HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 3:05 AM
Honored Member

What are the chances of a tornado striking Nova Scotia?

With so many tornadoes occurring in the United States and now one striking Massachusetts, how likely is it for a tornado to strike Nova Scotia? I did a quick internet search and found that a tornado struck Nova Scotia in 1954 near Liverpool - link.

Do people on this forum consider all these tornadoes to be a result of greenhouse gases producing global warming and unusual weather, or is it just a naturally occurring cycle of bad weather occurring in North America?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 4:01 AM

I remember about 8 years ago or so a tornado touched down on a ballfield out in enfield. I'm sure theres been more then just the one.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackypacky View Post
I remember about 8 years ago or so a tornado touched down on a ballfield out in enfield. I'm sure theres been more then just the one.
We saw a massive funnel cloud about 8 years ago aswell in St. Andrews (about 12km southeast of Antigonish) that was dangerously close to touching ground in a farmfield. We were about a kilometre away from it, it was the coolest thing I ever saw.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 4:09 AM

"June 24, 1997. Lantz, Nova Scotia, Canada, F0 tornado touches down in local ball field at approx. 4:45pm ADT. Golf ball sized hail and intense lightning also reported with this storm"

"Pugwash, Nova Scotia, August 18 (1999). A small tornado strikes causing some localized structural damage. There were no serious injuries."

From Wikipedia

I can't speak for the Lantz tornado but the one in Pugwash definitely occurred. It was summer and at the time my aunt was working the Caboose Restaurant which was hit by the tornado. There were no injuries but the building was damaged and as a result the restaurant never reopened.

I've never seen a tornado but I have seen waterspouts on the Northumberland and though I can't confirm it I think my family's cottage was hit by one (just a wall of water coming out of nowhere with some power behind it).

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 3:28 PM
You talkin' to me?

I remember one hitting Stewiacke about 10 years ago. I've never seen the clouds so dark before. it was literally pitch black.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
"June 24, 1997. Lantz, Nova Scotia, Canada, F0 tornado touches down in local ball field at approx. 4:45pm ADT. Golf ball sized hail and intense lightning also reported with this storm"
My brother was driving home from Truro and saw that one.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 4:10 PM
Fizzix geek

Yeah I remember one hitting Fredericton during the summer of 1993... I was walking back from campus to my apartment and the rain was completely horizontal and the sky was a dark green. Wierd stuff.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 10:13 PM

I remember a few years ago a waterspout (tornado over water) crossing the Confederation Bridge and closing it for a brief while to traffic. We have them now and then in the Maritimes, or at least in the last little while we have, but so far, they have thankfully been pretty limited in their ferocity.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 10:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I believe that on average there are 2-3 tornadoes in NB every year. They are mostly F0 or F1 and are most common in the northwest of the province but tornadoes certainly are a regular occurance around here.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 12:47 AM

There was a picture on theweathernetwork.ca and Haligonia.ca the other day of a funnel cloud out in Sackville. It didn't touch down though.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 2:07 AM
Honored Member

Thanks for all the information, I didn't realize that there were recent tornadoes in Nova Scotia. Luckily it sounds as though they haven't been highly destructive ones.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General