HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Aug 12, 2005, 11:54 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here is a map I made for Halifax:

It is not really a "fantasy" map but rather a combination of existing transit lines and future proposals. The solid lines except for the light blue are BRT and are under construction with the Portland corridor to begin service in 9 days (purple/blue). The BRT basically consists of better buses with fewer stops, better stations, some dedicated roadway and advanced signalling. The light blue line is a proposed diesel light rail line that would run along existing track.

The broken lines are for ferry routes. The Alderney and Woodside ferries already exist and the Bedford ferry is being planned. The Purcell's Cove ferry is something that would come in the future. The Shannon Park ferry stop has been proposed as part of a new stadium development.

Rapid transit around the core of the city is notably absent and isn't really figuring into any municipal plans. If I had the choice I'd create a light rail system (probably a loop) on the peninsula initially with a line out to Clayton Park on the mainland.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2005, 2:05 PM

Philly today.

Philly circa 1980.

Philly in geographic terms today.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2005, 8:31 PM
Good times!

Excellent quality maps, Lucius. I have seen the first and third map posted elsewhere, but the second one was new to me. Interesting, and stylistically very nice. I took the liberty of finding the large sized version on your website

Old Posted Sep 17, 2005, 7:30 AM
Operator No. 9

PracticalVisionary, nice fantasy map. a few questions for you: what's the difference between the regular LRT lines (e.g., blue) and the "LRT trunk line(s)" (e.g., vermont)? is that an extension of the red line a short distance south along the river? or merely the existing yard? finally, is the distinct linear corridor slicing southeastly across long beach from willow and long beach blvd. on the blue line an old PE ROW? it appears to head toward seal beach/orange county. know if there are any plans or ideas (maybe yours? ) to run transit along that corridor? actually, looking at google maps, it does appear as if it runs all the way to seal beach. maybe an old freight line? or indeed PE? old rail rights of way fascinate me, as i wonder what it must have been like when trains actually ran there. the east bay in the bay area has several abandoned ROWs, some converted to trails, some developed over. bye bye, history.

and if you ever find that track map, i hope you post it here.

Lucius, what program(s) did you use to create those maps? very sharp, professional.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2005, 10:50 PM
I just ran out of B***sht

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvillain
...what's the difference between the regular LRT lines (e.g., blue) and the "LRT trunk line(s)" (e.g., vermont)?
The difference is in how they'll operate. I'm thinking of a hybrid of sorts. The Blue Line has that potential, but it will run down one corridor with no potential for extra branches. Where as here, they utilize Light Rail Vehicles and operate them in Heavy Rail capabilities. Having the corridor run longer trains (up to 6 LRV's) in Subways or in Elevated sections in dense areas. Then breaking off into smaller units to run in other lower-density and at-grade portions/areas. The one thing that is missing are the other smaller route branches done in a lighter line. To increase coverage using available and street Rights-of ways

Quote:
is that an extension of the red line a short distance south along the river? or merely the existing yard?
It's merely a cute name for the existing yard with an actual station on it that hasn't been planned.

Quote:
Finally, is the distinct linear corridor slicing southeastly across long beach from willow and long beach blvd. on the blue line an old PE ROW? it appears to head toward seal beach/orange county. know if there are any plans or ideas (maybe yours? ) to run transit along that corridor? actually, looking at google maps, it does appear as if it runs all the way to seal beach. maybe an old freight line? or indeed PE? old rail rights of way fascinate me, as i wonder what it must have been like when trains actually ran there. the east bay in the bay area has several abandoned ROWs, some converted to trails, some developed over. bye bye, history.
They paved and developed over that entire ROW. So no use there. But there are others that is in another map. I'll work on that soon because I need to start over cause the map is getting too pixelated.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2005, 2:57 AM
Good times!

Here's another map I have made, kinda random this time. A Toronto geographic transit map:

Along with a link to the version with a satelite image overlay (680k)

Old Posted Nov 9, 2005, 10:00 PM

Hey MSPtoMKE,

I loved your Chicago maps from a while back, but now when I click the links it gives me a 403 Forbidden error

Old Posted Nov 10, 2005, 7:01 AM
Good times!

Thanks, I'll work on getting them back up. I had to get a new Credit Card and Check Card a while back (lost wallet), which messed up the billing for my webhost. I might take this little speed bump as a chance to get a new webhost, we'll see.

EDIT: Fixed!

Last edited by MSPtoMKE; Nov 22, 2005 at 6:53 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2005, 6:53 AM
Good times!

Wheeeee, another one!

...and the requisite link to the larger one with a satelite overlay. (~1.7 megs!)

Old Posted Nov 24, 2005, 11:28 AM

MSP, i'm ripping you off here.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2005, 1:11 PM
Just a sailor

Now that I finally have ArcGIS, I might need to hunt down some data (plus a good ArcGIS for Dummies book) to see if I can top these two...

Old Posted Nov 29, 2005, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Lucius, what program(s) did you use to create those maps? very sharp, professional.
I'm using Adobe Illustrator 10. I'm still using it even though it's an old program. Also, never underestimate the power of Helvetica. Thanks.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2005, 6:36 AM

I have a big Portland region transit map that I've been working on forever, something tells me I'm probably not doing it the most efficient way... I'm using Illustrator and some screenshot maps and tracing the rivers and routes. Is this how other people do it?

where does one get data for GIS thats somewhat inexpensive? our regional government sells portland metro GIS maps for $900/yr

Old Posted Dec 4, 2005, 2:40 PM
Just a sailor

Quote:
where does one get data for GIS thats somewhat inexpensive?
I've generally just searched around on the various government websites looking for what often are free shapefile downloads. Last night I finally found and hit the gold mine for Mississippi...

Never been to their site, but my first thought is searching around on ODOT's site (assuming you haven't been there already looking for GIS data).

Old Posted Dec 10, 2005, 6:08 PM
Just a sailor

Rough maps so far, but this page has the general corridors for my fantasy Twin Cities system.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2005, 8:44 PM

thanks for suggesting odot they have free high quality maps on there with different layers and dont mind other people using them... only problem is the maps are in microstation .dgn files and i need to convert them to autocad .dwg

Old Posted Dec 18, 2005, 7:33 PM
Just a sailor

Added another map, fleshing out my theoretical LRT system in the Twin Cities.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2005, 11:29 PM
I just ran out of B***sht

Fantasy Part 2 of LA

Last edited by Wright Concept; Jan 25, 2006 at 1:17 AM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2005, 4:41 PM
YIMBY co-founder

I made a map of plans for Stockholm's rail net. All of it is based on on actual official plans/studies, Only one little thing I've added (but then, it makes so much sense)

Today:

2030?:
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Jan 5, 2006, 1:12 PM

Philadelphia: Rail, Transit & Population Density

High density development has generally followed rail transport, including streetcar/trolley networks, which aren't shown in this map.
Diagrams | SVMetro Blog | "Urban planning, whether based in projects, plans, or process, works only when the results are feasible simultaneously in physical, functional, financial, and political ways. Having merely one or two of these feasibilities just won't work" --Alexander Garvin

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art