HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 2:48 PM

[Dartmouth] IKEA | Complete

Here is a thread for discussion on the new full-size IKEA store that will be opening in Dartmouth Crossing.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 4:34 PM

It'll be interesting to see what retailers set up shop beside IKEA in the new development. I'm sure there are a few restaurants/shops that may be persuaded by a neighbour like IKEA.

IKEA will be a huge draw to Halifax. In fact, I don't think there are any other retailers that have as big of a draw as IKEA, so this is a huge win

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetea93 View Post
It'll be interesting to see what retailers set up shop beside IKEA in the new development. I'm sure there are a few restaurants/shops that may be persuaded by a neighbour like IKEA.

IKEA will be a huge draw to Halifax. In fact, I don't think there are any other retailers that have as big of a draw as IKEA, so this is a huge win
My last time in Dartmouth Crossing, I've noticed a lot of empty storefronts in the "downtown area" (I don't know the actual name of the blocks). This may help fill up those storefronts.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 11:22 PM

It does appear to have covered parking underneath part (or all) of the building or an actual parkade similar to the IKEA in Ottawa. It also seems taller than the newer IKEA's in Montreal and Winnipeg due to the covered parking like Ottawa.

Dartmouth Crossing

Ottawa

Winnipeg

Montreal

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 1:37 PM

AllNovaScotia (that's the online news site that can, indeed, be named) is reporting that Atlantic Road Construction and Paving has been contracted by North American Development to prepare the site for IKEA. Co-owner Tom Hickey is reported as saying it will be one of the biggest jobs the company has taken on in its eight years in business. He admits its going to take a lot of heavy machinery moving a lot of rock to level the former quarry. He says they're working now to complete the work plan but the project should begin "soon".

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 1:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
AllNovaScotia (that's the online news site that can, indeed, be named) is reporting that Atlantic Road Construction and Paving has been contracted by North American Development to prepare the site for IKEA. Co-owner Tom Hickey is reported as saying it will be one of the biggest jobs the company has taken on in its eight years in business. He admits its going to take a lot of heavy machinery moving a lot of rock to level the former quarry. He says they're working now to complete the work plan but the project should begin "soon".
IKEA should have built in Moncton. Site prep here would only entail moving some dirt around with a bulldozer for a couple of weeks. You don't have to loosen rocks with a thermonuclear device like you have to do down in far off Haligon.

I jest of course.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
IKEA should have built in Moncton. Site prep here would only entail moving some dirt around with a bulldozer for a couple of weeks. You don't have to loosen rocks with a thermonuclear device like you have to do down in far off Haligon.

I jest of course.
I'd favour a compromise. That store would look good floating on the Tantramar Marshes.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 2:10 PM

Quote:
I'd favour a compromise. That store would look good floating on the Tantramar Marshes.
Wind power would be a plus...

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Can't build on a wetland...

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Can't build on a wetland...
Tell that to Saint John.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 8:48 PM

The Burlington Store is essentially on the border of Hamilton, a Hamilton store won't happen. I would expect another GTA store, possibly one in the east end such as Pickering, or one in Brampton or Milton.

GTA Ikea's are insanely busy, especially during peak times.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
The Burlington Store is essentially on the border of Hamilton, a Hamilton store won't happen. I would expect another GTA store, possibly one in the east end such as Pickering, or one in Brampton or Milton.

What's interesting is Western New York State (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse) is lacking IKEA and a lot of the locals drive to the Burlington store to shop. I would think at least a renovated store with more square footage is due for Burlington/Hamilton.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
What's interesting is Western New York State (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse) is lacking IKEA and a lot of the locals drive to the Burlington store to shop. I would think at least a renovated store with more square footage is due for Burlington/Hamilton.
I'm pretty sure the burlington ikea is being rebuilt somewhere... I remember seeing the plans... it was much larger... just up the 403 towards oakville? unless it was scrapped

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 5:26 PM
BUILD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post

I usually go to the one in Burlington and it's definitely a zoo on the weekends. The only thing I don't like about it is its location: right where the 403/407/QEW all merge together....

If they were to build another store in the GTA I could see them building a store in either Brampton or North Mississauga (think Steeles Ave. east of Winston Churchill). Milton is booming but it's still only a 25 min drive to Burlington and 30 to the store in Etobicoke (speaking from experience).

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 11:26 PM

Interesting U.S. map. Looking at the wikipedia metropolitan census numbers it appears they have a store in all of the top 29 largest metro areas and few if any outside of that. #30 is Las Vegas with 2.0 million people which is well above our current minimum of 0.6 million.

BTW if Halifax were listed we would be around #125.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Interesting U.S. map. Looking at the wikipedia metropolitan census numbers it appears they have a store in all of the top 29 largest metro areas and few if any outside of that. #30 is Las Vegas with 2.0 million people which is well above our current minimum of 0.6 million.

BTW if Halifax were listed we would be around #125.
Las Vegas is getting a store this year.. LOL

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 1:10 AM

I honestly think London Ontario will get a big store (2-3 years?).. the PickUP up is apparently doing very well... it also seems very temporary.. like it was opened up quickly and not much was done to the space

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 1:52 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlewis91 View Post
I honestly think London Ontario will get a big store (2-3 years?).. the PickUP up is apparently doing very well... it also seems very temporary.. like it was opened up quickly and not much was done to the space
in St. Catharines we're getting a pick-up location soon. I'm hoping it's real successful so that Niagara finally gets an Ikea!
To me, it makes sense with 430k+ residents and another 1.12M in Buffalo/WNY directly across the border.

congrats Halifax on scoring an Ikea!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
in St. Catharines we're getting a pick-up location soon. I'm hoping it's real successful so that Niagara finally gets an Ikea!
To me, it makes sense with 430k+ residents and another 1.12M in Buffalo/WNY directly across the border.

congrats Halifax on scoring an Ikea!
That makes sense to me. No IKEA in the Buffalo market? And the Niagara region is full of "destination" attractions. I know it is highly geared towards tourism, how is the shopping scene there?

Presumably, any of the pick-up locations, if successful, would be a target for upgrade to a full-size store. Especially considering the "temporary" or pop-up feel visitors have reported that these first stores have about them.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 1:55 PM

I was re-watching the video of the Halifax announcement, and had a interesting thought. It was prompted by the wording surrounding the part about "40 years to build 12 stores, now we embark to build 12 more in the next decade". Sjorstrand said "in existing markets, new markets, with existing concepts and new concepts"

I'm curious what is meant by "new concepts". There has been no formal linking of the pick-up locations and the plan to build 12 new stores. In fact there seems to be a deliberate obfuscation of the two plans as seperate, or not. It made me wonder if pick-up locations are ultimately included in the goal of 24 stores by 2026. If so, it could mean that IKEA only intends to build 3 or 4 new full-size stores.

IKEA has always taken a cautious approach to development in Canada. The building of a full-size store takes much of their corporate focus for a period of 2 1/2 to 3 years. If they do embark on a plan to build 12 over 10 years, they will have to overlap construction and make new starts every 10 months or so (to have 12 new full-size stores up and running). That seems extraordinarily ambitious for IKEA.

I reserve judgement for now, but if we've heard no more announcements for full-size stores, or releases to clarify the 10 year plan by this time next year, I think this may be the case.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs