HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesBeauty View Post

America's Favorite FF Chain, Chick-Fil-A, to Open First Downtown LA Location on 7th Street

http://brighamyen.com/2017/01/08/chi...on-7th-street/
Thank you for the update but just a reminder that the CEO of Chick-Fil-A is a notoriously anti-gay bigot.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Thank you for the update but just a reminder that the CEO of Chick-Fil-A is a notoriously anti-gay bigot.
Wait, just who the fuck is that? Never heard of that hidden guy yet...
Might be too ashamed to show up up here.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
there are rumors this proj may not be in the bag for dtla....or the southern branch of dt....after all. Something to do with where ppl....when looking at cable cars & a large rust colored bridge...are more likely to want to leave their hearts? If so, boo to that.
I wouldn't lose too much sleep over this.

What's at stake is a funky building without much of a collection.

To think of all the competitions LA lost to other cities, including the one LACMA lost to the Met over the Annenberg Collection. Losing the Lucas Collection to another city hardly compares...

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuFFy View Post
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...130-story.html

Apparently Downtown is having its largest boom since the 1920's.
"Largest boom since the 1920s". No kidding. L.A. Times always gets the news last.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDVArch View Post

Maybe, but it still would be remarkable if LA could somehow nab a high profile museum for which it was never supposed to be in the running.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 9:56 PM

Quote:

I think you shouldn't simplify this possible acquisition. This acquisition would mean one less surface parking lot in LA while continuing to strengthen LA's reputation as a cultural hub.

Sure Lucas' collection isn't the best one out there but adding another museum to LA's collection will only help. Not to mention, Lucas' museum would support Exposition Park as a tourist attraction. I see the Lucas museum not as a destination piece but a complimentary piece considering that people can visit before/after they check the other attractions at Expo park.

And thanks Mojeda and Kill Em for the photo update. Great work!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Great Job King Killem on the construction photos.
Seconded. You too Mojeda.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMP View Post
Just wait til the purple line is finished. I have a feeling DTLA, ktown and west lake are just getting started.
Agreed. With Koreatown spreading east and downtown spreading west, westlake is going to be squeezed into gentrification. But it's going to take a lot to change. Just look at how many billions of dollars have been invested in downtown and large parts - even in trendy areas - still have a long way to go.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
"Largest boom since the 1920s". No kidding. L.A. Times always gets the news last.
Haha. They must have finally noticed when their building announced it was going condo.

Still I think that even on these forums the changes happening are understated. Downtown is about to explode with new apartments, condos, and retail. What's going to happen over the next two years we're all used to seeing it happen over 10-15 years. What's happening downtown from 2015-2020 is equivalent to everything that happened from 1990-2015. It's that big.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
Still I think that even on these forums the changes happening are understated. Downtown is about to explode with new apartments, condos, and retail. What's going to happen over the next two years we're all used to seeing it happen over 10-15 years. What's happening downtown from 2015-2020 is equivalent to everything that happened from 1990-2015. It's that big.
The crazy redevelopment of the Arts District is literally my fave.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
The crazy redevelopment of the Arts District is literally my fave.
It will be truly amazing but I live in South Park and feel somewhat detached to what's going on there. Since I have to uber to get there, it's like every other part of LA to me. That will be different if they get more directly connected to me by public transportation like ktown is.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 1:09 AM

Quote:
It will be truly amazing but I live in South Park and feel somewhat detached to what's going on there. Since I have to uber to get there, it's like every other part of LA to me. That will be different if they get more directly connected to me by public transportation like ktown is.
I feel the same whenever i visit dtla... the farthest east I go is broadway and after that I turn around because me being an outsider still doesn't feel safe go farther towards the arts district. I haven't gone to Chinatown because the freeway acts like a barrier and makes me turn the other way. I like the financial district, historic core and South Park a lot though.

I took my friend visiting from New Jersey a tour around dtla and he said he's really impressed and didn't know dtla had that much people walking around. oh yea and he REALLY likes grand central market

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerellO View Post

I took my friend visiting from New Jersey a tour around dtla and he said he's really impressed and didn't know dtla had that much people walking around. oh yea and he REALLY likes grand central market
I visited GCM on a weekday at 3pm between Xmas and New Years and was surprised to see it hopping with tourists. Lots of people speaking foreign languages along with families pushing strollers. The line outside the Broad was worthy of Disneyland!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 2:25 AM

Why isn't Bunker Hill getting no love? I like the Angels Knolls idea, but can we do something about the LA Hotel, Promenade Towers, Bunker Hill Towers, and World Trade Center? We need 30-50 stories in that area.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 2:36 AM

Quote:
I feel the same whenever i visit dtla... the farthest east I go is broadway and after that I turn around because me being an outsider still doesn't feel safe go farther towards the arts district. I haven't gone to Chinatown because the freeway acts like a barrier and makes me turn the other way. I like the financial district, historic core and South Park a lot though.

The arts district is really becoming a destination place. Hauser, Wirth And Schimmel Arts Center is really something to see. There are independent retail shops opening on a regular basis, top restaurants and so much construction, both new and historic renovations. You just can feel the changes going on. This area is also becoming a Craft Brewing destination. I recently visited Iron Triangle which I would highly recommend. I love going there...and it is very walkable. Keep your eye out for At Mateo opening soon. Game changer.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 2:46 AM

Quote:

It actually looks like it will be one of those eye catching bldgs that will always draw in the visitor. I think it's the best of the 3 that the architect has come up with for Lucas's museum....I didn't like the one designed for chicago & the one for treasure island looks too bulky.

the collection would complement the one being built at wilshire & fairfax by the academy awards ppl. It will work in tandem with the other 3 nearby museums in expo pk. It's a very approachable type of art....not for the super sophisticate but ideal for all those ppl who remember what they grew up with....ppl into the more purely fun side of culture. the lighter side of what goes on out there.....

Video Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
I visited GCM on a weekday at 3pm between Xmas and New Years and was surprised to see it hopping with tourists. Lots of people speaking foreign languages along with families pushing strollers.
that's why I want to see the one proj break ground more than quite a few others. Not that any other improvement doesn't help lift up all of dt in its own way, but due to the location at 4th & hill being more visible than others....even more than other sites slotted away in corners of south pk or the arts dist.....& so more ppl are more likely to pass by or walk around there than other areas in dt.

ladowntownnews.com

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Haha. They must have finally noticed when their building announced it was going condo.

What happened 2010-2015 is equivalent of everything that happened 1990-2010 probably.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 3:02 AM

Quote:

When going to the Arts District, travel down 1st or 2nd to feel safe. And the 101 between Chinatown and Union Station and all that and the rest of downtown really isn't that dividing as far as freeways go. The freeway is sunken and all the streets go flat directly across.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 3:36 AM

Quote:

You should really head one more block to over Spring St...to me it's one of the major pulses DTLA has to offer. Also, check it out during the Art Walk.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Neo Art Deco & Neo Gothic are better than the boxes that characterizes most modern architecture. The Seagrams and Lever House were fine but in the 1950s through the 1970s almost every building was a knockoff of these Mies curtain wall boxes. Functional, but boring repetition. Who doesn't love spires on tall buildings and even some gargoyles in moderation? Architecture can be fun and playful, and an homage to the past as well as a search for new styles. "Post modern", although flawed and eclectic and sometimes a mish mash of styles, at least broke out of the box mentality. The 150 foot height limit L.A. had until the late 1950s deprived it of some tall skyscrapers that would have become classics. Even in the 1920s, L.A. without a 150' limit would probably have had several 25+ story Art Decos and gothics. We thankfully do have 454' City Hall (exempted from the limit) a Mayan pyramid revival and good because it is not a box. Most people around the world could recognize it as an L.A. building. Aliens blasted it in the original "War of the Worlds" film in 1953, and it was Clark Kent's "Daily Planet" in the T.V. series. Capitol Records too--Hollywood. Our boxy skyscrapers? Few could place them in L.A. We do have some stubby examples that somehow evaded the 150' limit a bit, like the Eastern Columbia with a clock tower, a bit over 200' and the old Texaco Building, about the same height. The demolished Richfield tower went even higher, 380' with the "oil derrick" spire. Spires add interest. Boxes are boring. Repeal of the helicopter landing pad law was a permission slip for spires, and that will add interest to the skyline. Like I've said before, a 900-1100' neo Richfield building somewhere in DTLA would be magnificent. Facing a refurbished Pershing Square, perfect.
Sometimes I wonder, though, Calinative, what the ramifications for not having the height limit would have been. Yeah the towers like Eastern Columbia would probably have been taller, but I think the footprint of the Historic Core, as a whole, would've been smaller.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations