HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 5:38 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
You're the biggest Ontario booster there is. If it's not in Ontario then you've got no time for it. You've probably never been west of Windsor before.
Thumbs up! With a touch of formality, I hereby and solemnly declare, +1 A booster like a rocket !!

The truth is most of the photos of beaches in Vancouver for this discussion show good scenery, a nce setting, and people playing happily in the water. In addition, they are great beaches.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 5:39 AM
Registered Drug User

No.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 5:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrequent Poster View Post
Is this your way of admitting that you really haven't been west of Windsor?
It very much seems to be so!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 5:47 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by st7860 View Post
Thumbs up! With a touch of formality, I hereby and solemnly declare, +1 A booster like a rocket !!

The truth is most of the photos of beaches in Vancouver for this discussion show good scenery, a nce setting, and people playing happily in the water. In addition, they are great beaches.
I'm not thirteen, but you are. Here's some advice: you make the baby Jesus cry every time you use exclamation points. Cheerleaders are for high school football games. Preferably in Texas, where they should stay.

Because when discussions on ostensibly interesting sites like SSP turn into team sports, we all lose.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 5:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I'm not thirteen, but you are.
Takes 1 to know 1. What you say is what you are!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 6:29 AM

Rousseau is a jerk, something I have quickly noticed on these forums. He has an obsession with being right and getting the last word out.

I should probably ignore him. But when he states such blatant nonsense like
"Vancouver air temperatures in summer are only 18c" or "vancouver beaches are barely 11c" then I need to correct him.

For starters, he seems to not take into account shallow water and sun light hours. Vancouver is a far north city which has high levels of sunlight in summer. Shallow coastal waters + long sunny periods = warmer then average water.

Close to shore temperatures are boosted due to long sunny hours. This is common sense.

Again, the warmest lake in Canada is commonly known as being lake osoyoos. Lake osoyoos has an average water temperature of 24c. The beaches however may be much warmer. I've never swam in osoyoos lake before so i cannot compare it fairly. However I have swam in Skaha lake and Okanagan lake both in Penticton and Kelowna, these lakes have an average temperature of 22c in summer making them also very warm lakes. However it is worth pointing out that although they may sound warm, I found them actually colder then they sound.

Taking a deep breath before stepping into the water at peachland beach is common summer occurrence. The water is cold, period. Anyone who claims it is not is lying.

Yet for some reason, and I know this is anecdotal, when I swim at English Bay, the water isn't cold enough to prevent me from jumping in immediately. Vancouver beaches are not warm, but they are not frigid either. Frankly you are in Canada, no lakes or oceans in this country are legitimately warm and thats a fact.

Why rouseau constantly attacks Vancouver I don't know. It honestly comes off to me as a mixture of jealousy and ignorance to be honest.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 6:49 AM

He is always an ass when it comes to anything west of Winnipeg, dont let it bother you.

I give him props for being the most subtle troll on this forum. He is good at his craft.

Dont get him started on the BC interior, everything in BC is inferior to Ontario.

And I dont give a fuck about his response to this post.

People have been shitting on Chadillaccc recently, but honestly Rousseau is much worse, the only difference is as i said before, he is subtle.

You can be a douche on here as long as you do it in an underhand manner.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
He is always an ass when it comes to anything west of Winnipeg, dont let it bother you.

I give him props for being the most subtle troll on this forum. He is good at his craft.

Dont get him started on the BC interior, everything in BC is inferior to Ontario.

And I dont give a fuck about his response to this post.

People have been shitting on Chadillaccc recently, but honestly Rousseau is much worse, the only difference is as i said before, he is subtle.

You can be a douche on here as long as you do it in an underhand manner.
I never really quite understood the the anti Chadillaccc posts honestly. He's extremely proud of his city, aint nothing wrong with that.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 6:54 AM
BANNED

I guess I better not mention tofino then.,

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st7860 View Post
I guess I better not mention tofino then.,
I'll take Metro's advice and ignore those who hate on others choices for best beaches.

Tofino is an absolutely gorgeous town and the beaches look amazing. Whether they are swimmable or not is however a difficult thing to answer since I have never been there. But it would be a nice beach to chill at regardless of it's swimmable nature or not.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 7:10 AM
Registered Drug User

This is the thing about Canada. We're so insecure and petty that we throw hissy fits when ridiculous claims are challenged. And then the outrage starts. Soon a whole gang who--quelle surprise--just happen to live in or be associated with a particular geographic region start lobbing insults like a pack of hyenas. Witness this thread.

Am I really "attacking" Vancouver? That people don't buy the claims that Vancouver beaches are great places for lying in the hot sun and swimming in the warm water is an "attack"? I mean, c'mon. Is your self-identity really so wobbly?

I've been there, I've got relatives in Vancouver, the climate data is there to see. In fact, my one cousin is a wind-surfing fanatic who loves Vancouver for that sport. He wears a wet-suit when he wind surfs. Always. Without exception. That's what he tells me.

But now on an internet forum somebody claims that Vancouver's beaches are better than Miami's, and people are...what? Supposed to nod in agreement? Like it's show-and-tell, and afterward we'll all sing kumbaya and affirm each other?

Or maybe, just maybe, I can live with someone in B.C. saying that the skiing there is better than at Collingwood in Ontario. Because truth. Reality. All that good stuff. If you want an echo chamber of agreement for whatever fantastical claim catches your fancy, maybe just stay inside your head. It's probably safer there, anyway.

Last edited by rousseau; Jan 27, 2015 at 7:27 AM. Reason: Typo

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 7:30 AM
See ya down under, mates

OK, now people are bickering.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 7:35 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
OK, now people are bickering.
I laughed. Perfect timing. Good one.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 7:37 AM

I'm pretty certain the guy who said Vancouver's beaches were better then Miami's was being sarcastic and was joking around.

Surely no one actually believes that.

But Unlike you Rousseau, I live in Vancouver and I live across the street from said water you call too cold.

I have personally swam in said water and I have personally seen others also swim in said water.

Tell you what, if no one swims in the water and it's "too cold" as you stated, why does the city actually pay life guards to watch every beach and why do they have water slides and other water toys at said beaches?

If the water is only 11c according to you, no one would swim in that water. Yet they do. Why does the city spend said money then? Wouldn't it be a fruitless effort if the water is too cold and no one swims in it?

We are not talking about open water here. BY all means you are probably correct that water in english bay away from the shore is cold, in fact I know you are right.

That does not however mean the beach water at the shores are too cold as I can personally attest to. And yes, many beaches in greater Vancouver can have water temperatures at or above 25c.

Seeing as this is a complete waste of time, I don't even know why I'm continuing this fruitless argument. I never even said Ontario beaches weren't any good. Heck they look pretty nice to me and who knows, maybe the water is warm, doesn't mean Vancouver beaches are not good beaches and that the water is far too cold that no one swims in it.

You keep saying you have been to Vancouver and thus know such and such to be true. Well, I live in Vancouver and I know such and such ISN'T true.

My living here 24/7 365 days a year gives me a stronger argument then your couple weeks or short visit experience you claim to have.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 1:10 PM
Closed account

Firstly, the average high in the summer in Vancouver is 22. I happen to think that is a perfect temperature personally, but, speaking as someone from Ontario where we experience regular long stretches of hot, humid weather 10 degrees above that, I wouldn't even contemplate going to the beach when it's 22 and certainly not to swim. Since the beach is a place to both beat and revel in the heat here, taking the heat out of the equation kind of changes the whole experience and so it makes it hard for Ontarians to see the point. Obviously people enjoy the beach in Vancouver for other reasons and judging by the number of people sitting on the beach fully clothed, swimming is likely much further down the list. There's obviously still people there though.

Secondly, of the people arguing on both sides, very few seem to have actually experienced both Ontario beaches and Vancouver beaches. I actually have, but I'm not really a beach person, so the scenic aspects of BC thrill me a bit more (I've lived in Ontario my whole life, I'm used to it. That said, as far as strips of sand along a shoreline go, the beaches I've been to on the BC coast have nothing on the major beaches in Ontario.

Finally, regardless of what National Geographic says, neither Vancouver nor Toronto are a Top 10 beach city. You're out of your mind if you think anyone would fly to either place for the beaches, and I guarantee there are many more than 10 places in the world where people actually would. I imagine they were trying to get some variety on their list since white sand in a tropical setting with turquoise water might get a bit monotonous otherwise.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 1:42 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Having lived for many years in BC and now in Ontario, I can attest to the charms of beaches in Vancouver and Ontario. I've swam at Kits Beach, Second Beach and English Bay Beach. Yeah it is pretty cold, even on the warmest days. Beautiful scenery but the swimming is not that great, compared to Lake Huron's beaches. Erie's beach water is warmer still, but it feels unclean and often smells bad. On the other hand, I love swimming up around Tobermory (on account of the extremely clear water...you can see down 100+ feet, shipwrecks, interesting geological formations, etc.), yet the water there is also friggen cold (maybe 66-67 degrees Fahrenheit...yes, I know, but I still use Fahrenheit for water temperature). Lake Ontario...well, Sandbanks near Kingston is awesome, even though the water is cold. I dislike swimming on the Toronto beaches, inviting as they may be. Too cold, and too murky.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 2:16 PM

Lake Ontario is both warm and cold. Temperatures vary greatly day to day depending on wind patterns. Strong winds sometimes swell up cold water from deep in the lake. Other times it directs warm surface waters to the shore. Some Great Lakes are so deep, Ontario being one, that water near the bottom remains at a constant temperature year round. Others that are shallow, like Lake Erie, fluctuate more depending on the season.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 2:43 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post

I don't say much about cities in other provinces because, frankly, they aren't very interesting. The ones we do have are in Ontario and Quebec. Does this hurt your feelings?
Hurt our feelings? Makes us laugh. It's not everyday that such ignorance and parochialism are stated so proudly.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 2:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Rousseau is unapologetic about his strongly-held views. That's not the same as trolling.

Why don't more people engage him with actual counter-arguments if they don't agree?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 3:15 PM

Please define the difference?

He often expresses his views in an argumentative tone that clearly display a desire for instigation / argument. Please don't try to apologize for him just because his preferences align close to yours.

And yes, I have tried to have real conversations with him before, I have been on this forum for years, but you can only talk with a brick wall for so long.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada