HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 4:14 AM
surely you agree with me

they will be replacing them with plexi-glass, dont worry...the planning is under way....and more washrooms will be added to the upper concourse....

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 5:37 AM
BANNED

Here is a shot of the team we almost got (fortunately we didn't) playing in front of their adoring fans tonight (the announced attendance was 5,047 so there were probably less than 2000 at the game).

http://twitpic.com/6oivxf

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 5:47 AM
BANNED

In case some of you were wondering how things were going in Glendale the home of the Coyotes, well it ain't looking too good.

Part of Glendale Westgate City Center repossessed by lender

http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...possessed.html

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
In case some of you were wondering how things were going in Glendale the home of the Coyotes, well it ain't looking too good.

I have to say, I am personally going to miss the Coyote Death Watch...

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 6:18 AM
BANNED

^ LOL, yeah no kidding. There is no way the Coyotes are back for another season in Glendale in 2012. The question is where do they go or will the NHL just fold the team.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 2:05 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
they will be replacing them with plexi-glass, dont worry...the planning is under way....and more washrooms will be added to the upper concourse....
Any idea on timelines?

As it stands now, you cannot get a drink and use the facilities in the same intermission in the upper deck.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 3:31 PM

Quote:
^ LOL, yeah no kidding. There is no way the Coyotes are back for another season in Glendale in 2012. The question is where do they go or will the NHL just fold the team.
A Quebec City NHL bid should now be able to make a stronger case for purchasing and relocating a team to Quebec City. Why? Because that tiny little market of 700,000 called Winnipeg, Manitoba, formerly a "FAILED" market (Just like Quebec City was a "FAILED" market), is showing the NHL and the world that the passion runs deep in Canada for NHL hockey, and these "small" markets can compete with the large-market teams in the US, simply because a much greater percentage of the population cares about hockey.

Its a little frustrating that there has been some anger expressed AT Winnipeg from sources in Quebec City over the fact that we got a team before they did. come on; don't get angry. True North had been operating a very profitable AHL team for years in a new building, a building which is also one of the busiest in North America for bookings. True North was primed and ready to go, and as we learned they've been in the game to land a team since 2007. This isn't us versus you; we're all in this together. Cite Winnipeg's early NHL successes as a evidence that your city *CAN* support a team. And I don't see the problem in throwing a few million into the old Colisee for some interm renos while they get their new arena project sorted out and constructed.

Lets make it eight.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 4:02 PM

I'd love to see a team there too and have few doubts about their fanbase, but I'm still extremely skeptical that QC has the corporate base to support a team there.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 4:11 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by yopaul View Post
I'd love to see a team there too and have few doubts about their fanbase, but I'm still extremely skeptical that QC has the corporate base to support a team there.
Most of their corporate support would likely come from Montreal.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Here is a shot of the team we almost got (fortunately we didn't) playing in front of their adoring fans tonight (the announced attendance was 5,047 so there were probably less than 2000 at the game).

http://twitpic.com/6oivxf
Shame. That arena (Jobing.com) is a beauty. Cue the inevitable... Who else can't wait to see the Nords back?

Quote:

Ouch. Good luck Glendale! They seem content on going down with the ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
@yopaul, pretty much what Joshy said. Quebec City has the money, but most of the support could simply come from corporations that have offices in QC yet their head offices are in MTL. Montreal has enough corporate support, heck even the primary suitors bent on bringing NHL back to Quebec City, Quebecor, are HQ'd in Montreal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
A Quebec City NHL bid should now be able to make a stronger case for purchasing and relocating a team to Quebec City. Why? Because that tiny little market of 700,000 called Winnipeg, Manitoba, formerly a "FAILED" market (Just like Quebec City was a "FAILED" market), is showing the NHL and the world that the passion runs deep in Canada for NHL hockey, and these "small" markets can compete with the large-market teams in the US, simply because a much greater percentage of the population cares about hockey.

Its a little frustrating that there has been some anger expressed AT Winnipeg from sources in Quebec City over the fact that we got a team before they did. come on; don't get angry. True North had been operating a very profitable AHL team for years in a new building, a building which is also one of the busiest in North America for bookings. True North was primed and ready to go, and as we learned they've been in the game to land a team since 2007. This isn't us versus you; we're all in this together. Cite Winnipeg's early NHL successes as a evidence that your city *CAN* support a team. And I don't see the problem in throwing a few million into the old Colisee for some interm renos while they get their new arena project sorted out and constructed.

Lets make it eight.
Oh yeah. Its gonna happen. Its only a matter of time now, especially since this.....

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/actualites...est-signee.php

+

http://www.calgarysun.com/2011/09/06...for-arena-deal

.... just passed

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/que...-09-21-1553220

voted: 94 for, 13 against, 4 abstained

Literally, shovels in ground next (likely 2012 spring), and then its just waiting.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 2:03 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
I think you have to factor in the fact that Quebec City is surrounded by a much more populous region than Winnipeg is. I would guess that a good deal of the new Nordiques' corporate support would be from the region around the city. Quebec has a lot of small cities and large towns, and a lot of manufacturing businesses in those places.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 2:19 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post

@yopaul, pretty much what Joshy said. Quebec City has the money, but most of the support could simply come from corporations that have offices in QC yet their head offices are in MTL. Montreal has enough corporate support, heck even the primary suitors bent on bringing NHL back to Quebec City, Quebecor, are HQ'd in Montreal.

This is exactly it. The Habs are pretty much full up with sponsors, or close to it anyway. They can only have one beer sponsor, one car sponsor, one phone sponsor, one bank sponsor, etc. And there is lots of interest in hockey in the province of Quebec which means lots of untapped sponsorship potential. Sponsoring a team in Quebec City will get you exposure not just in Quebec City and environs, but province-wide, including even the Montreal area to a decent degree. Pretty good bang for your buck.

The new Nordiques would do fine on the corporate sponsorship side.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 2:24 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Its a little frustrating that there has been some anger expressed AT Winnipeg from sources in Quebec City over the fact that we got a team before they did.
Really? Where do you see this?

(Not arguing at all, just want to know.)

I have zero doubt QC could support a team.

Last edited by Riverman; Sep 23, 2011 at 2:35 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 2:29 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Really? Where do you see this?

(Not arguing at all, just want to know.)
I live in Quebec (not the city though) and follow the francophone media and have not heard any bitterness towards Winnipeg either. What I have heard is self criticism of Quebec City in these terms: ''Winnipeg got their act together, we didn't and now they have a team and we don't. Shame on us.''

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 4:44 AM
ABOVE people like you

I believe MTS centre ranks number 19 in North America and number 4 or 5 in Canada after Montreal, Toronto, Edmonton.

Someones doing a great job with marketing the place!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I live in Quebec (not the city though) and follow the francophone media and have not heard any bitterness towards Winnipeg either. What I have heard is self criticism of Quebec City in these terms: ''Winnipeg got their act together, we didn't and now they have a team and we don't. Shame on us.''
Maybe he's thinking about the comments by former owner Aubut? I don't think it's bitterness either, but this could be what he's refering to...

Quote:
I know that (NHL commissioner Gary) Bettman would have chosen Quebec City way before Winnipeg
http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/09/14/...ebec-city-soon

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 11:09 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Maybe he's thinking about the comments by former owner Aubut? I don't think it's bitterness either, but this could be what he's refering to...

http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/09/14/...ebec-city-soon
I don't think Bettman really wanted the NHL back in either city, but the economics in several existing NHL cities forced him to rethink his position. He had no choice.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 12:19 PM
GQMF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d7f6TKfFlY" target="_blank">Video Link

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 2:37 PM
Home of Hyperchange

I think it's less anger directly towards Winnipeg and more bitterness/jealousy that Winnipeg was first. I've definitely picked up on this vibe, but never really seen anyone from QC attacking Winnipeg or Winnipeggers.

Don't worry Quebecers, it's looking likely you'll have a team in 2012. Unless Phoenix pulls a miracle out of its hat. Worst case, 2015. There are so many teams in the US bleeding money and desperate to sell (once the NHL allows them).

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is exactly it. The Habs are pretty much full up with sponsors, or close to it anyway. They can only have one beer sponsor, one car sponsor, one phone sponsor, one bank sponsor, etc. And there is lots of interest in hockey in the province of Quebec which means lots of untapped sponsorship potential. Sponsoring a team in Quebec City will get you exposure not just in Quebec City and environs, but province-wide, including even the Montreal area to a decent degree. Pretty good bang for your buck.

The new Nordiques would do fine on the corporate sponsorship side.
Yes I can see the major-level sponsors kicking in, but I'm still skeptical about a sustained level of support from 40 or more mid-to-large business that will need to be buy boxes and club seats.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan