HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 2:26 AM
Bobo in Purgatory

Wow, those pillars really project an image of stability, wealth, and good taste! I love how the immaculate landscaping is perfectly in line with the neo-classical precepts of economy and restraint - much thought has clearly gone into it. The mustard stucco blends beautifully with the buff brick at the sides while the stone surround along the bottom of the facade lends a sense a balance to the structure as a whole. All in all, a magnificent edifice, and a testament to the high aesthetic standards of the suburban upper middle class.

Flar, I can't thank you enough for capturing this wonderful home, amongst so many others, which we poor inner city chaps rarely get a chance to see. ;-)

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 2:41 AM

I don't get the "better than American suburbs" comments, as those photos look a lot like some of the newly built Portland suburbs, except the house are ugly with all the "cute" retro design accents. Too gingerbread-ish.

Last edited by rsbear; Apr 13, 2008 at 3:35 AM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post

It's pretty strange for me seeing a generic strip mall filled with generic Canadian strip mall stores. Where is the Dress Barn and the Kohl's and all the other craptastic stuff? It almost looks like a movie set to me. lol
That is not a strip mall, that is a power centre and those are all chain stores. Real strip malls usually have independent stores instead.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 3:08 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Yeah, it reminds me of suburbs of Dallas.

Post of the year.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 3:09 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
That is not a strip mall, that is a power centre and those are all chain stores. Real strip malls usually have independent stores instead.
You can call it whatever you want. It still sucks ass.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 4:02 AM

Of course this should remind you of the suburbs of Sunbelt cites since that is what Canadian cities are basically. After all, hasn't Toronto been called the Los Angeles of the North? That would make Hamilton the Long Beach of the North.

And think about it, over six million people in the GTA and Hamilton live in environments like this, while only around a million live in a true urban environment. Only the sunbelt cities have even close to such a high suburban to urban population ratio.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 4:03 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Interesting, the houses in the two pictures quoted here are from the same development, "The Cascades". This development carved out a shelf about halfway up the Niagara Escarpment and its 126 houses overlook Dundas. It's about a 10-15 minute walk to downtown Dundas. All the houses there have a couple Victorian features tacked on.
i used to play up there when it was a gravel quarry - canada crush. anyway, i hope they stabilized the soil sufficiently...hate to see those 'beauties' slide down the escarpment.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 4:14 AM

Not to shabby!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 4:20 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePinion View Post

Wow, those pillars really project an image of stability, wealth, and good taste! I love how the immaculate landscaping is perfectly in line with the neo-classical precepts of economy and restraint - much thought has clearly gone into it. The mustard stucco blends beautifully with the buff brick at the sides while the stone surround along the bottom of the facade lends a sense a balance to the structure as a whole. All in all, a magnificent edifice, and a testament to the high aesthetic standards of the suburban upper middle class.

Flar, I can't thank you enough for capturing this wonderful home, amongst so many others, which we poor inner city chaps rarely get a chance to see. ;-)
I hope you're kidding. Some of the houses in these photos are nice, but this one is awful.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 4:33 AM
It's Hammer Time

Gonna guess that house is from Ancaster. A lot of the houses being built in Ancaster are with stucco, half brick and half vinyl, pillars and a big front window.

Come to think about it's kinda interesting how each suburb of Hamilton has different type of housing development. Dundas tend to have more complete brick exterior, Ancaster with the pillars and stucco, and Hamilton Mountain with the vinyls.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 4:53 AM
Cambridgite

That's a classic Golden Horseshoe collection of sprawl you got there!

One thing I noticed in the Toronto-Hamilton region is that you have a lot more brick in your new subdivisions, which, in my opinion, looks a lot better! In nearby Waterloo Region, we don't have nearly as much brick as we have vinyl siding.

Count your lucky stars, Hamilton.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridgite View Post

Count your lucky stars, Hamilton.
Beyond depressing... it's soul sucking.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 5:39 AM
It's Hammer Time

You'll find the vinyl siding housing development mostly on Hamilton Mountain, guess it's more affordable.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 5:43 AM
Cambridgite

Now THIS is a wicked picture!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 5:43 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
And think about it, over six million people in the GTA and Hamilton live in environments like this, while only around a million live in a true urban environment. Only the sunbelt cities have even close to such a high suburban to urban population ratio.
Uh, about 3 million/half of the GTA's population lives in apartments, with the same amount (and another 0.5 in Hamilton) living in infinitely more urban communities (TO + Mississauga). So, not exactly representative of the region as a whole. Also remember that TO's suburbs are much denser than that of Hamilton as we're seeing here.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 5:58 AM
Majestic

*pukes*

Still, it's at least more aesthetically pleasing than Calgary suburbs. Imagine the homes being even closer together and smaller, and all made out of a combination of stucco and vinyl. Only in the wealther estate suburbs do you ever see brick or stone veneers, and then only for small frontal portions of a house.

Flickr

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Of course this should remind you of the suburbs of Sunbelt cites since that is what Canadian cities are basically. After all, hasn't Toronto been called the Los Angeles of the North? That would make Hamilton the Long Beach of the North.
Quick question: How come they say Toronto is the LA of the North?

Now Hamilton being Long Beach of the North, trust me I haven't seen anything that resembles the LBC. Granted Long Beach has suburban neighborhoods, they don't look like these neighborhoods.

As I stated earlier along with others, this could easily fit right in a suburban Dallas community. Even still I think the areas I've seen in Dallas looks slightly better looking.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 7:05 AM

I don't why, but those photos are incredibly appealing. Thanks.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 7:27 AM

Here you go, Canada meet suburban Dallas. Looks kinda the same to me.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 7:31 AM

These two look very similar

Canada

Suburban Dallas, USA

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos