HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 3:02 PM
Round Head

Rebranding Calgary for the future

A thoughtful article from Lance Carlson from ACAD

Rebranding Calgary for the future

By Lance Carlson, For The Calgary Herald April 8, 2009

The issue of the work underway to create a new and revitalized Calgary brand has been a popular topic in the media lately. The development of a viable brand for the City of Calgary is a crucial step toward sharing our vision of the entrepreneurial, creative, innovative and vital city in which we live, and that we continue to create.

The current Calgary rebranding effort is not a wholly new initiative, but rather a direct result of the 10-year economic development strategy adopted by city council in 2008.

In his comments in the Calgary Herald, Ald. Joe Connelly has perhaps inadvertently minimized such efforts by referring to a new "motto" for Calgary, which ingenuously excludes the most important components of our work to develop a new brand for our city. A brand is more than simply a motto; it includes developing and sharing our vision for our community's future, creating an icon to symbolize that vision, and developing a set of values and commitments that support this message as we share it with the world.

I was interested to read that Connelly feels he personally is able to applaud the Heart of the New West logo, however, it is clear from the extensive community consultation conducted as part of the branding effort that the current city brand is only marginally effective, and that by using it to represent our community, we are projecting an image to the world that is, quite simply, incomplete. As Mayor Dave Bronconnier has explained, our current brand, which includes the slogan and the icon of the cowboy hat, has never been fully embraced by our community as it speaks only to one aspect of our experience--that being western heritage--and although this underpins a critical part of our history that we should value, as a community we have a much more inclusive vision for our future.

Connelly is, however, correct in identifying a "place brand" as an important tool for us to communicate our vision of what makes Calgary exceptional. An authentic and effective brand is a critical element of our many different promotional efforts, and it forms a crucial ingredient of our plan to attract tourism, investment, and labour to our city. The lack of an effective brand has been identified by all of Calgary's promotional agencies, including tourism partners and city council via the economic development strategy. Though the branding initiative is vital to our future as a city, it is also an investment, and one that the Brand Steering Committee has considered very carefully.

Research indicates investing in an accurate and effective brand has been proven to increase economic growth, tourism and business development for a community. During these difficult economic times, we cannot afford to be left only looking at our history and to continue to use a tool that is not delivering the needed results. We must invest in our evolution forward as well, and create a city brand that shares the story of Calgary's present, and of our aspirations. Given the economic downturn, it might seem easy to focus our attention on what we might lose, yet now, more than ever, we need to act on the heritage value of pride of place, and look to our community leadership to move forward with courage, rather than relying on the methods of the past, as familiar as they might seem.

Although some may be content to retain our current brand, creating a new brand for Calgary will allow us to share our true vision of this city with the world, and to accurately represent our community and our values, including our heritage values that have been so eloquently articulated by the Stampede organization, among others.

The city economic strategy from which we take our charge for the rebranding project is titled "Think Big, Act Bold, Create Great." Calgary leaders frequently remind us of the exciting possibilities our city holds, and our potential to become a world-class destination for commerce, culture and tourism. We refer often to our can-do attitude, and our pioneering spirit. The work to develop the Calgary brand began with interviews and conversations designed to uncover what it means to be here in Calgary, and what the promise of this place holds. In almost all of these conversations, respondents from across Calgary identified our city as a place where you can make a difference, a place that is open to new ideas. With this in mind, why, when it comes time to have an effect and to fulfil our promises, should we disown our words and resign ourselves to the recognizable, even though it needs improvement?

Is the Calgary of today able to greet the future as well as the past, and to welcome innovation?Our city deserves the sort of leadership that embraces our values, and welcomes the possibilities that excite us all. In this, it is truly a time to act.

On some level, the discussion to engage in a rebranding of our city is not about an icon or brand at all. It is about Calgary having the courage to become the city that we envision we can be. It is about changing with purpose, and with the courage and belief that we can become a better place. It is about facing our weaknesses and mitigating them. Now is the time for the community to empower itself to create the sort of change that is healthy and fertile.

I regret that the discussion about this complex project has been positioned by some as needing to be played out in the media. I believe that no one who is truly supportive of sharing an authentic and accurate vision of Calgary would want to paint this important issue with such broad and superficial strokes. This moment, and specifically this period of economic recession, is a vital time to invest in how Calgary is viewed provincially, nationally, and internationally. Now, more than ever, we must share our vision of a great city with the world.

Lance Carlson is president and CEO of the Alberta College of Art and Design (ACAD) and is heading up the rebranding efforts for Calgary.

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

http://www.calgaryherald.com/opinion...161/story.html

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 5:57 PM

I think the city needs to adopt a new brand. I've never been a fan of the "living in the past" way Calgary has always branded itself. While I understand the Stampede is a valuable part of Calgary, to brand "Western" just renews the stereotypes around Canada and the rest of the world, and doesn't portray us as the engine we really are. I'd like a slogan that shows Calgary as a forward thinking, smart city...

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Cgy View Post
I'd like a slogan that shows Calgary as a forward thinking, smart city...
I guess the question remains, IS Calgary forward thinking?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 6:38 PM
Round Head

In some respects. In others, not as much as it should.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
In some respects. In others, not as much as it should.
Well, I guess is it forward-thinking enough to brand as a forward-thinking city?
Us much as we all hate the stereotype, the city is branded western because that's what makes it stand out among the crowd, and it can truly lay a claim to that image. Not sure if we can really compete on other fronts as much.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 4:44 AM

I see where you guys are coming from...and sure compared to cities like Toronto, New York etc, we have some work to do. I think my issue is, when we brand ourselves as a western, one horse town...We`re shooting ourselves in the foot (backward thinking, simple minded rednecks). When you compare Calgary to many similar sized cities around the globe, I personally feel we are one of the more progressive, advanced cities around...We`re the western Canadian business hub, a major transportation hub etc...I think my real angst with the current branding, is that I feel I ALWAYS have to defend who we are to friends & family from other places...

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 2:11 PM
Futurist

Hmm here's a few, just imagine them being said with 'Mr Voice' from the movie trailers...

Live the dream where your feet are cemented to the floor.

If you can wait 50 minutes for a bus, you deserve to live here.

Find a happy place, it helps.

We're like that mutant green potato chip at the bottom of the bag.

35 hours a month in your car on our roads is better than time at home with your screaming toddler and grumpy wife.

Tic Tax Toe.

It's like being tied up and pushed down a metal staircase.

Well, it's better than Edmonton.

Economic slavery keeps our community safe.

Choose your fate.

The people are loud and obnoxious, the roads are full of terrible drivers, but the weather changes every 5 minutes.

360 days of living hell is pretty good for 5 days in the mountains.

All your money is belong to us.

Crowds. We has them.

We're kind of like your annoying fat cousin.

Nothing makes sense.

Mug, rhymes with hug.

Overpriced. Underpaid. Overworked.

Get used to window shopping.

I know the map says you can, but seriously, you can't get there from here.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 2:27 PM

^Tell us how you really feel.

(I feel dirty using a Calgary-Sun-ism)

Last edited by frinkprof; Apr 9, 2009 at 2:57 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 2:42 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflexzero View Post
Hmm here's a few, just imagine them being said with 'Mr Voice' from the movie trailers...

35 hours a month in your car on our roads is better than time at home with your screaming toddler and grumpy wife.
Mr. LaFontaine passed away unfortunately: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_LaFontaine Known as "Thunder Throat" or "The Voice of God".

The sad thing is he would totally do voicework for a city ad, heck he would get letters from people asking for him to do an answering machine message for them and he would! Pure class that man was.

I only get about 11 hours a month in a car, damn I need to make my commute longer before the baby comes!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy