HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 9:58 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson View Post
You'll be at Huntsville's level yet.
You mean when we get an interstate spur?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Duckz View Post
You mean when we get an interstate spur?
At least you guys are on your way to getting a loop. Good luck on us having one in the next 20 years.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2008, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Thank you guys, it was just something smart to bring up and find out how backwards that time period really was(along with the relics that still remain today). It's folks like you that are making changes for the best, and it makes everyone feel pretty damn good about MGM's chances going forward. You'll be at Huntsville's level yet.
Wrong place Dude. How many times do we have to tell you to quit wandering off your path? Geeez!!

Cities in America go through it. It's a growing curve. ...Huntsville's getting there...

Old Posted Aug 10, 2008, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander1 View Post
Wrong place Dude. How many times do we have to tell you to quit wandering off your path? Geeez!!

Cities in America go through it. It's a growing curve. ...Huntsville's getting there...
It's cool bystander. Everyone else is being great on here and for that I thank them. I've said numerous times that you're good ppl and given your due quite often. Over the years, it's obvious how important that change agents like yourself are to the improvement of your city. At the end of the day, HSV's only 4th biggest and you guys are 3rd. I know our place, but just want you and the others to be appreciative of the due that I give you. We cool?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2008, 6:38 AM

Quote:
It's cool bystander. Everyone else is being great on here and for that I thank them. I've said numerous times that you're good ppl and given your due quite often. Over the years, it's obvious how important that change agents like yourself are to the improvement of your city. At the end of the day, HSV's only 4th biggest and you guys are 3rd. I know our place, but just want you and the others to be appreciative of the due that I give you. We cool?

This Thread on construction development is not the appropriate thread for your input. Unlike some other threads, this one has not been bogged down with idle chatter on non-related issues. The Moderators like Randy have done a good job at keeping these threads from becoming like other websites with all of that mess going on. Mainly because they're good at preventing trolling on this site; which includes the hijacking of threads by taking them woefully off topic.
Naturally, we can talk about anything we want...in the appropriate forum. This isn't it.

And ohh, I am soooo thankful of your appreciation of me and others as "agents of change"!!! Why wit'out yo's approval, why, i's be nothin' butta lil ole bug onna rug in this here big ole' forum. Thank ye' fo lookin' outs...

...We cool? ...

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopdx View Post
...all the white parents panicked. At first, only the wealthiest white kids started attending private schools like Montgomery Academy on Vaughn Road, which was founded by, among others, Winton Blount. Incidentally, it is still about 90% white.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montgomery_academy

So, over time, more academies like St. James, Catholic, ACA, etc. sprung up and the percentage of white students attending public schools declined steadily...
You definitely should not include Catholic in your statement above!

Catholic: Originally founded as St. Mary's of Loretto in 1873 as an all girl's school, it became co-ed in 1929 and a diocesan school in 1952, when it was renamed "Montgomery Catholic High".

St. James: founded with a kindergarten class of 20 in 1955

MA: the fact that the most expensive school in town -- which was founded in 1959 -- is more than 10% non-white is pretty good, if you ask me. I hope the non-white number continues to go up.

Last edited by OldCloverdale; Aug 11, 2008 at 2:04 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 11:41 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander1 View Post
Those are some really good pics, BRAVO! You may give thoraudio a run for the money...
Thank you all! I enjoyed walking around... I only had an hour or so but it was worth it. SSP has definately given me a much greater appreciation of all Alabama cities.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCloverdale View Post
You definitely should not include Catholic in your statement above!

Catholic: Originally founded as St. Mary's of Loretto in 1873 as an all girl's school, it became co-ed in 1929 and a diocesan school in 1952, when it was renamed "Montgomery Catholic High".

St. James: founded with a kindergarten class of 20 in 1955

MA: the fact that the most expensive school in town -- which was founded in 1959 -- is more than 10% non-white is pretty good, if you ask me. I hope the non-white number continues to go up.
I wouldn't forget Catholic High if you don't forget St Jude's!!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 1:33 AM

Cuco's is open at night downtown now. They close at 8:30 and we need to support them if we want them to stay open.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiijakd View Post
Cuco's is open at night downtown now. They close at 8:30 and we need to support them if we want them to stay open.
That's great! I've been informing people on my job about the expanded Cuco's downtown and they want to check it out. My wife and I will be there this weekend for some of their fajita steak quesadillas!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXbubba View Post
I wouldn't forget Catholic High if you don't forget St Jude's!!
no problem, but St Jude wasn't mentioned in the previous guy's post

St. Jude Educational Institute was opened in 1946 as a part of St. Jude Catholic Church, which was founded by Father Harold Purcell twelve years earlier.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 11:01 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Quote:
Montgomery Mall may get new name, look
August 12, 2008

Read Comments(12)Recommend (12)Print this page E-mail this article
Share this article: Del.icio.us Facebook Digg Reddit Newsvine What’s this?
Jack Thomas Jr., who was general manager when the mall was owned by Glimcher Realty Trust, said in a press release Tuesday the mall could become a mixed-used office and retail space.

He will present his plan to officials from Montgomery Mayor Bobby Bright’s office next week.

“Montgomery Mall is located adjacent to one of the busiest intersections in the city and there is no reason that this property cannot be developed into a profitable business and once again become a major asset to the City of Montgomery. Some interest in locating there has already been expressed,” he said in a release.

Jeff Downes executive assistant to Bright, confirmed Thomas has an appointment to meet with city officials, but he said he was unaware of details of the plan.

Thomas said he would seek incentives from the city to redevelop the property.

He also said the mall could receive a new name and cosmetic changes to the exterior if the plan progresses.

-- Cosby Woodruff

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 3:37 AM

Quote:
As long as Haywood Witchard is out of the picture, that's what matters most. I think mixed-use office and retail is viable. Remember, Aronov Centre is 3 lights NE of the mall, after all and that's a viable Office Park.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 4:19 PM
Closed account

Quote:
It is about time!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 9:35 PM
Witty comment fail

Picked up my tickets for my first MPAC event today. Bill Engvall on 9-12.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoraudio View Post
Picked up my tickets for my first MPAC event today. Bill Engvall on 9-12.

Good news. I bet you will enjoy it; the venue is top notch. We saw Loretta Lynn there several months back and it was very good!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 2:26 AM

We have seen: Loretta Lynn, B. B. King, The Temptations, John Prine, and Jesus Christ Superstar. All wonderful shows. Wanted to see Smokey Robinson but ended up staying at the patio at the House instead. The venue is a great asset in the city of Montgomery. Something for everyone.

Peace.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 1:08 PM

Bill Engvall should be great!

The wife and I saw Jesus Christ Superstar and had a great time.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 8:48 PM

local paper should get worse

Advertiser Co. announces staff reductions

The Advertiser Co., publisher of the Montgomery Advertiser and montgomeryadvertiser.com, has announced that staff reductions will be made this month as a reflection of the downturn in the local economy.

Cheryl Lindus, Advertiser president and publisher, in a letter to employees Thursday, said the local company will eliminate 19 positions from the organizational structure. This will include eliminating nine positions that are already open and 10 staff layoffs.

"The decision to eliminate these jobs was extremely difficult," Lindus said. "We can no longer operate with the same number of people while our business gets smaller in this down economy."

Lindus added that the company will continue to provide "high-quality public service journalism for our readers and tremendous value to our advertisers."

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 9:02 PM
Witty comment fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCloverdale View Post
Advertiser Co. announces staff reductions

The Advertiser Co., publisher of the Montgomery Advertiser and montgomeryadvertiser.com, has announced that staff reductions will be made this month as a reflection of the downturn in the local economy.

Cheryl Lindus, Advertiser president and publisher, in a letter to employees Thursday, said the local company will eliminate 19 positions from the organizational structure. This will include eliminating nine positions that are already open and 10 staff layoffs.

"The decision to eliminate these jobs was extremely difficult," Lindus said. "We can no longer operate with the same number of people while our business gets smaller in this down economy."

Lindus added that the company will continue to provide "high-quality public service journalism for our readers and tremendous value to our advertisers."

Do they really have that many people to cut/paste from AP?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast