HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 7:20 PM

Heritage Trust: Tall Buildings Will Lead to CRIME and INSANITY!!!!

A top-ranked Heritage Granny sent me a report, and it was hil-ar-ious! Chock-full of dire warnings about CRIME and INSANITY, at first I thought I was reading the 1937 Harry Anslinger report about the Devil Marihuana, but then I realized the report was actually describing buildings over seven stories tall !!

You see the stairwells, elevators, hallways and parking garages of tall buildings are very dangerous because they're just havens for all kinds of dangerous criminals and nefarious degenerates just waiting to attack you. The worst thing is, no amount of security can ever protect you! The taller the building, the more crime is generated! Watch out behind you, Fenwick Tower residents !!!!!

PLUS: tall buildings make the people who live in them GO INSANE! Not because of all the drug-crazed Nazis lurking in the stairwell, (this alone would drive anyone nuts) but rather becausein 1975 some British soldiers moved into a high-rise building and 57% of them became "neurotic."

Last edited by Mars; Jun 21, 2009 at 7:22 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 7:32 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
in 1975 some British soldiers moved into a high-rise building and 57% of them became "neurotic."
Hahahaha, 57 percent, really?

I would have thought it would be higher given the fact they are British.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 8:47 PM

Hey!

Now now, don't be dissing mah heritage.

RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAH!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 9:57 PM

O.o
Why, oh why do people still take the Heritage Trust seriously?

If this report is half as silly as it sounds, I don't think the Heritage Trust have any grounds to discuss neuroses unless they're including themselves.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 10:30 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

What garbage! I can name dozens of buildings below 5 floors that have underground parking. Stairs?? Every building above 2 floors has them. Stairs don't have to be 30-40 floors for someone to be attacked. I find those comments entertaining. Next time I'm behind Fenwick I'll make sure to have my 9mil off safety.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 2:39 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
Hey!

Now now, don't be dissing mah heritage.

RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAH!
I have British roots too, but it is a funny stat given the nature of Brits. (As if living in a tower is bad for your mental health... I'm always wayy more ballin at the points in my life when I've lived in a mid-rise/high rise as I am currently.)

Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
A top-ranked Heritage Granny sent me a report, and it was hil-ar-ious! Chock-full of dire warnings about CRIME and INSANITY, at first I thought I was reading the 1937 Harry Anslinger report about the Devil Marihuana, but then I realized the report was actually describing buildings over seven stories tall !!

You see the stairwells, elevators, hallways and parking garages of tall buildings are very dangerous because they're just havens for all kinds of dangerous criminals and nefarious degenerates just waiting to attack you. The worst thing is, no amount of security can ever protect you! The taller the building, the more crime is generated! Watch out behind you, Fenwick Tower residents !!!!!

PLUS: tall buildings make the people who live in them GO INSANE! Not because of all the drug-crazed Nazis lurking in the stairwell, (this alone would drive anyone nuts) but rather becausein 1975 some British soldiers moved into a high-rise building and 57% of them became "neurotic."
you should post the report here

Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
What garbage! I can name dozens of buildings below 5 floors that have underground parking. Stairs?? Every building above 2 floors has them. Stairs don't have to be 30-40 floors for someone to be attacked. I find those comments entertaining. Next time I'm behind Fenwick I'll make sure to have my 9mil off safety.
Funny thing, I have stairs both inside and outside my house and don't remember ever being attacked because of them... well, except for my cat, who likes to think of me as sort of a giant 2-legged mouse...

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 12:04 PM

57% neuroses; also known as the HEINZ effect. JET

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 10:29 PM

Well, it looks like Bev Miller is off her meds again. From the Sunday Herald:

Quote:
Save downtown Halifax

Save downtown Halifax! Send in the highrises! More Scotia Squares! More Aliant buildings! Lots more office towers; they add so much to the street life and block out those pesky bits of sidewalk where the sun still shines and the outdoor cafés flourish. And the wind tunnels they create — sublime.

Away with Historic Properties (it’s old) and what’s left of Victorian Barrington Street; it’s so 19th century. And that view from Citadel Hill has to go; the developers need it. Away with the low-rise older buildings. The lower-priced rental space they offer has been known to harbour those peculiar citizens that Richard Florida refers to as the creative classes: the artists, small business owners and not-for-profits. Sweep the whole lot uptown.

Ah, now, isn’t that much better? Isn’t this what being a world-class city is all about? Are we almost there?

Beverly W. Miller, Halifax

Such a sad case.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 10:45 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Strange that Bev Miller is the only person I've seen ask for more Aliant buildings..

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 2:30 AM
we built this city

Wow, that is written like evil forces of development are moving in... (definitely off meds) These people have an interesting psychological profile. It is almost akin to a "Hoarder".

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 2:41 AM

She must be off her meds...lol...

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 2:54 AM

Just when you think the heritage nuts couldn't get any crazier Bev goes and makes an even worse name for them ...

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 12:54 PM

The funny thing is I could hear her voice when I was reading that. lol

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Wow, that is written like evil forces of development are moving in... (definitely off meds) These people have an interesting psychological profile. It is almost akin to a "Hoarder".
Hahah! That is an excellent analogy. Well said.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues