HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the great update Danske! A lot of great infill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanskeUtahn View Post

Here are photo updates on a couple projects in downtown and sugarhouse.

Skyhouse Apartments

[IMG][/IMG]

Hardware Village

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Pierpoint Apartments

Foundation work is underway we will soon see it rise!
[IMG][/IMG]

Sugarmont

[IMG][/IMG]

21 by Urbania

[IMG][/IMG]

The Morton
Pouring the foundation

[IMG][/IMG]

Milagro Apartments

[IMG][/IMG]

Marriot Hotel

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 6:25 PM

Thanks for photo update Dankse! I don't think I've ever seen you post on here, but sure appreciate it.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Thanks for photo update Dankse! I don't think I've ever seen you post on here, but sure appreciate it.
No problem, I am a Happy Valley kid that is why.(Utah Valley)

Last edited by DanskeUtahn; Mar 18, 2018 at 8:45 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 9:47 PM

There are many other factors that determine how well a state is managed, besides being fiscally conservative. Utah fails in every other way.

Utah is lucky that we have a thriving tech scene, otherwise, unemployment would be far higher. That has little to do with the state itself.

I don't know what USA Today is smoking, but Utah doesn't have "smart" or "sustainable growth." I'd like to see their source material for the claim that air pollution has fallen by 50% because I don't believe that. UTA built the transit infrastructure DESPITE the state, not because of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
December 7, 2017 - Best Run States Rankings - 247wallst.com

As also reported by USAToday.com - https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ted/926586001/

[B]In the United States, the federal government is the ultimate legislative authority — wielding the power to regulate commerce, declare war, as well as establish and maintain a currency. Beyond that, however, the U.S. Constitution grants states considerable leverage in the management of their own internal affairs.

2. Utah:

2016 Unemployment: 3.4% (8th lowest)
> Pension funded ratio: 85.7% (12th highest)
> Credit rating and outlook: Aaa/Stable
> Poverty: 10.2% (7th lowest)

Utah’s population has increased by about one-third since 2000. As Utah’s population expanded, the state has been able to achieve smart, sustainable growth. Water consumption fell by approximately 25%, largely due to increases in housing density that resulted in smaller lot sizes. Air pollution has fallen by roughly 50%, partially as the result of an extensive clean air campaign. Also, the number of vehicle miles traveled per person has remained largely unchanged due to increases in density and public transit infrastructure.

Due in part to a growing GDP, the state’s economy has easily accommodated the population influx. Utah’s economy expanded by 3.7% in 2016, nearly the fastest GDP growth among states and more than double U.S. economic growth the same year. As of 2016, just 3.4% of Utah’s workforce were unemployed, and only 10.2% of residents lived in poverty, far less than the 4.9% national unemployment and 14.0% poverty rates.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
There are many other factors that determine how well a state is managed, besides being fiscally conservative. Utah fails in every other way.

Utah is lucky that we have a thriving tech scene, otherwise, unemployment would be far higher. That has little to do with the state itself.

I don't know what USA Today is smoking, but Utah doesn't have "smart" or "sustainable growth." I'd like to see their source material for the claim that air pollution has fallen by 50% because I don't believe that. UTA built the transit infrastructure DESPITE the state, not because of it.
Will you eleborate on all the other criteria you evaluate a state on? Utah not only doesn’t do well in those other areas but fails according to you. That is quite a statement. Also, your assertion that we are “lucky” to have a tech scene implies it is that way by no efforts or policies of our own. Also quite a statement. Can you elaborate more? The claim that we have smart or sustainable growth can be justified if we talk in degrees and relative to many other areas and not as a binary yes or no answer.

Lastly, I would like their data on pollution levels, but the U. has a great website that gives historical pollution data. While the state over sells the improvements at times other groups exaggerate it and act as if the sky is falling. This data shows more of a middle ground. Bottom line, air pollution has steadily improved despite population growth and a lot more tourism. That is great news, but we still rank 2nd out is 56 states and territories in toxic release per square mile. No good news.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
And how many tower cranes does Salt Lake City have downtown??? A big fat zero as far as I can tell. What ever happened to Downtown Rising???? What a big joke!!!!!!
There's actually cranes all over downtown. Walk around sometime.

@thinkbigd

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post

I think the success of the economy has a ton to do with the state. And by that I don't really mean the government, but the young culture here and entrepreneurial spirit - having such a huge amount of youth means the economy always adapts to whatever is the next big thing.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 6:01 AM

I don't understand all the negative talk about our state government. Utah is not failing. I have spent time in Mississippi. That is a state that is failing.
There are states that are growing, there are states that are stagnant and there are those where it feels like everyone is trying to get out as fast as they can. We are not Austin or Seattle, yet, but we are at least in the growth category and we can be thankful for that.

Last edited by RC14; Mar 19, 2018 at 6:14 AM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 7:42 AM

It's easy to criticize from within, and it's easy to criticize the social policies because those do fail a good portion of the population. I would like to see rankings that take into account how a state treats their poorest group of people because I do think Utah fails when it comes to that (although many other states are failing at that too).

Economically speaking, and in terms of management of existing resources, Utah is doing far better than most states. It's almost impossible to argue against that.

As far as the sustainability goes, I feel like sometimes people on here think that Utah is the only place that still clings to uncontrollable sprawl, when in fact, some states are much worse or at least as bad when it comes to that.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post

@thinkbigd
That’s a great shot! The North West, south west and east parts of the Downtown area have projects underconstruction. It’s really nice to see so much density being constructed

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 3:57 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
That’s a great shot! The North West, south west and east parts of the Downtown area have projects underconstruction. It’s really nice to see so much density being constructed
Agreed. Absolutely unreal the amount of development in our downtown and greater market. On par and possibly exceeding, in volume per capita, any one of the big markets in America. Not sure how that's lost on this page so much. They will write books about this era of building in Utah.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
On par and possibly exceeding, in volume per capita, any one of the big markets in America. Not sure how that's lost on this page so much. They will write books about this era of building in Utah.
Probably because that is not true

Maybe out of the small markets yes, but not "on par" with and "possibly" exceeding any one of the big markets in America

Examples of cities building far more urban developments:
Seattle
Austin
Denver
NY
Chicago
Miami
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Minneapolis
Houston
Dallas
Philly
Atlanta

Do I need to go on?

Tell me, where is Salt Lake "on par" or "exceeding" any of these cities? Give me a break... I love all the development here but lets not get delusional. Maybe we build more houses and suburban crap but we definetly are not on par or exceeding any given big markets in America

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 4:15 PM

Also agree Marvland, and a fantastic shot Tony!! I guess you showed him. One only need look at your post and DanskeUtahn's updates to understand that there are significant infill projects under construction all over the city. Ha, I think some people must be spending too much time in their basement. Now, let's just add Richee, 151, Held, Patrinely and a number of the other medium and larger projects slated for ground breaking or continuing their ongoing projects like Salt's Hardware project. This coming year the whole CBD could look like this Hardware sector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post

@thinkbigd

Last edited by delts145; May 1, 2018 at 1:15 PM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 5:56 PM
They all float down here

Just because Utah isn't as bad as Mississippi doesn't mean it's not failing. The state has a strong economy - and that's about it.

It also ranks...

5th in suicides
14th in drug use
20th in drug-overdose deaths
17th in opioid overdose deaths
27th in high school graduation rates

That's just touching part of the problems that are hitting Utah. But we don't talk about those problems enough and certainly the legislature isn't really focused on improving them (at least seriously, it seems). But hey, the governor launched a task force to look into youth suicides so, we're saved!

Utah has a lot to offer but it does no one any good to pretend the state isn't struggling from a lot of issues - especially issues that only hit a handful of western states. Want to address the opioid and heroin crisis in Utah? Push for legalization of marijuana. Want to do something about the high youth suicide rate in Utah? Push for more laws that protect gay and lesbian youths, who make up a disproportionate number of those suicides. Want to have graduation rates toward the top of the country? Invest in education smartly. There was a time, in the early 00s, where Utah was in the top5 nationally in graduation rates. Not anymore.

Want to fix the pollution? Push for smarter development. The state has shown no regard for city rights with their land grab of Salt Lake property so maybe they should step up and expand on that and start grabbing other city land throughout the state and developing it smartly (I'm only being facetious here).

But hey, we can post the goddamn same photo twice on this page to prove how great Utah and Salt Lake is doing.

Tell that to the homeless person that still is struggling to find a place to stay or the parents of the kid who hanged himself because we've got culture warriors dehumanizing trans-gendered youths. I bet they care about those cranes.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 6:33 PM

^^^^^^

Are you shaming people for posting pictures of Developements on a development thread?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 7:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
^^^^^^

Are you shaming people for posting pictures of Developements on a development thread?
If you read what he said then you would understand that it looks like hes trying to say that by posting a picture of developments in a city doesn't prove squat about how efficiently run a state government is. It only tells part of the story. Which has been the topic of discussion of late. You know, Detroit is undergoing a significant amount of development in their city, that must mean Michigan is a very well run state, despite the Flint water problems among many others.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 7:49 PM

You are right. Maybe it was they way I read the post. I appreciate the passion. I really do. But I kinda got a laugh out of that part of his post. There sure is a lot of possible developments but until they break ground I think a lot of us are feeling anxious about the what if’s that may skunk them from getting off the ground.

Anyway, keep the posts coming

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 9:39 PM

Downtown pics

These pics were taken by myself at the Marriott downtown location. From this angle and this vantage point, Salt Lake takes on a scale that seems like a bigger city.

At dusk:

Next Morning in the AM:

Tyler

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Just because Utah isn't as bad as Mississippi doesn't mean it's not failing. The state has a strong economy - and that's about it.

It also ranks...

5th in suicides
14th in drug use
20th in drug-overdose deaths
17th in opioid overdose deaths
27th in high school graduation rates

That's just touching part of the problems that are hitting Utah. But we don't talk about those problems enough and certainly the legislature isn't really focused on improving them (at least seriously, it seems). But hey, the governor launched a task force to look into youth suicides so, we're saved!

Utah has a lot to offer but it does no one any good to pretend the state isn't struggling from a lot of issues - especially issues that only hit a handful of western states. Want to address the opioid and heroin crisis in Utah? Push for legalization of marijuana. Want to do something about the high youth suicide rate in Utah? Push for more laws that protect gay and lesbian youths, who make up a disproportionate number of those suicides. Want to have graduation rates toward the top of the country? Invest in education smartly. There was a time, in the early 00s, where Utah was in the top5 nationally in graduation rates. Not anymore.

Want to fix the pollution? Push for smarter development. The state has shown no regard for city rights with their land grab of Salt Lake property so maybe they should step up and expand on that and start grabbing other city land throughout the state and developing it smartly (I'm only being facetious here).

But hey, we can post the goddamn same photo twice on this page to prove how great Utah and Salt Lake is doing.

Tell that to the homeless person that still is struggling to find a place to stay or the parents of the kid who hanged himself because we've got culture warriors dehumanizing trans-gendered youths. I bet they care about those cranes.
I agree with most of your concerns (particularly how the culture treats sexual minorities), but your statistics do not show Utah "failing" at everything other than a strong economy as Stenar claimed. This post is very hyperbolic just like Stenar's. We have plenty of issues as a state, but exaggerating them does not do any good.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 10:45 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West