HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Trapp & Holbrook in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New Westminster Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 7:09 PM

Scratch that, there's already an updated rendering:

- A few changes at first glance include a few less expensive cars (gotta market this thing after all!), the brick/dark paint removed from the columns on the north/south-facing upper floors, and tenants have moved into the ground floor prompting some street life

(from http://www.thesalientgroup.com)

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 7:53 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Flat awnings instead of angular ones.. hmm.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 8:03 PM
testify

i don't understand why they don't build the tower portion over the low-rise on the western side of the site, rather than demolish the army/navy building. it seems like ripe for renovation and it would do the street a lot more good to have an 18fl tower next to a 6fl heritage building, rather than what's currently proposed. seems like a real waste.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 8:59 PM

It's serviceable, if not terribly imaginative. Want to see a render of the Front Street facade as well...

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 9:13 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight_from_kamakura View Post
i don't understand why they don't build the tower portion over the low-rise on the western side of the site, rather than demolish the army/navy building. it seems like ripe for renovation and it would do the street a lot more good to have an 18fl tower next to a 6fl heritage building, rather than what's currently proposed. seems like a real waste.
The shorter building is heritage and will be restored, so it can't have a tower on top. The Trap block itself is falling apart structurally and can't be saved (so we are told) so it can be reduced to a facade.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 10:12 PM

Actually: both heritage blocks are being reduced to facades since both are structurally compromised. It's hard to see from the Columbia street, but is quite obvious when you look at the buildings from the Front street side: I've taken some pictures that show the shabby state of the front street facade (note the concrete beam dips in the middle) on the Trapp.

Also, the Holbrook block doesn't make super efficient use of the space. It only fills half the space between Columbia and Front. Apparently another heritage building occupied the Front street side but was torn down in the '80s by the city as it was irrevocably structurally compromised.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 11:28 PM

Thanks.
Is that the parkade railing in front? It too looks to be compromised!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 11:48 PM

It is the parkade railing (I love the parkade: one of the best dogwalking places downtown...). It does jut off on an angle doesn't it? But apparently that's its design. That said, the Parkade is pretty rickety looking, and shakes a bit when a big semi blows by underneath, or a train rattles by.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 6:46 PM
Shoebox Dweller

I was in the sales centre a week or so ago and the building was about half sold. The units are nice, but overall look smaller than what is in Plaza 88, despite the square footage being about the same. Prices in the tower were $219,900-$308,900 for 1 bedroom units, $339,000-$434,900 for 2 bedroom units, and $421,900-$491,900 for 2+den. All of the penthouses and sub-penthouses were sold out at $439,900-$649,900.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 8:05 PM

I heard that the InterUrban Building gets noises from the trains -
I expect this would be the same...

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 3:51 AM
Vancouver Moderator

O.o

I'm not sure if there is anything sadder looking than a bunch of bricked up windows / doors on an old building.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I heard that the InterUrban Building gets noises from the trains -
I expect this would be the same...
If you're choosing to live in downtown New West, you're gonna hear the trains. I live on Royal Avenue and it's the trucks roaring up and down for 16 hours a day that is far, far more annoying. I find the train horns relaxing and part of the charm of living next to the Fraser. I know not everyone shares my views though. The Quay residents are always up in arms about the train noise but to be honest, the trains were there long before any apartment buildings and it was their choice to buy there.

As for T+H, most of the units are pretty small with many skinny one bedrooms, but they are priced right and they will attract lots of young singles and couples. A couple of the two bedroom plans are nice. Downtown and Columbia is on the cusp of a renaissance and many young people are moving there.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 3:57 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Trouble in real estate paradise?

Quote:
Dear [XXXXX],

Go on that vacation you've been putting off, buy that season's pass to Whistler, get that flat screen tv you've been eyeing... Trapp + Holbrook's payment subsidy program helps you own a one-bedroom home from just $629/month* - that's $1,000 a month less than a comparable home in Vancouver!

Trapp + Holbrook

WE'RE NEW WEST'S BEST-SELLING DEVELOPMENT OF THE YEAR!

With a WalkScore® of 97 ("A Walker's Paradise" with Safeway, Shopper's Drug Mart, Keg Restaurant, and a list too long to include), SkyTrain a mere block away, and well-designed homes by The Salient Group, no wonder everyone agrees Trapp + Holbrook is downtown New West's best value! An excellent selection of 1-bedroom homes are attracting discerning buyers. Check out the floor plans for some of our recent sales:

A1 - 1 Bed - 515 sf

C2 - 1 Bed - 580 sf

C1 - 1 Bed - 591 sf

B2 - 1 Bed - 516 sf
Trapp + Holbrook Trapp + Holbrook Trapp + Holbrook Trapp + Holbrook

We look forward to seeing you soon!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 2:29 PM

I expect we'll see more buildings offer incentives as the market decelerates. Personally if I was going to shoehorn myself into less than 600 sq ft, I'd rather do it downtown. Downtown New West has a lot of character, I'm a little leery of building something of this scale right in the middle of it.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 6:31 AM

Scaffolding is up on the Trapp block facade. Wonder if this means they're finally starting construction?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 8:57 AM

November 30

December 19

December 30

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 8:25 PM

Trapp Block facade has been removed and they are well into demolishing the main structure and adjacent building. It's pretty interesting to peak into the work from the parkade over Front St. and see the guts of the building. I mean, the main load building columns they are uncovering are brick, instead of concrete, which is pretty nifty.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2013, 9:14 PM

Some new pics from April 20:

Old Posted Apr 21, 2013, 11:23 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

wow....thanks for the pics!

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 5:32 PM
ARTchitecture

Wow this is going to be quite the impressive development!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley