HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 12:20 PM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2016 in Queenstown, New Zealand

Queenstown is a beautiful tourist spot on the opposite coast from Christchurch. Snow-capped mountains and a beautiful lake make this a smaller version of Vancouver.

The lakefront is full of hotels. This is a tourist town.

Yet, it was early spring, so despite the snowstorm a few days earlier, the cherry blossoms were also out.

For those with deeper pockets, take this historic boat for a cruise along the lake.

No trip would be complete without visiting Bob's Peak for a view of the town and its surrounding mountains. There was a sign for hiking next to the gondola station. I looked at the map, which in its 2D dimensions, didn't portray the climb being too crazy. I could see almost to the end of the gondola from the bottom, so how bad could it be? The estimated arrival time by taking the free Tiki trail was 1 hour only, which was plenty as I had nothing else to do that day.

To save 33 bucks, I headed into the forest to start my way up. What a big mistake. The route was muddy and quite steep. In fact, it wasn't really a trail at all, but just a mud track. I suppose the gondola operators predicted this by installing a sign here.

There were scantly few hikers on the Tiki trail, so I presumed everyone took the gondola up. It was crowded but still possible to sneak up front for a full view by the railing.

Arrowtown has a quaint historic "market" street that has now been turned into a tourist attraction selling the typical tourist fare. There was ample street parking, although I later found a proper parking lot at the other end of the retail strip.

At the other end of the street is the Chinese settlement, which had a lot of display panels outlining the history of mining in the area, why the Chinese were here, and the discrimination they faced. There weren't too many intact structures along this stretch anymore, but it was well explained and quite impressive.

More on my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/nz-queenstown.htm

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 12:58 PM

Gorgeous. Maybe a little more Victoria than Vancouver but a good analogy just the same.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 7:43 PM

Banff on steroids.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 5:11 PM
Hong Kong

Lake Hayes is just east of the city and was quiet this morning. The views are great and the snow stayed on the mountains.

I then headed uphill for a view of the area. Queenstown lies in the background, hidden by the rugged terrain.

Queenstown also lies on another lake. Although still a bit cool, but a waterfront walk is still quite pleasant.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 8:47 PM
Kicking it Viking style..

Lovely shots mate - New Zealand is a must visit for me!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 5:38 PM

NZ seems truly unique. I can't help but think of comparisons to a lot of places on the NA west coast. The area around Auckland looks so much like SF, but these areas look like mining towns in the Sierra Nevadas.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 3:05 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
NZ seems truly unique. I can't help but think of comparisons to a lot of places on the NA west coast. The area around Auckland looks so much like SF, but these areas look like mining towns in the Sierra Nevadas.
Yes it has similarites being British colonial.

Great shots HK! I need to get back for a visit....

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos