HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 3:15 AM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2017 in Abu Dhabi

I originally wanted to stay one night in Abu Dhabi on the way to Europe for a more comfortable long journey, but ended up staying 2 more due to flight issues. Taking it with stride, I made my way into the city for a look at the changes since my last visit.

Load up your smart card, and wait for the airport bus to turn up. I wasn't sure what 40C would feel like, which is the daytime high expected on this sunny day.

Unlike Dubai, Abu Dhabi's airport is quite far from the city. The bus was well air-conditioned and I emerged at the city check-in terminal after about an hour.

Change is in the air ...

I then transferred to another bus to reach the Etihad Towers, which were under construction on my last visit and now have opened an observation deck. However, the 10-minute walk from the bus stop was already a scorcher.

Who in their right mind would bike during their long summers?

Admission is a hefty 85 dirhams but you get 50 back for a meal or drink at the observation deck. While the space was large, not crowded, and has plenty of comfortable chairs, I was surprised the windows were so dirty. I suppose the sandy climate is the culprit.

This 5-star resort hotel in the heart of the city is bound to make your wallet a lot lighter or max out one of your credit cards.

There wasn't much in terms of food options up here. To make the best of my 50 dirhams, I opted for a salad.

A bit disappointed with the dirty windows, I headed to the convention centre for an open-air bar to watch the sunset. No dirty windows would get in the way of my view of Capital Gate, a very unique slanted building that is a hotel.

More photos on my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/abudhabi.htm

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 10:24 PM
Gatinois et fier

just beautiful.

GATINEAU-OTTAWA=1 300 000
gatinopolis.miniville.fr
gatinopolis.miniville.fr/ind

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 12:33 AM

Amazing pics!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 9:14 PM
Illustrator, editor

Nice pics! Have been there on a daytrip...amazing city, much greener then Dubai.

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 1:34 PM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
Nice pics! Have been there on a daytrip...amazing city, much greener then Dubai.
Yes, my first trip to Abu Dhabi was also just a day excursion from Dubai. Back then, I took the public bus and it wasn't too long a journey although the bus was packed with mostly migrant workers. The city looks different now but with less cranes than its more glitzy neighbour. The airport still has a long way to go though!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 7:48 PM
Illustrator, editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Yes, my first trip to Abu Dhabi was also just a day excursion from Dubai. Back then, I took the public bus and it wasn't too long a journey although the bus was packed with mostly migrant workers. The city looks different now but with less cranes than its more glitzy neighbour. The airport still has a long way to go though!
We went by a tour that used a small minibus with an Indian guide and a Pakistani driver. We visited the Heritage Village, a craft center, the public area of Ferrari World and a Marina Mall. Wish we had seen more of the city center, and be able to walk along the sea, instead, during these two hours. It was only 20-25 degrees C during winter.

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos