HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 1:55 PM

Well, it looks like the moderator did eliminate the Provo Thread, in favor of a Utah Valley Thread. I was very much in favor of that, and would describe it as a no brainer. I'll begin to move some of the more recent or important developments in Provo over to the Utah Valley Thread. Would also like to make a minor change with the Thread title to include Provo's name.

Many forum members are giving some simple and very valid opinions:

If we just go with the thought of what can be done without ruffling too many feathers, at least for now, what should be next? Let's keep with the current status of Salt Lake City Proper remaining a separate Thread. Then simply, should we also decide that Sugar House and the U. of U. be combined into the SLC Thread? Can we all, or at least most of us agree on that? Or would Sugar House and the U. of U. projects get lost within the SLC Thread? Giving Salt Lake City Proper more ump would be the next step for now if taken, then let the whole matter rest for a while until it's brought up again, say next year?

As a suggestion of a minor step, I think that at the very least we can combine the U. of U. into SLC. The massive buildup that has been occurring at the University is beginning to taper off for now. While there will be major upcoming projects, I don't think that keeping it apart from it's Capital City is necessary any more. After all, the Univ. is very much an integrated part of Salt Lake, and Salt Lake City deserves to have it's thread pumped up by the addition of it's dynamic University.

If any of you are worried about not having the projects of the Univ. of Utah and or Sugar House close at hand on the current ongoing SLC Thread, I will be more than happy to blend by date into the SLC Thread the past and present projects that populate the U. of U. and Sugar House Threads.

Last edited by delts145; Jan 21, 2018 at 2:21 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 3:23 PM

^
I see no problem with bringing Sugar house and the UofU into this thread.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 12:08 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
^
I see no problem with bringing Sugar house and the UofU into this thread.
Me either. Seems needless to have two separate threads to development projects within the actual city. Plus, it might help diversify this thread a bit since it's clearly stagnated.

I just don't want WVC or Sandy projects in here. No offense.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 12:30 AM

Ok. So, keep the SLC MSA thread and the SLC thread separate. Makes sense to me.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 8:28 AM

Combining Sugarhouse and U of U into this thread and Provo into Utah Valley is a good first step. I'm ok with leaving the rest alone until re-evaluation at a later time. It's a start. I hate being uncertain of whether to put certain things into the Sugarhouse or SLC thread, and Sugarhouse is one of the most active areas of the city right now development-wise.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Combining Sugarhouse and U of U into this thread and Provo into Utah Valley is a good first step. I'm ok with leaving the rest alone until re-evaluation at a later time. It's a start. I hate being uncertain of whether to put certain things into the Sugarhouse or SLC thread, and Sugarhouse is one of the most active areas of the city right now development-wise.
Agreed.
Speaking of Sugarhouse, there is a tower crane up at the Shopko site. Not sure if that had been reported.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
Agreed.
Speaking of Sugarhouse, there is a tower crane up at the Shopko site. Not sure if that had been reported.
There is a Sugar House photo update on the Sugar House thread.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 10:25 PM

^^^
I sent a request in for combining the Sugar House and Univ. of Utah threads into the Salt Lake Thread yesterday, the moderator hasn't checked in since before then. I'll forward a request to Cottonwood if we haven't heard back by tomorrow.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 11:03 PM

Regarding this topic, merging all of the threads will create a convoluted mess because all of the posts will fill in by date posted. For example, the Sugar House thread began in 2007, so all of those posts would bump the first posts in this thread including the Project rundown jubguy3 posted.

The best thing to do would be to close those threads to new posts and begin posting info about Sugar House and the U of U into this thread, (with a link referring back to the closed threads) or just leave them as is and continue posting in them.

If the decision is to close those two threads then someone could possibly help jubguy3 with a rundown of projects in SH and the U and edit the first post in this thread by adding those projects.

The links referring to the two closed threads could be included with the other links in the first post of this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
This thread is the fifth installment of the official Salt Lake City development news thread. Thank you to Delts145 and Cottonwood for helping to update this thread.

Archive of previous threads:

Thread #1

Thread #2

Thread #3

Thread #4

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 11:17 PM

That makes sense to me.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 1:37 PM

Sounds great Cottonwood! I think everyone is in favor of posting Sugar House and the Univ. of Utah together with it's city proper of Salt Lake. Could you please go ahead and remove the Sugar House and U of U threads. As long as they're accessible I'll be more than happy to bring over the recent and current projects to the Salt Lake City thread. Anyone who wants to help please feel free. Thanks again Cottonwood. Your speedy response is always very much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Regarding this topic, merging all of the threads will create a convoluted mess because all of the posts will fill in by date posted. For example, the Sugar House thread began in 2007, so all of those posts would bump the first posts in this thread including the Project rundown jubguy3 posted.

The best thing to do would be to close those threads to new posts and begin posting info about Sugar House and the U of U into this thread, (with a link referring back to the closed threads) or just leave them as is and continue posting in them.

If the decision is to close those two threads then someone could possibly help jubguy3 with a rundown of projects in SH and the U and edit the first post in this thread by adding those projects.

The links referring to the two closed threads could be included with the other links in the first post of this thread.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Sounds great Cottonwood! I think everyone is in favor of posting Sugar House and the Univ. of Utah together with it's city proper of Salt Lake. Could you please go ahead and remove the Sugar House and U of U threads. As long as they're accessible I'll be more than happy to bring over the recent and current projects to the Salt Lake City thread. Anyone who wants to help please feel free. Thanks again Cottonwood. Your speedy response is always very much appreciated.
Both threads have been moved to the Thread Archive section which everyone has access to. The redirects currently showing will go away tomorrow.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 9:38 PM

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 10:47 PM

Asies- someone in our office brought up/utilized your website to share developments as it pertains to us. It made me chuckle. Good job man.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 11:41 PM

Restaurant development news for any other foodies (including some update with a restaurant on Regent St. )

https://www.gastronomicslc.com/2018/...-january-2018/

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 5:58 PM

Have there been any updates at the Sugarmont Project lately since this site pic below was taken?

Salt Lake City - Sugar House - Sugarmont

Updated Design For Sugarmont - Isaac Riddle Reports - Full Article @ http://www.buildingsaltlake.com/upda...house-project/

...The project’s 433 residential units will be a mix of one and two bedroom apartments, but Lucas promised that three bedroom units would be considered after several residents asked
for more housing unit mixes to accommodate families.

The first two floors will reach the street level with floors three and four slightly setback. Floor four will include a courtyard and other amenities, with the top five floors setback further
from the courtyard level. Platt argued the setbacks were included to make the project have more of a human scale at the ground level...

Approved Design Sugarmont Apts https://i2.wp.com/www.buildingsaltlake.com/

Approved Design Sugarmont Apts
http://www.utahprojects.info/Project...ont-Apartments

...Instead of one large L-shaped building that was originally proposed, the Platt’s new design splits the building into two structures that will be separated by a public walkway near the
intersection of McClelland and Sugarmont Streets that would be incorporated into the local trail network. The walkway will vary between 25 and 50 feet and will have a plaza on both north
and south ends connecting to Sugarmont Drive and an expansion of Wilmington Avenue. Platt promised the crowd that the walkway will be well lit and could accommodate retail...

Sugarmont Site Prep July of 2017 - http://www.utahprojects.info/Project...ont-Apartments

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 6:01 PM
ML Engineer

Mike Fife provided a photo update of several projects in the Sugar House area a few days ago, including Sugarmont.

https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/pic...-still-rising/

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 6:09 PM
ML Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
Restaurant development news for any other foodies (including some update with a restaurant on Regent St. )

https://www.gastronomicslc.com/2018/...-january-2018/
Glad to hear Pretty Bird is finally hiring and should be opening on Regent soon.

Interesting that a restaurant that actually did open on Regent Street this month isn't listed. Last Course is now open in one of the retail spaces of the parking garage, the space closest to City Creek.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 6:20 PM

Before you all get your hopes up... this project is already dead.

I got a chance to speak with the Project Lead Architect for the AC hotel. PEG development had initially planned to construct a multiuse residential and hotel tower on the base of the cascade (as can be seen in the photo). However, because of the parking garage entrance, the lobby was too small to accommodate both the residential and Hotel portions, and would have required extensive rebuilding of the elevator bays to accomadate this. Thus, the AC hotel moved to its current location.

According to him, PEG and City Creek have no plans to develop the cascade site. If it were to be developed, it would have to be entirely residential, hotel, or other. It’s layout and design makes it difficult and expensive to become mixed use.

Last edited by Wasatch Wasteland; Jan 25, 2018 at 6:36 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 7:23 PM

^^^Well then make it all residential or hotel. It's a great location.

www.UtahProjects.info

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West