck, at Urban Dictionary

Quote:
Douche Truck

n. A pickup truck which is used by its douchebag driver to compensate for his lack of testosterone. Douche trucks differ from normal pickup trucks in that they generally are lifted, with large aftermarket tires and rims. Despite having a pickup bed and a massive engine, douche trucks are rarely used to haul anything but the driver and his idiot friends. The driver would not dare scratch his truck by hauling a load of wood in the back, despite the fact that the bed is Rhino-Lined to prevent dents and scratches.
The "douche factor" of the truck increases exponentially with the addition of Hurley or Fox Racing decals to the rear windows, or silhouettes of naked women on the mud flaps or rear window. "Truck Nuts", or the fake testicles sold for the purpose of hanging between the rear tires, are considered the highest level of truck douchebaggery.
The drivers of douche trucks also have little or no concept of the existence or purpose of their truck's turn signals, and tend to switch lanes or merge without signaling.

DickCheney'sRectum

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Canada is America, it's just not part of the United States. Just as Switzerland is Europe.

Canadians who say otherwise have poor geography skills and let another country run away with it's continent label.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbt View Post
Canada is America, it's just not part of the United States. Just as Switzerland is Europe.

Canadians who say otherwise have poor geography skills and let another country run away with it's continent label.
And yet, from my experiences in the UK, when a Brit asks you what part of America you are from and you reply, correctly, "Canada", they can't apologize enough.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Judging by the almost complete absence of cargo in the beds of these trucks, I suspect that the only thing picked up by the owners is a bad case of assholism.

Dodge Ram seems to be the most popular p/u truck in London, closely followed by F-150
If the other truck owners like me, then they don't need a truck 90% of the time. But it's too much of an expense to have 2 separate vehicles for the sake of using one 90% of the time and the other one 10% of the time. A truck can do most car things, not always very well, but it can. A car can't do truck things. So that 10% use dictates the final vehicle. Oddly enough due to the long wheelbase they are actually easier to parallel park if you can find a big enough space.

I'm a ford guy. Still driving my 2005 F350. Here in rural Alberta every home has either a pickup or other 4x4 vehicle. It's funny watching new military guys get posted in with sports cars. After the first winter the cars are always on the for sale lot and they've moved up to jeeps or a 4x4 pickup.

As for the people parking trucks like idiots, before owning a truck became the in thing for the 16-25 crowd, it was all about the sports cars and rice powered economy cars with numerous modifications done that cost more than their vehicle originally did. That crowd discovered they could do more things with a pickup (like drive over shit) and they instantly became the in thing.

I disagree that trucks are an American thing that we copied. I can't speak for all makes and models, but there are twice as many 6.0 fords per capita in Canada as there are in the USA.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 5:14 PM
arf

Canada is the land of trucks. As far as stupid human tricks, this is just lack of respect for other people and that is all. It could be trucks. It could be the jerk who parks in two spots in the parking lot. It is all those things. People need to learn some respect for others. Things like this should be a parking violation and the ticket should come with a fine and a mandatory 50 hours of community service. Go clean up the ditches if you have that little respect for others.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 6:36 PM

Quote:
I just noticed that all four domestic pickup makers are represented: Ford, Chevy, Dodge and GMC.

Do I win a prize?
Unless you went and looked at the second digit of the VIN of the second truck (the 81-87 GM model with the aftermarket grille) to confirm that it's a "C", you don't win anything.

(I doubt you did that, because if merely taking a pic from far away seemed to bug them, I wonder what they'd have thought of you walking up to them and peeking through the windshield to check the VIN tag... )

Still, I must say, impressive knowledge for a layman...

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 6:41 PM

BTW, here's an interesting little nugget of knowledge for you.

In the US, that 2nd truck would've had a ~80% chance of being a Chevy.

In Canada, due to the way GM dealerships were structured in the decades prior to the Chapt 11 reorg, the stats are about 50-50 for Chevy/GMC.

(Same approx. ratios for cars, Chevy-Pontiac, Can vs US)

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
I haven't got Ontario sales data in front of my eyes but I'm pretty sure you have to take F-series combined (i.e. F150 + SuperDuty) for it to be #1.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 6:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
Trucks/SUV's make a lot of sense in high-snow areas or the rurals.
I don't know if that applies in this case, though.
Yeah in rural area's of course your gonna want a bigger vehicle.

However there are those people that just get infantile with it.

It got alot worst when the 4 door truck became the new norm.

However high gas prices somewhat curved this.

However now people are getting accustom to these prices making this affliction far worst.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada