HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
The planters at Hurdman station, for example, are much better seats than the seats.
I'll have to try those!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 11:01 PM

Severe crash at Tunney's Pasture this afternoon between two artics, one running the 61 (number unclear) and the other the 98 (appears to be 6430). Sounds like the 61 bus hit a turning 98 getting ready to start the route.

I'm a bit surprised it wasn't an eastbound bus hitting a stationary bus - the entrance area is used as a common layover spot, and that is extremely dangerous. It was an accident waiting to happen. Hope no one is seriously hurt - some injuries reported. Transitway is closed there.

Last edited by eternallyme; Feb 7, 2012 at 11:12 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 11:12 PM

Scott street is badly backed up with buses. Perhaps a foreshadowing of traffic woes during LRT construction? (not that I mind the LRT, but commuting over the next few years is going to be a pain in the arse)

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid-rise View Post
Scott street is badly backed up with buses. Perhaps a foreshadowing of traffic woes during LRT construction? (not that I mind the LRT, but commuting over the next few years is going to be a pain in the arse)
They would need to use other streets like the Ottawa River Parkway as well.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 11:25 PM

Best way to bypass is to take routes that do not use that corridor, such as the 2 or 85, or a southbound route and transfer to 101 or 118.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 11:29 PM

It looks like 4 buses were involved - also 4337 eastbound on the 97, and an unknown stationary artic in the "danger zone" spot presumably out of service and possibly empty. They appear to have just been brushed by the unknown 61 bus that slid across and only have minor damage.

Update: it was 6621 that was the other artic badly involved.

Looking at more pics, I am GUESSING that 6430 misjudged the left turn onto the Transitway and hit 6621 (assuming that is the 61 bus) in the passengers side. Perhaps another bus was blocking the view, that is a very tough turn during rush hour and dangerously blinding with high speed buses at high frequencies. They should discourage left turns there, by extending the 98 to Lincoln Fields and running the 86 along Scott Street.

Last edited by eternallyme; Feb 8, 2012 at 12:24 AM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Best way to bypass is to take routes that do not use that corridor, such as the 2 or 85, or a southbound route and transfer to 101 or 118.
Except that with zero elasticity in the system, many of those buses were frigged up as well. There were huge crowds at stops on Bank and Queen when I left work, waiting for local buses that didn't show and didn't show and didn't show.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 3:51 AM

I wonder how Ottawa could eliminate this type of traffic nightmare in such a central location while, at the same time, promote development in central neighbourhoods???

L R T maybe?

If we can build a reliable system, people will flock to buy houses and condos along to route to prevent being victims of buses which are unreliable at best and full opportunities for human error.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
I wonder how Ottawa could eliminate this type of traffic nightmare in such a central location while, at the same time, promote development in central neighbourhoods???

L R T maybe?

If we can build a reliable system, people will flock to buy houses and condos along to route to prevent being victims of buses which are unreliable at best and full opportunities for human error.
It may have been human error, but that left turn is very dangerous - probably the most dangerous on the entire Transitway due to heavy bus traffic, high speeds and poor sight distance. Westboro is just as bad, but only deadheading buses enter the Transitway there.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post

L R T maybe?

Too bad we can't compile all this stuff and email it back to 1974, before they decided to inflict Bus Crappid Transit on Ottawa for a couple of generations.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Too bad we can't compile all this stuff and email it back to 1974, before they decided to inflict Bus Crappid Transit on Ottawa for a couple of generations.
I think we are too critical of what took place in the 1970s. At least Ottawa made a decision to build some form of rapid transit and it was truly innovative. Most other cities in North America just ran their transit systems into the ground during this time period. Also remember, Edmonton was the very first city to take the plunge into LRT. Nobody else was doing it. What they did was not an unqualified success either, so for a generation their decision was questionable. Also, Edmonton had the unique position of having oil royalties during a boom and were hosting the Commonwealth Games in 1978. We were not in a position to make such a risky decision and Ottawa did not have the tax base to build a LRT network comparable to the Transitways. It is clearly being demonstrated that we can't afford to build it today either.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 12:33 AM

For everyone who 'dislikes' OC Transpo, you may find this video satisfying! (Uhuniau I am talking to you)

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainview View Post
for everyone who 'dislikes' oc transpo, you may find this video satisfying! (uhuniau i am talking to you)
bus go boom boom! Bus go boom boom!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 6:05 PM

Mackenzie King Station Post

A new post at Rideau Mackenzie King Station, eastbound.

- stand near the middle of the platform
- watch for your bus route number
- proceed to where the bus stops

Those tips are all reasonable.

Too bad the indoor waiting area (in the National Defence building) is nowhere near the middle of the platform.
And the indoor waiting area is configured in such a way that the middle of the platform is not visible from it, nor the buses who might be there, nor their numbers.

So not to miss your bus, you have to wait outside. Not very convenient in bad weather.

A better designed boarding area would have gone a long way to ease boarding.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 7:36 PM

The city has fired Alain Mercier i am not sure if this is good or bad i guess time will tell.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 8:45 PM

I was never a fan of Mercier...

OTTAWA — Alain Mercier is no longer the general manager of OC Transpo, city manager Kent Kirkpatrick announced in a council meeting Wednesday afternoon.

He’s being replaced by John Manconi, who has been the general manager of public works.

It’s part of a reorganization at the high levels of the city bureaucracy that also sees OC Transpo taken away from the purview of deputy city manager Nancy Schepers and moved to the other deputy city manager, Steve Kanellakos. Schepers is generally in charge of city planning, infrastructure and public works; Kanellakos in charge of softer services.

Mercier appears to be the only manager left out of work.

Garry Queale, the president of OC Transpo’s union, said it’s always sad when someone loses a job, but he admitted that he and his fellow union executives began “grinning from ear to ear” when they heard the news. Queale, whose official job is as a dispatcher, sent word to his fellow dispatchers and they put it out on OC Transpo’s bus radios, he said.

More to come.
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Me...#ixzz1n95oURuc

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 11:58 PM
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
The city has fired Alain Mercier i am not sure if this is good or bad i guess time will tell.
I think it was very much needed, everything happening under his term was terrible from the strike, to the bus fleet, the scheduling, the cuts, the fare hikes, the poor communication (i.e the crash at Tunney's Pasture a couple of weeks ago).

It is definitely not a bad decision made today. Hopefully Mr. Marconi will put some order back in this chaotic business.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 3:25 AM

I had to laugh, because yesterday, I was hoping we'd swoop in and hire up Webster, but I had no idea the City bosses were already planning to fire Mercier.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 5:12 AM
Closed account

I guess there's an opening for Webster then?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 5:56 PM

Lincoln Heights Galleria

Lincoln Heights Galleria is a Shopping Mall just next to Lincoln Heights transitway station.
Yet there is no way to walk from here to there.
A pedestrian bridge would be useful.
Disconnected neighborhoods of a disconnected community.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation