HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 3:54 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapstone View Post
If it's another Publix, I'm going to flip sh**. Why the hell this city refuses to get a Trader Joes is beyond me. Even Krogers would be great.

No reason to get another Publix, when there's two within 5 miles.
Publix is perfect for that location. The one here in downtown Birmingham is doing very well and is wonderful. I stop by there everyday on my way home and it's easily more convenient than other stores closer to my apartment. Not to mention it's cheaper than the stores around where I live...

There is no way Tuscaloosa would get a Trader Joe's with its current population.
It would probably be successful, definitely really popular with the student population, but 250,000 people really isn't enough...

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 1:29 PM

That's a shame. I like Publix, but something new would be better for the town.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 1:46 PM

Alberta continues to see construction. Glad to see this approved

STreet construction approved for Tornado zone

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 2:16 PM

Downtown grocery store takes step forward towards getting approved. I hope it's a Krogers.

I hadn't been that way in a while, until yesterday, but looks like they're adding another lane on 82 once you first enter Tuscaloosa.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 3:13 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Downtown grocery store takes step forward towards getting approved. I hope it's a Krogers.

I hadn't been that way in a while, until yesterday, but looks like they're adding another lane on 82 once you first enter Tuscaloosa.
I think they're getting rid of the on-street parking to allow for more capacity. I always thought it was dangerous to park on Lurleen anyway...

I also saw a Facebook post that they're holding the groundbreaking for the new Holt High School today. Bout time the county showed that part of the area some love.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 7:32 AM

A grocery store in that location is great but I'm disappointed that the retail and the grocer structure is set so far back from the street with parking in front of it. With a mixed use development across the road and downtown a short walk away, you'd think they'd be a little bit more concerned about the urban form of the project. It doesn't cost anything to put parking in the rear rather than the front.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscapes View Post
A grocery store in that location is great but I'm disappointed that the retail and the grocer structure is set so far back from the street with parking in front of it. With a mixed use development across the road and downtown a short walk away, you'd think they'd be a little bit more concerned about the urban form of the project. It doesn't cost anything to put parking in the rear rather than the front.
Agree 100%.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 11:19 AM

Been away for quite some time due to work. Latest news I've heard is former developer Stan Pate is auctioning off his properties. This includes the McFarland Mall, which he promised a demolition of the entire thing, and 5-6 new retail stores. Since, it has been half demolished, and is an absolute eye sore. My guess is they're waiting for the contract of the Dollar General to go out, the complete the whole thing. Regardless, there's some more Pate properties up for sale that have been vacant, and I can only hope it ends up in the right hands.

Speaking of developers buying something: GBT Reality Corp, a Tennessee developer, has just bought out the McFarland Plaza. Reports say they have a plan for the shopping center.

I haven't kept up with some of the new development projects around town, so I hope someone else on here has. I haven't heard anything about Allied Reality and their project going on Temerson Square. Nor have I heard anything about the downtown parking garage. Any info would be awesome!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 2:13 PM

Well the proposed parking garage for Temerson Square fell through. City is trying find other options to use the $500k.

Pretty bummed out. We need another downtown parking garage.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Well the proposed parking garage for Temerson Square fell through. City is trying find other options to use the $500k.

Pretty bummed out. We need another downtown parking garage.
Yes, but maybe eventually there will be one designed that's a bit more pedestrian friendly with first level retail / restaurants / bars.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 5:27 AM

Looking good

I was in T-town for the Bama / LSU game, and while the Skyland Blvd half of McFarland still looks like utter crap, and I hate that it's our main entry, Downtown is looking pretty darn amazing.

I had friends from out of town with me. One was a LSU fan who had never been to Tuscaloosa. Needless to say, the campus blew him away, but he was thoroughly impressed with all that Downtown T-town had to offer as well (amphitheater, River Walk, top notch hotels, great bars and restaurants, etc).

It has really shaped up quite nicely, and I'm excited to see what's to come moving forward.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 4:22 PM

I don't know what's going on with that. We were promised 5-6 new retail stores going in place of the old McFarland Mall, and they can't even demo it fully. It's disgusting to see when you first enter. We need a solid gateway when you first enter.

My guess is they're waiting on one of the leases to end.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 4:42 PM

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 9:00 PM

As for McFarland Mall, you're dealing with Stan Pate, so.... Unfortunately, you're in for a ridiculous ride. Like his other projects, he'll try to hold the city ransom with an eyesore. He'll want some multi-million dollar incentive to get off the pot and do anything.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 10:43 PM

Honestly, it's less about McFarland Mall (that's behind the entrance ramp toward the University from the interstate. It's just about the total lack of zoning from O'Charley's all the way down to basically the new shops at 15th. It's just so random, rundown and looks no different than it did in the mid 90's. I don't get how it's never been a focus of those at city hall.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 2:01 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdtwnATL View Post
Honestly, it's less about McFarland Mall (that's behind the entrance ramp toward the University from the interstate. It's just about the total lack of zoning from O'Charley's all the way down to basically the new shops at 15th. It's just so random, rundown and looks no different than it did in the mid 90's. I don't get how it's never been a focus of those at city hall.
I agree, although, I think the major issues really start south of the McFarland/Hargrove intersection. Below that, it's like everything goes to rural-roadside-zero-zoning hell.

Sigh.... things take so long to be addressed like a proper part of town. I had high hopes that the city would take a more comprehensive planning approach throughout the city after the tornado, but I've really not noticed progress (policy-wise) in areas of town that we unaffected.

EDIT: Though, I would say that I am intrigued by the planned roadway improvements along Skyland. I'm interested to see how things play out after the completion of those projects.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 3:05 PM

Northport moves to annex 39 acres

Some more news:

-Apartments near the University look good.

-UA is thinking of adding retail by the vacant lot behind Publix.

-World of Beer is finally doing some work. I don't know what's taking them so long, but they're finally getting things going.

-Business is going to be added on Kicker Rd.

-The old daycare place on University has been torn down. Wonder what the city will do with it.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 3:03 PM

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 1:34 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:

Good for Northport. The city seriously needs to expand its tax base, whether it is from residential development or commercial development. Not many in Alabama recognize Northport as mid-sized or 'major' city, and that perception needs to change so that state government views the Tuscalooosa-Northport urban area as one of the state's Big's.

Dothan and Tuscaloosa are starting make the case for expanding Alabama's Big 4 to the Big 5 or 6.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 2:26 PM

I saw before Christmas break that they were looking expand their downtown area to amp it up some.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast