HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 7:03 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
If the standard is relative to other small Rust Belt cities, that's a very low bar to achieve.

As far as family, meh, that's what plane tickets (as a major airline says: "Delta is ready when you are!") and car trips around the holidays are for. That's also what the telephone, the internet (I.E. Skype) and even direct mail are for.

I can't imagine settling in a relatively hopeless place from a socio-economic standpoint simply because I may spend a few extra hours with mom / grandma in-person.
I kind of feel sorry for you. As I've gotten older, I feel family is number one. Guess I'm just an old sentimental fool who values the people in my life more than money.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Last edited by Ex-Ithacan; Sep 30, 2018 at 8:56 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 7:08 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
The number two reason I couldn't live in Metro Detroit ever again is because the people are just so goddamn cynical about everything. The number two reason is weather.
has this changed at all with the restoration of the ruins of Detroit? the rebirth and investment in downtown detroit is arguably the most interesting urban development in the US right now, even it is mostly the work of one civic minded billionaire. I bet there are plenty of earnest young people at work on these projects.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 7:15 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

another reason to favor the midwest: better home architecture than most places on the east coast (which were less wealthy for most of the 19th century than the MW)

^ that's in indianapolis, probably 1/6th the $/sq foot of what you get in LI or CT.

more:

http://faculty.wcas.northwestern.edu...bs/subgal.html

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 7:22 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
has this changed at all with the restoration of the ruins of Detroit? the rebirth and investment in downtown detroit is arguably the most interesting urban development in the US right now, even it is mostly the work of one civic minded billionaire. I bet there are plenty of earnest young people at work on these projects.
Detroit is *AT LEAST* 20 years behind even the Nashvilles and Chrlottes of the country from becoming a functioning city attractive to transplants and outside companies.

And this is in the backdrop of being home to only 3 major companies tied to single (extremely cyclical) industry that are slowly dying after having peaked (in terms of employment, market share and sales volume) decades ago, thus a not-so-impressive economy.

Everyone is different obviously, but if I were a young educated professional with the world being my oyster, I certainly wouldn't want to spend the prime years of my short life having to rebuild a city in hopes that *MAYBE,* by the time I'm old or even dead, it will be great.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 7:40 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Well, I imagine the young professionals who helped finance and renovate the metropolitan building, the fischer building, (soon) Michigan central station, the book tower, the david stott etc think very differently than you.

I can't imagine a more fulfulling career path than rebuilding central Detroit (which is the center of still-prosperous region btw).

beats bitcoin mining or whatever the cool, smart, hip east coast kids are doing right now.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 7:56 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Well, I imagine the young professionals who helped finance and renovate the metropolitan building, the fischer building, (soon) Michigan central station, the book tower, the david stott etc think very differently than you.

I can't imagine a more fulfulling career path than rebuilding central Detroit
(which is the center of still-prosperous region btw).

beats bitcoin mining or whatever the cool, smart, hip east coast kids are doing right now.
Then don't waste your time trying to convince me.

If you truly feel that way, then take the leap and go for it. What's stopping you?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 8:02 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

dunno, maybe later in my career it would be nice.

look, I love living in New york but appreciate all parts of the country. no need to take an adversarial stance.

You and I probably agree that small midwestern factory towns are not the most compelling places (albion, fort wayne, decatur etc), but there is no reason to dismiss fascinating places like Detroit, or thriving cities with lots of investment (Columbus, grand rapids) that happen to be in the midwest.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 8:11 PM
Closed account

Quote:

look, I love living in New york but appreciate all parts of the country. no need to take an adversarial stance.

You and I probably agree that small midwestern factory towns are not the most compelling places (albion, fort wayne, decatur etc), but there is no reason to dismiss fascinating places like Detroit, or thriving cities with lots of investment (Columbus, grand rapids) that happen to be in the midwest.
"Fascinating" and "thriving" are all subjective terms.

Like I said, I don't see anything special about places like Grand Rapids for all of the reasons I stated earlier. It's great that some people find it fits their needs for whatever reason, but IMO, it's being grossly overhyped by some folks. I didn't even mention Columbus (which isn't in the same league as Grand Rapids BTW), so I'm not sure why you did...

As far as Detroit, it's a place that has a ton of potential and history, but that's about it. From an actual livability standpoint, it's amongst the least desirable major cities in the country for a myriad of reasons I've gone into before. Short of a miracle (Amazon HQ2 would have been that miracle), I don't see that changing before I die. That's not being dismissive, that's just reality.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 8:17 PM
The City

Quote:

Your thoughts here are admirable but ultimately betray a dishonesty that I’ve seen before. Anthony Bourdain, when he did his show on Cleveland, had very positive things to say about the city, and even said “I could live here”. But did he move to Cleveland?

Actions speak louder than words. Talk means little, really. Elitism is a terribly lazy and provincial thing.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 8:21 PM
The City

Quote:
Like I said, I don't see anything special about places like Grand Rapids for all of the reasons I stated earlier. It's great that some people find it fits their needs for whatever reason, but IMO, it's being grossly overhyped by some folks. I didn't even mention Columbus (which isn't in the same league as Grand Rapids BTW), so I'm not sure why you did...
Grand Rapids is overhyped? Who’s overhyping Grand Rapids?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 8:29 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Grand Rapids is overhyped? Who’s overhyping Grand Rapids?
The OP, for starters. Their post read just like a commercial by the chamber of commerce.

They clearly came here only in hopes that others would join them in cheerleading for Fort Wayne and Grand Rapids.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 8:32 PM

I can guarantee that a lifestyle in exurban Atlanta is no different than somebody living in a detached home of a decent income in Fort Wayne. Like, get real.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 8:33 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
...a lifestyle in...Atlanta...
This thread isn't about Atlanta.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 8:36 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Your thoughts here are admirable but ultimately betray a dishonesty that I’ve seen before. Anthony Bourdain, when he did his show on Cleveland, had very positive things to say about the city, and even said “I could live here”. But did he move to Cleveland?

Actions speak louder than words. Talk means little, really. Elitism is a terribly lazy and provincial thing.
Don’t you live in exurban Chicago? Why not move closer to downtown?

It’s hard to uproot your family and career because of an urban preference.

Given the choice, I would move to the Midwest, I’ve been on the east coast long enough.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 8:38 PM
The City

Quote:
The OP, for starters. Their post read just like a commercial by the chamber of commerce.

They clearly came here only in hopes that others would join them in cheerleading for Fort Wayne and Grand Rapids.
Ok. Go ahead and quote me where he specifically is "overhyping" Grand Rapids

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 8:41 PM
BANNED

You guys are getting real weird.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 8:43 PM
The City

^ "Getting" weird?

I've been weird for so long that I don't even know what normal is

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 8:46 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Ok. Go ahead and quote me where he specifically is "overhyping" Grand Rapids
I'm not doing your work. You can read their post just like I can.

Their claims about the "positives" of those cities were all exaggerated and without context.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 8:50 PM

Quote:
This thread isn't about Atlanta.
And it wasn't about Detroit or your incessant HQ2 blatherings either...

You're acting like Fort Wayne and Grand Rapids are these Nigeria slum towns that you wouldn't even live in for family when you're living the exact same lifestyle that isn't exactly anything special.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 8:53 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
And it wasn't about Detroit...
I wasn't the one to first bring up Detroit in this thread.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions