HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 7:56 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Part of the benefit of having a planning commission here in Calgary is that applications like this (since it would be considered downtown) would go through CPC for a review (if it were here in Calgary). Part of the make up of CPC is that there are 2 designers and one of the alderman has a passion for good design. I suspect if we had tried to get this through there would've been changes made.

This is where the design committee that HbD talked about becomes so much more important and I actually think it should grow to focus beyond downtown. So many urban developments could be improved by simple or even complex changes to design.

CPC here looks at apartment buildings over 60 units, all downtown applications, places of whorship over a certain size and a bunch of other things - I'd like to see the design committee do something similar. Ultimately it comes down to the Development Officer's decision though and perhaps it should be important for HRM to have people in the role who have design experience? If that's the case - nothing wrong with sending existing staff for some urban design courses to help them either.
Unfortunately HbD doesn't have a mandate to comment on design.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 8:44 PM

What are you guys going on about? Those are both fine examples of Halifax architecture. Low rise (because anything higher is TOO TALL!!) and red-brick disease on the outside. Are there any other kinds of buildings possible?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 11:30 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
What are you guys going on about? Those are both fine examples of Halifax architecture. Low rise (because anything higher is TOO TALL!!) and red-brick disease on the outside. Are there any other kinds of buildings possible?
Sorry, I forgot to mention the Prince George, Cambridge Suites and the Marriott Suites Inn as possible candidates for mediocrity disease.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 12:11 AM
we built this city

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 2:53 AM

Some of the blame should also be given to Shaw Brick. As the nearly sole supplier of all brick, they are ridiculously expensive and often unwilling to create anything other than what they have been making for decades. Even if other brick is suggested, often all that builders can get at a reasonable price is what is shown in these google earth shots. Some competition for them would be good for them, for the province, and certainly for the character and quality of peninsular Halifax.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Unfortunately HbD doesn't have a mandate to comment on design.
It does.... or rather, it's supposed to... was intended to?

Seriously though, HbD is supposed to set the quantitative parts of proposals (massing, setbacks, height, etc.) clearly, and the review board, composed of design professionals and some representatives of the general public, is supposed to deal with the qualitative aspects.

This has only been enacted for downtown so far, but the intent is to 1) identify sub-areas within the HbD study area that have unique and identifiable character (read: neighbourhoods), 2) and then set the guidelines for these.

Probably taking an eternity

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 12:53 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
It does.... or rather, it's supposed to... was intended to?

Seriously though, HbD is supposed to set the quantitative parts of proposals (massing, setbacks, height, etc.) clearly, and the review board, composed of design professionals and some representatives of the general public, is supposed to deal with the qualitative aspects.

This has only been enacted for downtown so far, but the intent is to 1) identify sub-areas within the HbD study area that have unique and identifiable character (read: neighbourhoods), 2) and then set the guidelines for these.

Probably taking an eternity
The Mother House and Sacred Heart buildings would meet all of the massing, setback & height requirements. The "design would be the same under HbD"

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 7:40 PM
we built this city

I really want to see renders now...

The whole area will feel much more urban with those houses gone... I always thought they were out of place.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 9:35 PM

The problem in looking at design is that it's always one person's taste versus another. I'm a huge fan of brickwork, so for me - the old proposal of International Place really appealed to me. That being said; I also like modern architecture - so I'm fine with the new proposal as well.

Thr brickwork examples of the addition to Sacred Heart and the motherhouse I don't see as being awful; they are just average. There are elements I'd change if I had been involved; but I wasn't, so I just accept it. Same with the homburg building on Morris/Hollis - the green I don't like; but the brick I do.

I completely agree about the comment on shaw brick. It would be worth it to find out how much it would cost to import brickwork - because if it was cheaper than what shaw cost; I'd be suggesting to developers to go that route.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 9:40 PM
we built this city

Quote:
The problem in looking at design is that it's always one person's taste versus another. I'm a huge fan of brickwork, so for me - the old proposal of International Place really appealed to me. That being said; I also like modern architecture - so I'm fine with the new proposal as well.

Thr brickwork examples of the addition to Sacred Heart and the motherhouse I don't see as being awful; they are just average. There are elements I'd change if I had been involved; but I wasn't, so I just accept it. Same with the homburg building on Morris/Hollis - the green I don't like; but the brick I do.

I completely agree about the comment on shaw brick. It would be worth it to find out how much it would cost to import brickwork - because if it was cheaper than what shaw cost; I'd be suggesting to developers to go that route.
I agree with you, but the problem is the little details. The Homburg design isn't terrible, but that roof ruins any merit in the brickwork. I would love to see them cover the roofing in copper and let it patina for real.

The thing that concerns me about this old folks home is that it will end up having these annoying last touch details. If they build an 8 story box with the quality of Trillium brickwork and no stupid frills or fake accents I will be more than happy.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
The Mother House and Sacred Heart buildings would meet all of the massing, setback & height requirements. The "design would be the same under HbD"
but they did not have to pass in front of a design review panel... who knows if that would have made a difference?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
but they did not have to pass in front of a design review panel... who knows if that would have made a difference?
My experience out here in Calgary with design pannels is that usually you have a couple different designers who do projects in the city on them. So when anything they have designed comes up; they must step out and not even be in the room or contribute to the discussion (conflict of interest). So usually when you get into issues of design, you have some people who have experience and knowledge.

The problem though is that changes are voted on by majority and in the Calgary system - if Calgary Planning Commission is acting in the manner of a development officer and is the approving authority and changes are made; they can be appealed. I haven't seen it too often, but it's possible.

In HRM's system though - I would think the design committee would be a recommendation; not having any power to make changes. So it would be up to the DO to make the call as to whether to recommend changes or ignore them. I think - not sure?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 12:03 PM
Salty Town

Quote:

The Mother House is not brick. It is cheap precast concrete panels.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=...,0.023324&z=16

In my opinion the brick is the only feature worthwhile in the Sacred Heart addition and then the tint should have matched the main building....something like the VG with its additions. (VG now being covered in plastic) The upper and lower level of the Sacred Heart are cheap and ugly in my opinion.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=...,0.011662&z=17

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 9:36 PM

Quote:
My experience out here in Calgary with design pannels is that usually you have a couple different designers who do projects in the city on them. So when anything they have designed comes up; they must step out and not even be in the room or contribute to the discussion (conflict of interest). So usually when you get into issues of design, you have some people who have experience and knowledge.

The problem though is that changes are voted on by majority and in the Calgary system - if Calgary Planning Commission is acting in the manner of a development officer and is the approving authority and changes are made; they can be appealed. I haven't seen it too often, but it's possible.

In HRM's system though - I would think the design committee would be a recommendation; not having any power to make changes. So it would be up to the DO to make the call as to whether to recommend changes or ignore them. I think - not sure?
The Design Review Panel for downtown Halifax has the power to approve. Their decisions are appealable to council. The panel is supposed to be stocked with enough "design professionals" to allow people to step out in cases of potential conflict of interest. I would say that there haven't been enough proposals go before the panel yet to know if it does any good

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 12:53 AM

Anyday now;

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 2:06 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Anyday now;

Thanks for the update D!

They should really underground those power lines on Victoria Park...

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 6:08 PM

Anglican facility to hold 150 units for seniors
By PATRICIA BROOKS ARENBURG Staff Reporter
Sun, Sep 12 - 4:52 AM

Construction is set to begin on a new Anglican diocesan centre and seniors facility in south-end Halifax.

The site will include an eight-storey, 150-unit seniors’ care facility and a new administrative centre for the church on the first floor. A link with a great hall and other amenities will connect the facility to All Saints Cathedral, which is on College Street.

The diocese looked at a number of options and concluded that "the cost of renovations and bringing the existing buildings up to code was excessive," Bishop Sue Moxley said in a news release Friday.

"At the end of the day, we would still have buildings that did not meet the church’s missions or needs."

The church has partnered with Shannex, a provider of seniors’ care, to build and operate the facility on the church property.

"We are very pleased that the design and look of the new facility will blend nicely with the area and the cathedral next door," Moxley said in the release.

The contents of the former diocesan centre and three other church-owned buildings have been removed and all items of value will be reused. The remaining building frames will be removed, the news release states.

Shannex spokeswoman Helen Patriquin said in an interview Friday that the multimillion-dollar project isn’t a nursing home but will provide accommodations, meals, laundry, housekeeping and other amenities and care services to its senior residents depending on their needs.

In April 2009, Halifax Regional Municipality denied the church’s building application because it felt the project was too residential for an industrial zone.

The church appealed to the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board, which ordered the city to issue the permit. The city took its case to the Nova Scotia Court of Appeal, which upheld the review board’s decision in May.

The details have yet to be finalized in terms of costs, but Patriquin estimates that rents could range from $4,000 to $5,000 a month depending on services required and the size of the rental suites.

The complex is expected to open in the summer of 2012.

( pbrooks@herald.ca)

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 6:16 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

By industrial she means institutional.

And the whole things seems absurd to me given the fact that there are presently houses on that site. Leave it to the HRM to waste its money in a futile fight against an old folks' home.

It is too bad however that those houses aren't being moved, although I guess they might be way too large.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
"We are very pleased that the design and look of the new facility will blend nicely with the area and the cathedral next door," Moxley said in the release.
Uh oh, I hope that doesn't mean it'll look anything like the building on the other side of the cathedral. Bland, cheap...overgrown-Disneyland-crapitecture

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
Uh oh, I hope that doesn't mean it'll look anything like the building on the other side of the cathedral. Bland, cheap...overgrown-Disneyland-crapitecture
That building isn't THAT bad.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth