HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 8:30 PM

CINCINNATI | Spring Grove Cemetery and Arboretum, Alms Park

Spring Grove Cemetery and Arboretum, Alms Park

The Spring Grove Cemetery and Arboretum is located in Cincinnati, Ohio within the Mill Creek valley, and was chartered by a special Act of the Ohio General Assembly in 1845. Spring Grove is one of the largest not-for-profit cemeteries in the United States, and it's manicured 733 acres are host to thousands of visitors every year.

This was my first trip to Spring Grove in my two years of living in Cincinnati, so I spent much of my day here. There are 48 photographs in this gallery, along with a brief history and description.

Section 122

Flowering dogwoods in Section 123.

Section 122/123

Wild blue phlox

Round Leaved Ragwort

Section 122/123

A curious fish stopped to look at me for a few brief minutes. Section 122/123

Mahketewah Lake. Section 19

Section 18

Cornus florida dogwood frame Willow Water. Section 18

Cornus florida dogwood frame Willow Water. Section 18

Crabapple frame Willow Water. Section 18

Section 18

Willow Water Lake. Section 18

Soldiers Monument was crafted by Randolph Rogers in Rome, Italy in 1864. Section 23

Section 23

Section 20

Cascade Lake. Section 20

Cornus florida dogwoods frame Mahketewah Lake. Section 19

I've also added a few photographs to the Alms Park gallery. Located in the historic Columbia-Tusculum neighborhood on the east end of Cincinnati, the 94-acre Frederick H. Alms Memorial Park on Mt. Tusculum offers a breathtaking view of the Ohio River and Lunken Airport. The point was originally nicknamed 'Bald Hill' for the clearing created by Native Americans, who cleared trees to have an sightless view of the early settlers of 'Columbia.' Later, the land was owned by Nicholas Longworth who used the property to produce Catawba wine prior to the Civil War. It was later sold to Federick H. Alms, who donated it to the Cincinnati Park Board in 1916.

A statue of Steven Foster, who was known as the 'Father of American music.' While living in Cincinnati, he wrote his first successful songs, 'Oh! Susanna' and 'Nelly Was a Lady.' He lived in Cincinnati from 1846 to 1849.

Be sure to click through to Spring Grove Cemetery and Arboretum and the Alms Park galleries for more photographs! Enjoy this springalicious update!

I've also added a few photographs to the Alms Park gallery. Located in the historic Columbia-Tusculum neighborhood on the east end of Cincinnati, the 94-acre Frederick H. Alms Memorial Park on Mt. Tusculum offers a breathtaking view of the Ohio River and Lunken Airport. The point was originally nicknamed "Bald Hill" for the clearing created by Native Americans, who cleared trees to have an sightless view of the early settlers of "Columbia." Later, the land was owned by Nicholas Longworth who used the property to produce Catawba wine prior to the Civil War. It was later sold to Federick H. Alms, who donated it to the Cincinnati Park Board in 1916.

A statue of Steven Foster, who was known as the 'Father of American music.' While living in Cincinnati, he wrote his first successful songs, 'Oh! Susanna' and 'Nelly Was a Lady.' He lived in Cincinnati from 1846 to 1849.

Be sure to click through to Spring Grove Cemetery and Arboretum and the Alms Park galleries for more photographs! Enjoy this springalicious update!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 10:32 PM
arf

Very nice. Well put together images. Looks like a wonderful place.

I'm wondering if this should be moved into the city threads because it is part of the city, while not buildings per se, it is part of Cincinnati and an area I don't think I've seen on the forum yet.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 21, 2010, 3:16 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Yup.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2010, 4:17 AM
E pluribus unum

Love it, but no pictures of the creepy-ass bust at Spring Grove Cemetery that allegedly has real human eyes?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography