HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 4:24 AM

Vacany Rates in Buffalo

As of the 3rd qtr of 2008, Metro Buffalo had a Class A Vacancy rate of 7.9% and 12.8% for all classes of office space. National average for all office space was 10.2% in Q2 this year. Side Note, Buffalo had vacancy rates over 20% for most of the 1990s. There has been great absorbtion in the Buffalo market, even with major projects adding to the total office space (HealthNow ~500,000 sq. ft, 285 Delaware 115,000 sq. ft, Citi and Geico expansions in Amherst, each around 250,000 sq. ft each)

http://www.studley.com/blockTools/bl...plication%2Fpd

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Bolivar View Post
That podium looks worse close to completion than it did under construction--a decent building on a solid slab of gray--awful! On the other hand I understand the lack of windows on the downtown side--190 is too close to the building and too short to have too many windows in the upper floors. I would imagine both noise and air quality had to be a concern when this building was designed due to the expressway.
I'm not sure about that. If you look at the floorplans for Waterfront Place and Admiral's Walk- they're half-buildings. There is no center corridor on each floor with units on both sides. In both, units only are on the water-side and the corridor is on the exterior wall of the city-side, thus few windows. They want some building height but don't want to build 100+ units at a time. Some of the end-units have both water and city views, but the money-maker is waterfront view.

Some of the condos on the Gardiner in Toronto almost touch the slow-lane.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 8:18 PM
try being in the Buff

There is a single loaded corridor building in Chicago. They made the corridor all glass.

Anyone who has ever been in a high rise apartment will quickly realize that the city view is far better than the water view, especially at night. If they really wanted high and wrap around views they would have gone more slender and gotten rid of the corridor

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 4:53 PM
welcome to the madness

^^^Isn't that what the Gates Circle Tower is all about?

With stories about various DWI incidents and bad sports teams in the Snooze this may be a long winter.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 8:46 PM

BURA supports Pitts for city hotel
Business First of Buffalo - by James Fink Business First

http://buffalo.bizjournals.com/buffa...1/daily43.html

Buffalo News Article
http://www.buffalonews.com/145/story/514124.html

Last edited by Jas; Dec 5, 2008 at 1:24 PM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 12:25 AM

Shanghai-

Ciminelli-

Anyone smell politics?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 1:08 AM

i don't remember being so enraged about a development project in buffalo.

the crooked politics behind this is blowing my mind.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 3:10 AM
try being in the Buff

absolutely disgusting

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 4:37 AM

email the mayor

chances are he will not read your opinion, but flooding his mailbox may still get his attention.......absolutely ridiculous

MayorBrownWebMail@ch.ci.buffalo.ny.us

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcall4am View Post
As of the 3rd qtr of 2008, Metro Buffalo had a Class A Vacancy rate of 7.9% and 12.8% for all classes of office space. National average for all office space was 10.2% in Q2 this year. Side Note, Buffalo had vacancy rates over 20% for most of the 1990s. There has been great absorbtion in the Buffalo market, even with major projects adding to the total office space (HealthNow ~500,000 sq. ft, 285 Delaware 115,000 sq. ft, Citi and Geico expansions in Amherst, each around 250,000 sq. ft each)

http://www.studley.com/blockTools/bl...plication%2Fpd

Thanks a lot

Here is an interesting article about ideas for improving shrinking cities from a Cleveland. Buffalo really needs to get its shit together and start planning. We should be looking into all options. That latest proposal is proof that we have no clue how to rebuild a city

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2008...ing_cleve.html

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 2:50 PM

WTF:
“Not only did they not talk about restrictions, we were encouraged to be as creative as possible with our design,” Edwards said.

I emaild bb, but I dont know there is something more going on here.
Is there any way to get a copy of the RFP?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 4:04 PM
welcome to the madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastperspective View Post
Shanghai-

Ciminelli-

Anyone smell politics?
I can't stand when this crap pops up and it's so obvious. The only thing I can of is that Buffalo ends up getting what it deserves--these are, after all, elected officials. Same with the state government.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 4:12 PM

Started a petition - don't know how much it'll acomplish but it makes me feel like I'm doing something.
Please sign and email link:
http://projectbuffalo.com/?page_id=113

Also, if someone can get this onto Buffalorising, I don't have a user there, tried to signup but it crashed

**** UPDATED *****
New system, works perfectly.

Last edited by mrussell83; Dec 5, 2008 at 7:06 PM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 6:31 PM

councilman locurto replied to my email. he said there will be another public hearing TBA.

should be fun

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastperspective View Post
Shanghai-

Yeah, I mean who draws sailboats docked with their sails UP

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 5:27 AM
welcome to the madness

Email to mayor Brown

I just wanted to share the email I write to the Mayor through the city of Buffalo website:
Dear Mayor Brown:

I want to express my frustration with recent BURA decision to approve the smaller J. W. Pitts Properties and Development proposal over the larger Ciminelli proposal. I am sure that you have read the report on the decision in the Buffalo News and if City Hall has been unfairly represented, the citizens of WNY deserve a different explanation. If regionalism is to truly be a two way street in WNY, then the city of Buffalo must be transparent and above reproach, otherwise we as a region will continue to fall behind. We are counting on Buffalo to make good decisions as they affect us all. As a church pastor and community activist I constantly encourage the youth of my church and community to stay in the area to open small businesses and invest in the local economy. if the rules are unclear in the city, how can one expect local, national, and international businesspeople to invest in the city?

I am also disappointed because in looking at the two proposals, the J. W. Pitts Properties and Development is smaller, requires surface parking, and is similar in style to many hotels found in suburban, and even small town settings such as the Hampton Inn in Olean, NY. While such a design may be acceptable or even desirable for Transit Road or Olean, it is disappointing to see a design such as this happen on some of Buffalo's best downtown waterfront property. With the recent failure of the proposed BSC Buffalo City Tower, it would have been a wonderful statement of Buffalo's strength and determination to see a grander project rise in such a visible location. I will not stop boosting for Buffalo and Western New York, but the city would be easier to sell to former and current residents with a clearer and bigger vision.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Rev. Matthew D. Kofahl
Pastor, Bolivar First United Methodist Church
Bolivar, NY

Old Posted Dec 7, 2008, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
Yeah, I mean who draws sailboats docked with their sails UP

This is just so stupid political Bull Shit. I have known Pitts some 30 years. The way he and his political companions carry on would make Chicago's Lance Mell and Fast Eddie Vadoliac (headed to prison FINALLY) blush. This is politics at its worse. Things will never improve as long as these type people run Buffalo.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 9:43 PM

just fired off angry e-mails to everyone i think would care about the project or their political future

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 3:20 AM
Master of My Domain

Jim Pitts is a bully and a punk. I remembered when he c__k-blocked the construction of the Adelphia Tower. I thought we'd heard the last from him. Must be buddies with the mayor. What a shame.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbin Dalus View Post
Jim Pitts is a bully and a punk. I remembered when he c__k-blocked the construction of the Adelphia Tower. I thought we'd heard the last from him. Must be buddies with the mayor. What a shame.
Gotdam right he is. I just wanted someone else to say it. What really bites, is that the tower would have been 3/4 done before any of the Rigas's Gangster Shit came to surface. That whole thing was a bunch of Gangsters doing Gangster shit. Legalized Extortion. I have always said. Buffalo politics is just as bad, if not worse then Chicago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations