HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 6:41 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburb View Post
It might actually just be that one house, 1507 96th ave. Perhaps because it is so ugly. Keep in mind that the prior house mentioned, likely the most expensive within the city at a cool $20,000,000 is also in the same area.
But also keep in mind that just across 14th to the east....there are average houses on typical sized lots appraised at 800,000 to 1,000,000 as well.

Last edited by kw5150; Jan 7, 2011 at 8:38 PM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 6:47 PM
City of Blinding Lights

WOW! My place is up 62K!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 7:16 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
My house assessment in Tuscany went up 10.8% over last year. Assessed value still seems a little low vs. what I think it could sell for though - but probably pretty close.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 7:24 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburb View Post
Not at all.

That area is Jewish central, so odds of a mosque or temple therein would be particularly low. That's why the main entry road is called Jerusalem Road, which passes immediately beside the Jewish Community Centre located within Jerusalem Park along with the Congregational House of Jacob. The Calgary Jewish School is just across 14th and up a pinch, right beside the Beth Tzedec Conservative Congregation.

Are there any other overtly religious affiliated areas in the city? We certainly have other areas that are culture/ethnicity centric hubs - but culture is different from religion of course.
Coming from Winnipeg, which has one of the larger (if not largest) Jewish communities proportionally in Canada - it was striking when I discovered Pump Hill. It was like "ah ha! so THAT's where they are!". Winnipeg's Jewish residents are all over the city but they're definitely concentrated into one of the wealthier parts of the city. And yeah, if you know what a Jewish community looks like, it's staring you right in the face in Pump Hill.

I can't think of anything remotely similar with any other religious group, beyond correlations with certain ethnicities. I can see there being more mosques in the NE but that's not precisely due to religious alignment. More of a side-effect.

Then again, I can't think of a more tightly integrated religious-cultural group than Jews - at least of any size - although that statement is sure to set off the obligatory shitstorm.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 7:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Coming from Winnipeg, which has one of the larger (if not largest) Jewish communities proportionally in Canada - it was striking when I discovered Pump Hill. It was like "ah ha! so THAT's where they are!". Winnipeg's Jewish residents are all over the city but they're definitely concentrated into one of the wealthier parts of the city. And yeah, if you know what a Jewish community looks like, it's staring you right in the face in Pump Hill.
Amazing thing is that I believe there are less than 10,000 in Calgary. Good for them though - as long as they are integrated in society by most other measures.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 8:05 PM

Hmm the bachelor condo i am in is at 220,500. and i think now that university city is across the road, thats probably what it could be sold for

SSP y u no let me have image here

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post

I can't think of anything remotely similar with any other religious group, beyond correlations with certain ethnicities. I can see there being more mosques in the NE but that's not precisely due to religious alignment. More of a side-effect.

Then again, I can't think of a more tightly integrated religious-cultural group than Jews - at least of any size - although that statement is sure to set off the obligatory shitstorm.
How fitting that I just watched this video. Might me some language that's NSFW:

Video Link

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy