HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 6:06 PM

Lightbulb

Due to the lack of sales tax, I propose funding TriMet through traffic cameras on the Transit Mall and Morrison/Yamhill and on buses. I often eat lunch overlooking the tracks downtown and usually notice at least one car every light cycle driving on the tracks.

For example for a three minute light cycle at one location there would be 20 cars per hour on a track. If they just levied $100 fines for an eight hour period each day this would collect about $5.8 million per year.

MTA is currently using cameras affixed to their buses to enforce bus lanes.
https://www.mobility.siemens.com/us/...-new-york.html

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 2:23 PM

Portland Streetcar takes delivery of first of three LRVs from Brookville.

https://twitter.com/mickjpg/status/1...1MS8a18vQ&s=19

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 4:12 AM

TriMet pilot at Hollywood/NE 42nd Ave looks to improve elevator reliability and curb unwanted behavior

https://news.trimet.org/2023/05/trim...nted-behavior/

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 5:01 PM

Quote:
TriMet shuts down MAX Red Line to PDX for more than 4 months beginning Sunday

Planning travel to the Portland International Airport this summer? Don’t rely on a MAX train ride. TriMet will shut down MAX Red Line service from Gateway to PDX beginning Sunday, June 18 and won’t restore it until as late as October 21.

Those needing to travel between the two stations will be served by shuttle buses. Shuttles will use surface roads to ferry riders between Gateway and PDX and serve all stops in between. Riders should plan at least an extra 30 minutes for their trips. Longer if there’s traffic disruptions on Interstate 205.

Red Line trains will continue running west of the Gateway Transit Center during the duration of the project. But trains between Beaverton Transit Center and Gateway Transit Center will be arriving less often - every 30 minutes instead of every 15.
...continues at the Oregonian.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 4:52 PM
Registered Ugly

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 1:53 PM

^^More ammo for the "build a downtown MAX tunnel" guns. Whatever dispatching/signalling slip-up made the collision possible deserves investigation.

I can at least attest that the shuttle buses worked perfectly fine to bridge the gap that day; I had an appointment near the NE 7th Ave. station, and was encouraged both by the number of people I'd seen riding the MAX, even all the way from/to Beaverton

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 4:45 PM
Registered Ugly

I too have been heartened by what I've been seeing in terms of ridership. However, I recently took transit to Seattle with my 4 year old, including to and from the Amtrak station via MAX, and that will be the last time I do that with a child. Not only was I concerned with his safety, he was exposed to shouted obscenities and racial slurs I hoped to never expose him to as a child. Same happened in Seattle on the bus. It made me seriously question my parenting. I will of course still use it myself on a weekly basis, but no more trips with kids for me.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2023, 2:38 PM

If it's any consolation, your kid probably had no idea what he was listening to. I'm sorry you were exposed to it, too. I will say, there was someone drinking on the shuttle bus that replaced the MAX between those stations that day, but he wasn't completely intoxicated, and was actually being very pleasant and funny in a controlled sort of way.

It's worth remembering that not all behaviors that make us uncomfortable are inherently bad, even though some undeniably are. Being a little self-critical about it isn't totally wrong, even if it shouldn't always be necessary.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 1:45 AM

Links to the January and February Interstate Bridge Replacement Program CAG meetings. The presentations include concepts for the Vancouver Waterfront and Hayden Island MAX stations respectively.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure