HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

The Europa in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 5:16 PM

I saw somewhere this would be called Europa Tower.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 8:13 PM
hi

Some comments from the developer about the project and the hearing on July 5th:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...h-highrise-set

Quote:
Assuming he is successful in obtaining an agreement, Gaspar said he take three months to get detailed plans ready and then apply for a building permit.

“So I think by November I’ll have everything approved and then there’s not much I can do. I’ll have to wait until spring next year. But then I want to go ahead full speed.”

It will take two years to build, he said.

The new highrise will have a footprint of 13 per cent of the property and would be on a triangular site in relation to the other buildings, with more than 240 metres separating each.

He said he is contemplating adding a five- to seven-storey building in that area.

“I could build another 100-150 units, I don’t know exactly, but I have the space and I have the density. But, for the moment, I have to focus on this project. Once this is done, or half done, then I will continue.”

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 3:40 PM

What the hell is going on in the podium? It looks like they pasted in a scene from SimTower.

I'm looking forward to this building going forward!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 2:17 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This has been approved. The developer's hoping to get a building permit in October and begin construction in early 2013.

Still not sure what the height is.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 3:15 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This has been approved. The developer's hoping to get a building permit in October and begin construction in early 2013.

Still not sure what the height is.
According to this - http://www.halifax.ca/planning/docum...43Drawings.pdf - it is 280 ft 6" (85.5 meters) to the top of the parapet.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 3:33 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Thanks. I updated the title.

At 85.5 m this building will be taller than Queen's Square, which is only 75 m, but it will be shorter than the King's Wharf iconic tower. The Europa Tower should be fairly visible even from the Halifax side for the harbour. The shorter Micmac buildings are already visible from some angles and they add some interest and "layering" to a lot of Dartmouth skyline photos.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 12:49 PM

This should look pretty impressive driving inbound on Highway 118 as you approach Dartmouth.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 12:56 PM

Of course, they couldn't leave well enough alone. Louis Lawen is appealing the approval.....

"A pair of prominent local developers are headed for the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board in a spat about who can do what on some Dartmouth land.

Earlier this month, Harbour East Community Council gave Can-Euro Investments the go-ahead to develop a 27-storey residential building at Horizon Court.

Can-Euro, owned by German developer Otto Gaspar, already has a trio of existing residential properties on the Horizon Court site.

Now Ollive Properties Ltd., which is owned by developer Louis Lawen, has applied to appeal the council’s decision."

http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...court-property

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 1:08 PM
You talkin' to me?

I don't know how the hell he thinks this doesn't fit in with the surrounding neighbourhood. It fits in perfectly...

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 2:30 PM

In the notice of appeal, Ollive said that the size of Can-Euro’s proposal “is incompatible with the existing neighbourhood.”

weird, the neighbourhood adjacent is a KENT and the mall

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 2:46 PM
hi

Tall buildings are not welcome in HRM. Even in areas surrounded by highways, commercial, and other tall buildings.

I don't get it - I would have thought that a nice, modern building would complement whatever Ollive has planned, in making a cool new condo community. Even a TOD of sorts.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 5:32 PM

This is basically a case of tit for tat. Gaspar appealed Lawen's, and kept his project tied up for a protracted amount of time, and now Lawen is returning the favor. Can't say I blame him...

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 5:37 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser View Post
Tall buildings are not welcome in HRM. Even in areas surrounded by highways, commercial, and other tall buildings.
The key here is that under the present system it's relatively cheap and easy to appeal.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The key here is that under the present system it's relatively cheap and easy to appeal.
When I worked in Fort McMurray (for the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo) an appeal was far from cheap. Granted, having a high appeal fee (to disuade people from launching tit for tat appeals) has other impacts.

Case in point: In the RMWB, the Development Authority had (up until around 2006) very limited variance powers. So when someone would come in to get a compliance on their property (to ensure everything met setback rules) and their deck didn't, they would apply for a variance. Because of the limitations, we sometimes had to refuse a variance for 4 inches because it was beyond our power to grant, causing the property owner to spend $525 to appeal. Then at appeal, we'd recommend overturning the refusal because we felt the variance was minor. Thank goodness we changed the rules and that virtually eliminated that problem.

But it was $1025 to appeal any multi-residential, commercial or industrial project. Typically the only time you would see those appeal (in the RMWB) would be because they didn't like the conditions of approval, were appealing a refusal or a well organized community group (with $) were appealing an approval.

Here at the City of Calgary - any appeal is $25, which is far too little and we get spats of all sorts!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 6:49 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It's a pretty hard problem to deal with, because many appeals are legitimate. If you charge $1,000 across the board then you are slanting the process in favour of developers and wealthier people -- that's almost certainly chump change for Lawen but it is a serious sum of money for some people. $1,000 actually seems like a particularly bad amount for that.

I think HRM by Design handles this the correct way. Some of the HbD heights should have been taller but that's a separate issue.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 11:51 PM

Oh for the love of mike!!!!!!! Wonder how long this so called "appeal" will take

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 4:05 PM
Honored Member

I just looked the appeal status of the Horizon Court III tower on the NSUARB website - http://www.nsuarb.ca/index.php?optio...d=73&Itemid=82 . This case is Docket ID # M05086 .

The following is a timetable of the proceedings - http://www.nsuarb.ca/NSUARB_eDocumen...10144&no=10147 . The status is listed as being "Open" but based on the timetable, there should be a decision soon on whether this appeal will be allowed to proceed further. If it is permitted to proceed then there should have been a notice by now (but it might have been delayed).

Here are links to submissions by:
Ollive Properties (Appellant): http://www.nsuarb.ca/NSUARB_eDocumen...10248&no=10251

HRM (in support of its decision to grant a development agreement): http://www.nsuarb.ca/NSUARB_eDocumen...10250&no=10253

Can-Euro's submission: http://www.nsuarb.ca/NSUARB_eDocumen...10249&no=10252

Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 5:26 AM

URB ruling stalls Tower III project
November 19, 2012 - 7:30pm BY BILL POWER BUSINESS REPORTER

Quote:
Construction of the $36-million Horizon Court residential complex in Dartmouth will not begin this year as expected, developer Otto Gaspar said Monday.

“It appears we’ve missed the critical window to get our footings down this fall,” Gaspar said in an interview.

“It’s truly a shame.”

Gaspar’s Can-Euro Investments Ltd. wanted to break ground before winter sets in on a 27-storey residential complex adjacent to Mic Mac Mall in Dartmouth.

(bpower@herald.ca)
Aggrieved Person Decision

Notice of Public Hearing

The NSUARB will hear the appeal on January 15th.

This should easily win the appeal so hopefully a spring start will happen.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 10:10 PM
we built this city

Still annoying that they couldn't start sooner. This development is amazing... downtown quality.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 6:50 AM

Tower III plan 'incompatible' with adjacent developments

Quote:
Planning consultant: HRM, developer should have been more creative

A proposed $36-million residential complex in Dartmouth is “incompatible and inconsistent” with adjacent uses, a planning consultant said in evidence filed with the provincial regulator Monday.

Can-Euro Investments Ltd., headed by Otto Gaspar, wants to build a 27-storey residential complex, colloquially known as Tower III, near Mic Mac Mall. The company’s Horizon Court site includes the 17-storey Horizon Estates and 19-storey Summit buildings.

But Ollive Properties Ltd., owned by developer Louis Lawen, is appealing Harbour East community council’s approval of the tower on the grounds that it did not “reasonably carry out the intent of the Dartmouth municipal planning strategy.”

Lawen has approval for a multiple-unit residential complex on land abutting Horizon Court formerly owned by Maritime Tel and Tel.

This seems sketchy. I wish they'd explained in what way it was considered "incompatible". Is it just the height? Saying that a multi-residential project should not go on a site because another multi-residential project is planned for an adjacent site makes 0 sense.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth