HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Please don’t call people Nazis unless you’re talking about actual Nazis. There’s enough of that in the world right now, thank you very much.
Fair enough. I guess I am old and use it in the Soup Nazi context but now that we have real Nazis making a resurgence it should probably drop from my vocabulary. In my context it means they are extreme. I have nothing against them(heritage activists-thanks Kitichissippi) and respect them pushing for their legitimate views.

Last edited by YOWetal; Apr 27, 2019 at 6:55 AM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 2:09 PM
Busy Beaver

^^^
You might want to write that a little more precisely. Think I know what you mean but it's not exactly clear who you attribute the legitimate views to.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Hmmm...a little of me is with you but most of me is against you. What does 'blend well to the area' really mean? We should build a bridge that matches our logging town roots? Or should we juxtapose and build something that matches our cosmopolitan G7 Capital aspirations... I'm going to go with the latter. I think we should build something avante garde that could become the keystone of the cities rebirth. The timing is excellent for such a thing, with 45-65 story buildings going up. This bridge will be central to the most iconic views in Canada's Capital. Right now, with the exception of Parliament Hill itself, those views are underwhelming. I don't think people around the world have an image of Ottawa in their head...in fact, I don't think people in Canada have an image of Ottawa in their head aside from the Peace Tower. We don't have a notable skyline and there is nothing visually striking aside from the hill. This new bridge could create a view plane that, along with the new skyline, could imprint this city in the eyes of the world. What do you think of when you think of Toronto? The CN tower and the forest of buildings. Instantly. Montreal? Mont Royal with the Skyline in the foreground. Vancouver? The island of towers with the mountains in the background. New York City? The Brooklyn Bridge with downtown in the background. Chicago? The loop with all the bridges and buildings alongside. Singapore? Marina Bay Sands with the skyline in the background. London? The Tower Bridge with the skyline in the background. You get my point. There is an opportunity here. A huge opportunity.

They could build the new bridge similar to the Portage bridge, one of the things I like about that bridge is that I can stop on one side of the bridge an look east or west to take pictures without any obstacles in the way. I disagree the skyline on both sides of the river is more than the peace tower as you would suggest.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 6:43 PM

If we are going to take down this beauty of a bridge (and it sounds like we are) we better replace it with something architecturally interesting. I love this one in Boston:

https://vanyaland.com/2016/04/21/pri...hursday-night/

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/...rgen-roth.html

Or this similar one in Uganda:

https://www.aasafaristours.com/ugand...nja-city-tour/

https://www.newvision.co.ug/new_visi...-commissioning

And this very cool one in Rotterdam:

https://www.nnmarathonrotterdam.org/...hon-rotterdam/

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 7:11 PM

If we are to rebuild it, what kind of traffic it needs to be carrying in the first place?
One lane for cars each way + train + MUP?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 9:33 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

As interesting as these ideas are, and this has been mentioned before, I doubt that the NCC would allow it as it would interfere greatly with the sacred views of Parliament from many different angles. I think that a much "lower" design will be required. I wonder if a design like the newish Barrhaven bridge would be able to span the required width?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 12:36 AM

I don't see a compelling argument why we need to go super-avant-garde-G7-landmark route in this particular location. The replacement to the Alexandra Bridge should not and must not try to compete with the preeminent Ottawa River landmark in the vicinity: Parliament.

The Erasmusbrug in Rotterdam is lovely but works in the local context because it relates directly to the city's vision of rebirth and modernity... it being deprived of key historic landmarks due to WW2.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Nelson View Post
I don't see a compelling argument why we need to go super-avant-garde-G7-landmark route in this particular location. The replacement to the Alexandra Bridge should not and must not try to compete with the preeminent Ottawa River landmark in the vicinity: Parliament.

The Erasmusbrug in Rotterdam is lovely but works in the local context because it relates directly to the city's vision of rebirth and modernity... it being deprived of key historic landmarks due to WW2.
I think there is an opportunity to make a landmark bridge that frames and compliments Parliament. Would you rather the Brooklyn Bridge not 'compete' with Manhattan's skyline? The Millennium Bridge and St. Paul's in London? The Sydney Harbour Bridge with the Opera House? A landmark bridge is absolutely compatible with the most important focal point in a city.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 12:57 AM

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 1:02 AM

Here is an article about the impending work and replacement:
https://globalnews.ca/news/5068783/a...bridge-ottawa/

Alexandra Bridge, one of the five interprovincial connections between Ottawa and Gatineau, could be replaced in the next five to 10 years.

The Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC) won’t say if the bridge will actually be torn down, but spokesman Charles Drouin confirmed there have been preliminary internal discussions about plans to replace it within the next decade.

The Alexandra Bridge is the oldest of the five bridges spanning the Ottawa River, first opening to traffic in 1901. Repairs and maintenance have become a regular occurrence, with at least two major projects scheduled between June 2019 and December 2022.

Even with a demolition tentatively planned in the coming years, PSPC says regular maintenance is necessary to keep the bridge safe until it can be fully replaced.

The first restoration project is set to take place between June 2019 and June 2020, with steel structures being replaced at various locations on the bridge. The Gatineau-bound lane will be closed for the duration of the work, with the centre lane operating as a reversible lane for traffic, while the boardwalk will remain open to pedestrians and cyclists.

Then, from June 2021 to December 2022, the steel under the boardwalk will be replaced. The boardwalk will be closed, with the centre lane being closed to vehicles and used as a temporary boardwalk, and the Gatineau-bound lane serving as a reversible lane for traffic.

The Alexandra Bridge connects Parliament and the National Gallery of Canada on the Ottawa side to the Canadian Museum of History on the Gatineau side and is considered an important connection for tourism in the area.

Among all five bridges, the Alexandra Bridge is responsible for approximately nine per cent of daily vehicle traffic between Ottawa and Gatineau, while the boardwalk accounts for roughly 33 per cent, according to the PSPC.

Demolition and replacement of the bridge, expected to take about three years, would likely lead to congestion issues for the other bridges in the region.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 3:56 PM

Quote:
I think there is an opportunity to make a landmark bridge that frames and compliments Parliament. Would you rather the Brooklyn Bridge not 'compete' with Manhattan's skyline? The Millennium Bridge and St. Paul's in London? The Sydney Harbour Bridge with the Opera House? A landmark bridge is absolutely compatible with the most important focal point in a city.
All those examples suit the area in which they are built and dont compete. Ottawa doesn't need a fancy bridge, just a bridge that suits the area and its needs.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtrainUser View Post
All those examples suit the area in which they are built and dont compete. Ottawa doesn't need a fancy bridge, just a bridge that suits the area and its needs.

I completely disagree. Those three bridges compliment and frame their cityscapes, yet are attractions in their own right. You want to see another basic Macdonald-Cartier road bridge there?! Nepean Point, the National Gallery, Parliament...the new bridge is going to have to integrate with these places and I hope for something very impressive.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 4:18 PM
BANNED

If congestion is an issue, then OC Transpo/STO should just subsidize that amphibus route.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 4:19 PM

Quote:
I completely disagree. Those three bridges compliment and frame their cityscapes, yet are attractions in their own right. You want to see another basic Macdonald-Cartier road bridge there?! Nepean Point, the National Gallery, Parliament...the new bridge is going to have to integrate with these places and I hope for something very impressive.
Actually there is no disagreement, it can be an impressive bridge but it has to suit the area otherwise its just an ugly eyesore. The last photo shown in that post is a close example on what the new bridge should look like.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Which was there first, the Brooklyn Bridge, or the skyline?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Which was there first, the Brooklyn Bridge, or the skyline?
The Brooklyn Bridge was there before a notable skyline

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
The Brooklyn Bridge was there before a notable skyline
Yep and it serves its purpose without being an eyesore

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 2:00 PM

How about practicality?

A modern asymmetrical cable-stay bridge would actually be practical to build from an environmental standpoint, the footing for the main pier could be located below nepean point, or on the gatineau side, and the span could easily extend across the river without touching the river bed or banks at all. Arguably, this would 'open up' views of Parliament rather than obscure them. The current bridge is 'in the way' a lot when you're on the Gatineau side.

Also, I was thinking about this, a new bridge wouldn't really need to be 'flat' you could slope from Nepean point down to the ground level on the Gatineau side, so an asymmetrical pier wouldn't have to be so tall... could be very interesting.

A new 'typical' highway span would require several piers, some directly into the river, and be complex, requiring coffer dams, etc. The deck would also be thicker from a scenic viewing standpoint.

A mixed structure composed of an arch with cables (same-same but different from Barrhaven's 'eiffel tower of Ottawa' could work as well.

The current bridge is beautiful and is a landmark in its own right. We can't replace it with a ho-hum concrete highway span. Sorry (not sorry). Just need to figure out what to do.

Thailand is king of the cable-stay:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...e_at_night.jpg

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 2:15 PM

Any replacement should provide a second deck (or at least provide the space for one to be added later) underneath the roadway for future LRT from Gatineau.

I think that's one of the biggest opportunities of a replacement.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
How about practicality?

A modern asymmetrical cable-stay bridge would actually be practical to build from an environmental standpoint, the footing for the main pier could be located below nepean point, or on the gatineau side, and the span could easily extend across the river without touching the river bed or banks at all. Arguably, this would 'open up' views of Parliament rather than obscure them. The current bridge is 'in the way' a lot when you're on the Gatineau side.

Also, I was thinking about this, a new bridge wouldn't really need to be 'flat' you could slope from Nepean point down to the ground level on the Gatineau side, so an asymmetrical pier wouldn't have to be so tall... could be very interesting.

A new 'typical' highway span would require several piers, some directly into the river, and be complex, requiring coffer dams, etc. The deck would also be thicker from a scenic viewing standpoint.

A mixed structure composed of an arch with cables (same-same but different from Barrhaven's 'eiffel tower of Ottawa' could work as well.

The current bridge is beautiful and is a landmark in its own right. We can't replace it with a ho-hum concrete highway span. Sorry (not sorry). Just need to figure out what to do.

Thailand is king of the cable-stay:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...e_at_night.jpg
As much as I like the look of a cable stay bridge, in a climate zone that has lots of freezing rain, they're a bit problematic for dropping ice on cars and people. Port Mann bridge required retrofit almost immediately after opening to address the problem, but even that solution hasn't been foolproof.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation