HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 9:16 PM
菠蘿油

I live in Mile End, Montreal. It's a dense neighbourhood where most people get around by foot and bicycle so there's always a lot of activity. When I sit in the backyard, I hear funny snippets of conversation from people walking down the back alley. Many apartments have huge terrasses in the back so you often hear people talking, eating dinner, hanging out or partying. There are a lot of cats around so you hear them mewing and occasionally getting into scuffles. The squirrels are noisy too. There aren't many dogs, interestingly enough. And the alley is very narrow so cars rarely pass through, which is nice.

Oh, and there's often some sort of construction going on in the summer.

In the front, there's the sound of cars passing, people biking past and a lot of people walking by – my place is right in between two busy commercial streets. In the summer there are often walking tours with groups of Americans learning about outdoor staircases and bagels. You hear a lot of noises in the distance, too – sirens, traffic from major streets, music from outdoor concerts.

There are a lot of huge trees around so the wind is often rustling their leaves, which sounds a bit like the ocean.

In the winter it's obviously much quieter because nobody is hanging out in their yards and everybody has their windows closed. But if you step outside, the sound of traffic is a bit more prominent because there is no greenery to muffle it, and when it snows you hear the heavy mechanical clamour of snow removal equipment, along with the insistent honks of tow trucks warning people that they need to move their cars.

In terms of smell, there's a lot of greenery around so it changes depending on the season. One thing that's very consistent is the faint smell of wood smoke from the three 24-hour bagel factories nearby. And of course there's a lot of delicious BBQ aromas in the summer.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada