HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 5:28 AM

Regarding Iberville:

I, too, was somewhat disgusted by the fuzzy renderings on the WWL news a couple nights ago. It really did look like the lousy apartment complex in the lower Garden District near Mardi Gras World. But then I downloaded a PDF of the actual detailed plan, and the faux-historic architecture is actually extremely well done, with some modernist embellishments like super-sized windows in some of the buildings. Also the variety of the townhouse styles seems good. If you haven't looked at the full 27 page plan, I really encourage you to.
Here's a link to the PDF file: http://www.hano.org/documents/ibervi..._Design_sm.pdf.

I've driven through all the redeveloped projects, and I think the St. Bernard redevelopment is by far the nicest. This one, if the materials are good, will be better than that one. I agree that some urban details, like street parking and some stores intermingled with the residences, will go a long way to making this part of the city fully functional.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 5:31 AM

Regarding David Vitter:
As a native New Orleanian, what the hell does he think he's doing by trying to derail the hospital project? I thought that after six years of not having a hospital, even someone with the intelligence level of Vitter would realize that the time to negotiate and stall has passed. I must be wrong. And if Jindal does any more vacillating, after he said months ago that the hospital was definitely being built on the WWL morning show and other places, well..... there may be a special place in hell for people who deprive care for those in need on the grounds of political gain.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 5:35 AM

2 quick updates:

Perseverance Hall is open in Armstrong Park http://www.wdsu.com/news/28250459/detail.html

Lafitte Corridor may begin public hearings in August http://www.fox8live.com/mediacenter/...net&navCatId=3

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Blitzen: the two Canal Street towers are not senior housing. Only the Texaco Building is. Also, no additional land is going into the government's hands. The adjacent parcels that aren't currently part of Iberville won't be transferred to public ownership: they will be owned and managed by the joint venture of HRI and McCormick Baron Salazar.
Good news, I feel slightly better about this proposal.

My last remaining question is whether the newly redesigned streets will be wide enough for parking? If so on one side or both? The reason I ask, is because the influx of free parking would be a tremendous boon for the Quarter, Canal Street, the Saenger, and everyone else.

Lastly, I'm more confident than ever my suggestion last week about turning the Municipal Auditorium into a 15-20 screen movie theater would be feasible and successful.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 7:03 AM

Regarding Vitter and the Hospitals-I don't really understand how these people don't understand that the size of the new teaching hospital is intended to be in relation to the growth of the region and not just the city.The idea is to not just build another Charity but to develop a economic engine.It will benefit everyone in years to come.

Also i find the scattered sites to be interesting in the fact that they are being planned for areas that are in general neglect.Can they act as anchors for the revitalization of those neighborhoods?Will all these new initiatives take hold and really change New Orleans into a functional and thriving southern city?I certainly hope so.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 4:51 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanwatcher View Post
Regarding Vitter and the Hospitals-I don't really understand how these people don't understand that the size of the new teaching hospital is intended to be in relation to the growth of the region and not just the city.The idea is to not just build another Charity but to develop a economic engine.It will benefit everyone in years to come.

Also i find the scattered sites to be interesting in the fact that they are being planned for areas that are in general neglect.Can they act as anchors for the revitalization of those neighborhoods?Will all these new initiatives take hold and really change New Orleans into a functional and thriving southern city?I certainly hope so.
Perhaps we should get Vitters former Madame to spank him for being a naughty boy... sure he'd like that!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 6:09 PM

Vitter

Well, I'd like for her to do that, but I just dont want to be there to watch.

I think Vitter is being a typical Republican right now at the expense of economic / physical development. If he were to support the project that would go against the current mantra of cutting spending and big gov't projects / bailouts, but this is something that is ACTUALLY needed and actually worthwhile unlike so much of what the Republicans are trying to cut. And I agree with them, a lot of this is crap that needs to be cut out, but this is actually something good, it's important to the whole region and especially the city.

But, politicians are politicians. They're in the business of getting reelected and they'll do what it takes to make it happen even at the expense of their own city's health and development.

In reality, I don't think he has the ability to legitimately derail it. He probably secretly supports it but is trying to show his fellow conservatives how good of a boy he is.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 4:26 AM

Totally agree that Vitter is just trying to score political points concerning the UMC. This new proposal has about as much chance of surviving as a fart in the wind in my opinion. It's ridiculous to think that having the medical center spread over 3 far ranging sites would be more efficient. In reality, the Kaufmann Hall report said that up to 400 beds would be necessary given the local demographics. This is not far off from the 424 beds currently envisioned. Plus, as the population grows the need for more beds will arise. Thus, any extra beds will be used down the road allowing for growth in the existing medical center framework.

Finally, this project is too far down the road to be changing anything now. Most of the properties have been purchased with demolition actively occurring. There is more than enough money on hand to begin construction on the main part of the hospital, and that should begin later this Fall according the latest timelines.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 6:11 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
My last remaining question is whether the newly redesigned streets will be wide enough for parking? If so on one side or both? The reason I ask, is because the influx of free parking would be a tremendous boon for the Quarter, Canal Street, the Saenger, and everyone else.
I don't know entirely. Marais and Bienville will have little neutral grounds, so that probably means the parking will be eliminated. The other streets will have at least one side of parallel parking.

I just wish we could get rid of that damn RV park. What the hell, New Orleans? Talk about an obsolete trend...

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 3:10 PM

NIMBY Craaaaap

The Uptown Messenger continues it's NIMBY slant...but at least I'm satisfied with the condo decision. It floors me that the neighborhood "preferred" single family homes. That's fine for the other parts of the property, but it's a FOUR STORY SCHOOL BUILDING!!!! That would be quite the mansion and quite impractical as a single family home. Oh well.

http://uptownmessenger.com/2011/06/d...er-nocca-site/

"With tentative neighborhood support after a meeting with the new owner of the former NOCCA school building, high-end condos are emerging as a likely next life of the century-old Uptown New Orleans landmark....."

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
Well, I'd like for her to do that, but I just dont want to be there to watch.

I think Vitter is being a typical Republican right now at the expense of economic / physical development. If he were to support the project that would go against the current mantra of cutting spending and big gov't projects / bailouts, but this is something that is ACTUALLY needed and actually worthwhile unlike so much of what the Republicans are trying to cut. And I agree with them, a lot of this is crap that needs to be cut out, but this is actually something good, it's important to the whole region and especially the city.

But, politicians are politicians. They're in the business of getting reelected and they'll do what it takes to make it happen even at the expense of their own city's health and development.

In reality, I don't think he has the ability to legitimately derail it. He probably secretly supports it but is trying to show his fellow conservatives how good of a boy he is.
It's totally appropriate for any conservative to question the amount of spending on any government project especially when we are trillions in debt. It's also conservative to get the best investment for the best lon-term return. As I see it, building this hospital is a legitimate function of government to serve the peoples health needs and also to maximize future economic growth. Too many people from across the spectrum agree on this. If they can cut waste without substantaially delaying the project I'm all for it. My only issue with Vitter is why he came to the table so late. I'm not aware of any re-election issues he has. In fact, this couls hurt him more politically than help. I hope it's not because of any cronie capitalism going on. Conservative are for free markets and capitalism...not cronie capitalism. Well see.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 6:29 PM

Pile driver is on-site of the new LSUHSC foundation building (Tulane ave across from hospital site). Still can't find online rendering, it is a Mathes Brierre design. Bilboard of the rendering is on the actual site.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 8:45 PM
-

I really hope this is for the Iberia Bank on St Charles Ave. Ready for that eyesore of a corner to be corrected!

1621777 New Orleans, LA Financial 06/17/2011
Description Site work and new construction of a financial building in New Orleans. Completed working drawings call for the construction of a two-story, approximately 5,000-square-foot bank branch with lobby, teller areas and vault space. The owner has determ...Click here for complete Project Details

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
My main concerns about any development are whether or not it will increase property value for the surrounding area, will it revitalize major streets nearby, and will it bring density to places that should have more density?

Unfortunately the answer to these questions are: slightly, slightly, and yes - but not necessarily the kind of desirable people for that prominent area of town.

Take for example the mid-rise building on Canal Street that's for elderly housing. While it's nice in concept, those 2 blocks will essentially not contribute anything to the urban fabric. Other than the handful of employees, people in assisted living centers do not walk around the neighborhood and spend money. Even worse, the 10 blocks of subsidized housing for low income/poverty level people, in denser numbers, living near the French Quarter/downtown, many of whom are unemployed or unemployable, is not exactly screaming revitalization. It screams more of the same to me, or perhaps even worse, as this project will be bigger than before.

Sorry to be so pessimistic.
I hope you and others realize that this is just any development, this is a redevelopment of public housing so your priorities are completely divorced with the purpose of this project.

While your slightly slightly etc benchmark may be important to you it's beyond irrelevant and I would argue ludicrous.

While you may believe the conversion of an abandoned and blighted tower to a fully occupied and crime free senior living facility I can assure you that it's return to commerce in any capacity is a big win for Canal Street, the DDD and the citizens of NOLA who will now enjoy the increased tax revenue in the city coffers.

I do take issue - and I hope others will as well - with the following statement as it is completely devoid of fact:

"Even worse, the 10 blocks of subsidized housing for low income/poverty level people, in denser numbers, living near the French Quarter/downtown, many of whom are unemployed or unemployable, is not exactly screaming revitalization. It screams more of the same to me, or perhaps even worse, as this project will be bigger than before."

First, only ONE THIRD if this development will be available for "poverty level people". Another third will be available to those dreaded lower income people such as firefighters, police, teachers, students, food service industry employees aka "affordable housing". The final third will be market rate.

Second, density is a GOOD thing in mixed income housing because this model has - time and time again - has proven successful in providing a pathway out of poverty.

Third, Iberville (along with the other four projects) had an employment rate of ABOVE 90%.

Fourth, define "revitalization" because I do not think it means what you think it does.

Fifth, to say this is more or the same is laughable. To suggest its even worse is reveals a level of ignorance that is simply astounding.

A bigger mixed income development translates to an increase of opportunities within the city for those in poverty to join the middle class. The fact you would be opposed to that I believe says far more about you than this project.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2011, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission Most Livable View Post
I hope you and others realize that this is just any development, this is a redevelopment of public housing so your priorities are completely divorced with the purpose of this project. Any purpose of this particular project that does not include as a priority on how this development affects the surrounding area is flawed from the outset.
While your slightly slightly etc benchmark may be important to you it's beyond irrelevant and I would argue ludicrous.

While you may believe the conversion of an abandoned and blighted tower to a fully occupied and crime free senior living facility I can assure you that it's return to commerce in any capacity is a big win for Canal Street, the DDD and the citizens of NOLA who will now enjoy the increased tax revenue in the city coffers. Agree

I do take issue - and I hope others will as well - with the following statement as it is completely devoid of fact:red

"Even worse, the 10 blocks of subsidized housing for low income/poverty level people, in denser numbers, living near the French Quarter/downtown, many of whom are unemployed or unemployable, is not exactly screaming revitalization. It screams more of the same to me, or perhaps even worse, as this project will be bigger than before." I think this project will involve some revitalization but certainly is a question mark right now. The only way this works long term is much better screening on who gets in & who stays. As long as you have a core thugs that call Iberville home, there will be only marginal long term benefits. Hopefully with a mix of a better classs of people, crime wise, they can provide a buffer or dilute the affects of the bad.
First, only ONE THIRD if this development will be available for "poverty level people". Another third will be available to those dreaded lower income people such as firefighters, police, teachers, students, food service industry employees aka "affordable housing". The final third will be market rate.

Second, density is a GOOD thing in mixed income housing because this model has - time and time again - has proven successful in providing a pathway out of poverty.

Third, Iberville (along with the other four projects) had an employment rate of ABOVE 90%.

Fourth, define "revitalization" because I do not think it means what you think it does.

Fifth, to say this is more or the same is laughable. To suggest its even worse is reveals a level of ignorance that is simply astounding.

A bigger mixed income development translates to an increase of opportunities within the city for those in poverty to join the middle class. The fact you would be opposed to that I believe says far more about you than this project. Nobody is opposed to hard working people improving themselves and then becoming one day self sufficient. But this is a special location that has to be designed first & foremost on how it affects Canal St, the FQ & surrounding areas. I just hope spending $650 million on 2500 or so units doesn't give us marginal benefits. I'm not so sure that selling the property to private developers (with some guidelines on redeveleopment) and marrying this with some other monies, and then redeveloping other distressed properties around the city would be more economic..
see red..........

Last edited by greenparrot; Jun 18, 2011 at 3:10 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2011, 3:14 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission Most Livable View Post
Really? If that's the case then why wasn't it "conservative" between 2000-2008 when the national debt was being DOUBLED by so called "conservatives"?

This is nothing more than political grandstanding and gamesmanship with zero regard for what should be important - providing the best possible health care to a city that has been without it since 2005.
Dude stop making sense !!!

BTW I have a friend that works at the HDLC... The Dixie Steakhouse is a go. So they must be doing two steakhouses now!

Last edited by tennis1400; Jun 18, 2011 at 3:37 PM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 3:00 PM
-

New Project in New Orleans East!

[New project.] 1360363 New Orleans, LA Elderly Care / Assisted Living, Hotel / Motel, Medical, 06/20/2011
Description Site work and new construction of a mixed-use facility in New Orleans. Completed plans call for 570,000 square feet of retail space, including 81,200 square feet of restaurant space. There will be four, four-story senior housing buildings and two, ...Click here for complete Project Details

Last edited by tennis1400; Jun 21, 2011 at 10:00 PM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Looks like Iberville has gone to bid already!

[New project.] 1360363 New Orleans, LA Elderly Care / Assisted Living, Hotel / Motel, Medical, 06/20/2011
Description Site work and new construction of a mixed-use facility in New Orleans. Completed plans call for 570,000 square feet of retail space, including 81,200 square feet of restaurant space. There will be four, four-story senior housing buildings and two, ...Click here for complete Project Details
Great news that it's at least moving quickly. It would be great if some part of this were done or at least began by the Superbowl.

Does anyone have the full description? The Hotel/Motel part threw me. Nowhere did I see anything about that in the HANO papers. I think a large-scale parking garage should be added on Basin Street, to help lure more people to the Quarter, help develop those ugly parking lots on Rampart, and to reinforce the finances of the new project with some income.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 6:20 PM
-

Quote:
Great news that it's at least moving quickly. It would be great if some part of this were done or at least began by the Superbowl.

Does anyone have the full description? The Hotel/Motel part threw me. Nowhere did I see anything about that in the HANO papers. I think a large-scale parking garage should be added on Basin Street, to help lure more people to the Quarter, help develop those ugly parking lots on Rampart, and to reinforce the finances of the new project with some income.
Sometimes the way bidclerk categorizes things can be misleading... but there very well could be some sort of hotel concept in there. I think New Orleans is a perfect location for the Yotel concept too..

New City Business Print Edition:

-New Pizza Joint opening up in the Crescent Club Shops called Pizzacare

-Turnbull Family reopens bakery with 30 jobs

- UNO Summer enrollment climbs 70 percent over last year

- Healing Center
(Opening Next Week)- ASI Federal Credit Union, Wild Lotus Yoga, Worldwide Concept Vacations
(Opening in July)- Downtown Fitness Center, Fatoush Restaurant, Maple Street Books
(Opening in August)- Affordable Healing Arts, Art Gallery, Cafe Istanbul(4,200 sft music venue), Crossroads Art Bazaar, Earth Labs, Food co-op, Full Circle Womens Collective, Guardian Angels, Interfaith Center, NOPD Substation

Also of Note is that the Blue Ribbon Panel on Taxicabs is recommending the adoption of London Style cabs for New Orleans as they are considered very efficient and practical. Would be cool to have these cabs as the standard! Never realized the London cab is designed to last 700,000 to 800,000 miles! wow!

Also new Apartment development for the old school building on the corner of Girod and Carondelet:Commercial Change of Use
Work Location 703 CARONDELET ST
NEW ORLEANS LA 70130

Project Description:
CONVERT VACANT COMMERCIAL BUILDING INTO A MIX USE BUILDING(2-COMMERCIAL SHELL UNITS & 28 RESIDENTIAL UNITS) AS PER PLANS. NO EXTERIOR WORK UNDER THIS PERMIT.
Owner:
703 CARONDELET LLC
2600 CALHOUN ST
NEW ORLEANS LA
Job Value($):
$598,412.00
Housing Units:28

Last edited by tennis1400; Jun 20, 2011 at 7:33 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400;
Also of Note is that the Blue Ribbon Panel on Taxicabs is recommending the adoption of London Style cabs for New Orleans as they are considered very efficient and practical. Would be cool to have these cabs as the standard! Never realized the London cab is designed to last 700,000 to 800,000 miles!
Do you have any more information on this? After reading your post, I did some research on the London cabs, apparently they are widely used in Charleston and more sparingly in a few other places. I found the website for the current supplier, http://www.london-taxis.co.uk/index.jsp, and it looks like they would cost around 50k a pop. While I would love to see this happen, I can't see the taxicab bureau implementing rules that would require companies to shell out that much. It would certainly make sense as a long-term investment, but as far as I know we're still emboiled in a fight over mandating credit card machines at the airport.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations