HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Update of that small infill that had previously collapsed on Lucknow. Looks quite nice.

20160803_153437_HDR by Jonovision23, on Flickr
Mr Clark Wilkins was hit with a $60,000 fine for the collapse, caused by hiring people who were not qualified tradesmen.

Last edited by Colin May; Aug 6, 2016 at 2:15 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 5:45 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I like the idea of these small-scale infill projects but if you look closely you can see that a lot of the ornamentation was stripped off of the old house. It looks like vinyl siding and a lot of the detailing is pretty sloppy or coarse (e.g. around the bay windows), although I guess they're not quite finished yet. The craftsmanship is nowhere near what it was with the original house.

Had they done a real restoration job on the house in front and then built a simple box in behind it would have looked a lot better.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 2:34 PM

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 12:05 PM

Hi all, anyone know what's going on at the VIC by the wave on the waterfront? Fencing put up yesterday and a few lifts of lumber just dropped off this morning. I couldn't find anything on WDC website.

Edit: Answering my own question, turns out I know a guy on the crew and ran into him at lunch, they are doing a wraparound deck at the visitor center.

Last edited by cdufton; Aug 9, 2016 at 7:00 PM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 12:42 PM

I was driving down Agricola, and noted that at the South end 2328-2336 is getting a big reno. I like that building because of the drive through, there's not that many of them left in Halifax. Be interesting to see what goes there

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 8:24 PM

Burnside Motel,739 Windmill Road, was sold on July 15 2016 for $2.6 million and the fencing went up today with demolition pending. Anyone know what is planned for the 1.4 acre property ?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 8:52 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I was driving down Agricola, and noted that at the South end 2328-2336 is getting a big reno. I like that building because of the drive through, there's not that many of them left in Halifax. Be interesting to see what goes there
ANS reported that Adam Barrett, a local developer, has purchased a new buildings near Agricola and Cunard with the intent of restoring them and renting them out. They didn't specify the addresses but it sounds like these are the buildings. His previous and ongoing projects include 2084 Creighton and the St. Pat's Rectory, so this seems like good news.

There are still a ton of well-located buildings in the old North End with restoration potential. In the future I hope we'll also see more conversions of these rowhouses into 3 and 4 storey buildings. My ideal North End would have lots of midrises on empty and underused sites combined with mostly 2-4 storey rowhouses. This would support enough population density to have vibrant commercial areas along Gottingen and part of Agricola.

Near the top of the list of buildings needing restoration work, in my opinion, is the cluster of vinyl-clad houses at the corner of Cogswell and North Park.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

Near the top of the list of buildings needing restoration work, in my opinion, is the cluster of vinyl-clad houses at the corner of Cogswell and North Park.
One of the most disgusting properties in a city centre. An offence on our sensibilities.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 2:42 AM

Looks like the WTCC will be sold to a private developer.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Sadly, the building at the corner of Cogswell and Maynard is currently being clad in vinyl (it had wood clapboard). Whoever is doing the work seems to be doing a pretty substandard job too... the siding is all wavy in spots.

The ones on North Park and Cogswell are currently tied up in a will dispute. AllNS has reported on it a couple of times. Apparently the son took possession of three or four buildings when the father died, and the sisters don't believe he had the power to do that so they're suing.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 3:45 PM

An interesting article about a development project in San Francisco. Not much different than Halifax, including the before-and-after architecture styles shown.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/p...pid=fb-premium

Old Posted Aug 21, 2016, 4:46 PM

These went up on the waterfront last week. A really great addition if you ask me!

20160818_142217 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 5:44 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 12:35 PM

Strikes me as a pretty dumb idea. Swinging seating if they really felt the need to do something there would have been far more useful to more people.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Burnside Motel,739 Windmill Road, was sold on July 15 2016 for $2.6 million and the fencing went up today with demolition pending. Anyone know what is planned for the 1.4 acre property ?
If I recall, it is going to be a car dealership. I believe Dodge

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalsales View Post
If I recall, it is going to be a car dealership. I believe Dodge
Yes, HalifaxRetales reported that but I am dubious about the Dodge dealer part. We have 3 locations for them already and I doubt we would need a 4th, especially there.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 9:35 PM
You talkin' to me?

I think the hammocks are a great idea, and they are in whats a very scenic part of the boardwalk which is a nice bonus. But why did they have to be so ugly? That construction orange color is just wrong

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 5:28 AM

Cheap, strong, durable, deters theft?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 8:20 PM

Sackville Street now has 6 construction sites! 5 are visible in the photo below (The Pavilion is not). Remind me to get this angle again in two years!

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

PS There will be updates to 7 downtown projects posted on tumblr over the next couple of days.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 1:27 AM

'Fred' on the corner of Agricola & North sold on August 24 for $1.2 million; more than double the assessed value of $583,600.
A very nice capital gain

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth