HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 5:47 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
I know this has been mentioned before, but the developer had initially planned to build higher density multi-family in Pointe Hebert. Unfortunately, the underground infrastructure couldn't handle that level of density, and without investment in water and sewer upgrades from the City's end, the project died.
The city should have found a way to make it work. Any upgrades to the sewers will only be more expensive later

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 3:02 PM

Its like three streets of sewer and water.. Such a pissant cost. The City could've worked out a deal with the developer if they were truly serious.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Its like three streets of sewer and water.. Such a pissant cost. The City could've worked out a deal with the developer if they were truly serious.
I believe major upsizing etc. would have been required. I'm sure there are some on the board who know more about this than I do...

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 2:40 PM

Quote:
this was ongoing since late 90's. there use to be HUGE hydro lines going through he property. originally they were going to sell the properties off piece meal, but so much infrastructure was required, they sold to a developer.

nothing wrong with a few streets of houses, then multi story along tache in my opinion!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 5:42 AM

completely wasted and shortsighted decision that will haunt st. Boniface for decades.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 1:55 AM

Our winnipeg??

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Ok this part is weird/dumb to me, from the website:

Wouldn't it have made more sense for the city to just keep this part of the land, instead of force someone to buy it, even though they can't build on it, and then have to buy it back (for sure at a higher value) 5-10 years later when it's time to build the corridor?
Agree! why sell the future transit corridor and strip the density off it. The land described in the EOI is in breach of OURWinnipeg Parks and Open Spaces. Who chose the boundaries with out firstly amending OUR WINNIPEG?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 4:57 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
I know this has been mentioned before, but the developer had initially planned to build higher density multi-family in Pointe Hebert. Unfortunately, the underground infrastructure couldn't handle that level of density, and without investment in water and sewer upgrades from the City's end, the project died.
Are you talking about the presence of the Greater Winnipeg Water District Booster Pumping Station on Tache Nord?

The townhouses on rue Messager, adjacent to the Fort are nice though

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 3:20 PM

Does that station still function? If not, it'd be cool to make some sort of park/attraction out of it... I always thought it was awesome for some reason.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 3:31 PM

Yes, I believe it is still functioning, servicing downtown. There are for sure still pipes passing through there into downtown.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 3:42 PM

It's just a big surge tank. The water level in it correlates with the pressure head in the aqueduct.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 7:32 PM

Quote:
So let me get this straight.

Upgrading a tiny portion of an inner city neighborhood's crumbling wastewater infrastructure = Too much work for the city

Building miles upon miles of new sewer lines for a brand new subdivision = Investing in the future

Just out of curiosity. Did the developer offer to contribute some money to the infrastructure upgrades?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, I believe it is still functioning, servicing downtown. There are for sure still pipes passing through there into downtown.
AECOM Canada Ltd won a tender in 2016 for Professional Consulting Services for the Provision of Preliminary Design Services of the pumps and surge tower.

Apparently the city is looking at doing a complete rehab of the building (including the pumps etc.) and grounds.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 6:57 AM

Still nothing new on this development...

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...486417181.html

Quote:
Tache residents take on developer, city

Condos in limbo until dispute resolved
Ryan Thorpe By: Ryan Thorpe
Posted: 06/25/2018 4:00 AM

A multimillion-dollar condo development in St. Boniface has been held up in the past two years because of opposition from two homeowners who refuse to play ball with the city and a developer.

Pedestrians walking on the 800 block of Tache Avenue in North St. Boniface will likely have their eye caught by two large signs. The first, standing tall in an empty lot, reads: "Coming Soon: 825 Tache Avenue." The second, only a stone’s throw away in a front yard, reads: "825 Tache Condos Not Coming."

"The whole process has been tainted. The city just rubber-stamped this as quickly as they could, before it went through the proper channels, through open house meetings and stuff like that," said Leo Pelland, one of the homeowners holding up the project.

This spring, after more than a year battling the city and developers, Pelland put the hand-painted "not coming" sign up in his front yard.

The dispute involves Pelland and his neighbour on one side, and the city and the developer, Sunstone Resort Communities, on the other. It centres around a piece of property and land-use rights that stretch back decades.

Because of the uncertainty over the project, Pelland said another development in the neighbourhood is at a standstill until his dispute with the city and Sunstone is settled.

"After the city gave (the project) the thumbs-up, I had 30 days to lawyer up and kibosh it. And we went after them, and we kiboshed it. Now, we’re in a stalemate. We’re basically saying, ‘You’re going to have to deal with us,’" Pelland said.

Pelland said that as far back as the late 1950s, the city told residents that properties on the block would be expropriated to become part of Whittier Park. That has never happened. In the early 1990s, Pelland asked the city if he could buy a parcel of land between his property and the park to extend his backyard.

The city turned him down, saying it would be part of the park one day.

"But the city also said, ‘Go ahead and use it. We won’t sell it to you, but you can certainly use the land until the day we’re going to come and expropriate you for the park," he said.

That led to a deal — which he says he has in writing — in which the city outlined that he’d have exclusive rights of the city land surrounding his property until the city moved to expropriate his land.

In recent years, however, the city has apparently changed its tune, with a park expansion seemingly no longer in the cards. Instead, a large plot of city land in the area was sold to Sunstone, so a condo complex could be built. Sunstone approached Pelland and his neighbour, seeking to buy them out, but Pelland characterized the offer as, "So low it wasn’t serious."

Pelland said the company — with the city’s co-operation — tried to build around the two homeowners: a move that would necessitate knocking down Pelland’s sheds and destroying half of his backyard.

"We would have gotten railroaded. They would have pushed their way right through. I would have lost everything: my right to sue, my back lane, my right of way, half my yard. It’s like the city forgot it signed an agreement with me, giving me exclusive right to use the land," Pelland said.

When reached for comment, a Sunstone spokesman said the company was "excited to be a part of rejuvenating the community" and looking forward to breaking ground on the project as soon as possible, but directed all questions to the City of Winnipeg. A city spokeswoman declined to comment on the matter because the case is before the courts.

Pelland, who is paying the legal costs of his neighbour, a woman in her 80s, said he’s sunk around $50,000 into the legal battle so far. He said he and his neighbour are willing to sell the land to Sunstone, but only at a fair price.

"I want the lands professionally appraised. I want 25 points on the land, and I want all of my (legal) costs that I’ve incurred reimbursed," Pelland said.

Know of any newsworthy developments in the local office, retail, industrial or multi-family-residential sectors? Let us know at business@freepress.mb.ca.

ryan.thorpe@freepress.mb.caTwitter: @rk_thorpe
Quote:
https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...saint-boniface
825 Taché Avenue Land: Winnipeg resident goes to court

The real estate project at 825 Taché Avenue is still controversial. A resident of northern St. Boniface began legal proceedings against the City of Winnipeg, which sold land on which it claims to have certain rights.

For several months, large signs on the vacant land of 825 Taché Avenue, in the district of Old St. Boniface, announce the arrival of condos, located on the banks of the Red River.

It has now been more than a year since the City of Winnipeg endorsed the developer of the 78 condominium project to begin construction.

According to Leo Pelland, a resident of the area, the City sold a portion of the land without taking into account certain rights he would have on it. He added that the City of Winnipeg and he will commence legal proceedings, where both parties to the dispute will be able to discuss the case and their evidence.

St. Boniface's municipal councilor, Mathieu Allard, declined to comment on the situation given the court proceedings. In a statement, he reiterated his support for the real estate project.

The Old St. Boniface Residents' Association opposed it. She estimates that the four-building real estate project, including one with seven storeys, proposed by Sunstone Resort Communities, is disproportionate for the area.

With information from Marie-Lise Mormina

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 1:07 PM
There is always a way

This kind of crap is unacceptable. Disproportionate to the area? Where the hell do they think they live?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 5:06 PM

Expropriate that guys land and send him into space. Like I said in the other thread. Winnipeg can't have nice things because the people are stupid.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 6:27 PM

I just don't understand his argument. He admitted the city told him that he could use the land until they want it back. Now they want it back. Why does he feel entitled to be paid for land he doesn't own?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 6:56 PM

Also, isn't his sign illegal? You need approval from the city to have a sign over a certain size, and that size is quite small. Looks like he has a 4'x8' sheet of plywood out there.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 8:05 PM

"i want 25 points on the land"

this guy sounds like a minor character on the sopranos

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 8:47 PM

So he doesn't own the land. Does he have a lease agreement with the City. Something in writing. Otherwise, he has nothing.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 1:11 PM

small minority always have the loudest voice in issues like this. we should form a lobby group and help push projects like this and so many others that get stalled by a minority voice.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan