HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 5:54 AM

^TD, I didn't have you pegged as someone who has an old-fashioned land line home telephone number. That's so 90's...

my above comment is in jest, but it refers to what I had heard was an increasingly significant limitation of telephone polling: they only call land lines and young people more and more don't have one. I've heard experts state that, as a result, young people's political opinions are beginning to be understated by political polls. Just thought it was interesting.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 6:21 AM
my posse's on broadway

Hahah.. yeah, I don't know why I have it. That's the only calls I get. But that's
an interesting point about the age demographics of phone polling.They should
just send out Myspace bulletins all day.

After finishing that conversation though, I get the gist that Kevin Johnson is
really thinking of running for mayor. After the barrage of negative press he
has received over the past couple years, I would be shocked if he though
that he could do it.

He seems to me like a combination of Chris Webber and Moe Mohanna.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 6:16 PM
Hindrance to Development

There are advantages to having a land line: 911 services receive your address automatically when you call from a land line, and unlike cellular 911 your call goes to the local 911 dispatcher instead of the CHP dispatcher who then transfers you to the local dispatcher (although there is a "cellular local 911" number for Sacramento: 732-0100, but it still doesn't give your address automatically.) They're also helpful if you have an alarm system (the alarm calls in alerts via the phone line) and if you do home office stuff and send/receive faxes they're nice. My land line is basically my "business line."

Which reminds me, I need to run another phone extension to my front room so I can plug in my old 1930s vintage bakelite rotary phone! It uses the old four-prong plugs, which are impossible to find, but I found one at this crazy hardware store in rural Wisconsin last year.

Kevin Johnson for Mayor? Interesting.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 3:43 AM
Edge_City

Kevin Johnson considering mayoral run

Marcos Bretón: Kevin Johnson considering mayoral run
By Marcos Bretón - mbreton@sacbee.com
Last Updated 7:21 pm PST Thursday, January 24, 2008

Kevin Johnson, the former NBA star and arguably the Capital City's most famous native son, is seriously considering a run for mayor.

On Thursday, Johnson confirmed his "strong" interest in challenging incumbent Heather Fargo in the June 3 election. David Townsend, a local political consultant, commissioned a recent poll gauging voter interest in a Johnson candidacy and claims the excitement was high.

"We're confident he would win," said Townsend, while declining to reveal the numbers tabulated by pollster Jim Moore.

Johnson has not made a final decision on a possible run, but said he would make an announcement soon.

Whether or not this city would elect Johnson, it could only be a good thing for Sacramento if someone jumped in to challenge Fargo, who is seeking a third-term.

"It's always good for a city to have a competitive mayor's race," said Robert Waste, professor of public policy administration at Sacramento State. "If it happens, I expect (a Johnson-Fargo) race to be a barnburner."

Wealthy, well-known, with his share of both supporters and detractors, Johnson would transform the city's politic dynamic if he entered the mayoral fray. He has the potential to generate a level of interest and involvement uncommon in local politics, akin to what Arnold Schwarzenneger did on a statewide level.

California's governor proved that celebrity is a valuable currency in election campaigns. Even on the local level, name recognition is key: Fargo has been running unopposed so far not because she's a strong leader, but because she has stronger name recognition than other local elected officials. This is largely what's kept potential challengers like Councilman Rob Fong on the sidelines.

A Johnson candidacy changes that equation. Johnson would generate national interest as the ex-NBA all-star who went home and ran for mayor. One could see Johnson discussing his political ambitions on the "Today Show," in People magazine and Sports Illustrated.

Johnson would shake up an incestuous local political scene, where Fargo and four other members of the City Council are represented by the same political consultant: Richie Ross.

Influential Sacramentans - including mega-developer Angelo K. Tsakopoulos - are close to Johnson. Tsakopoulos could well be expected to invest his own money in a Johnson campaign, though Townsend claims he and Moore paid for the recent poll on Johnson's prospects.

Of course, a Johnson run also would attract its share of opponents. The local teachers union has railed against Johnson since his nonprofit, St. HOPE Corp., took over Sacramento High School in 2002 and turned it into a charter school. Some parents were enraged by the change and sued Sacramento City Unified for approving it.

Meanwhile, some Oak Park residents are demanding Johnson follow through with renovation plans for several decaying properties he owns in that community. Half his properties there have been cited for code violations in the past decade.

But that issue should not define his candidacy, because the truth is, Johnson has done a lot of good in Oak Park as well. Oak Park is better off with Johnson than without him.

Professor Waste is right. Johnson would inspire a vigorous mayoral race that would be good for Sacramento. It is too early to endorse anyone, but not too early to hope Johnson jumps in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Didn't I read here that someone got one of those calls he sent out testing his electability? What's everyone's opinion?
The Sac State professor is right about this being a win win b/c at least Johnson will force Fargo to be accountable for some of her decisions.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 4:18 AM
my posse's on broadway

Yeah, I said that in the previous page.

All my opinion is based off the nearly slanderous articles the bee has written
on KJ. I don't like slumlord types - so he'd have to say something convincing...
and I'd without a doubt hear him out.

Saying Oak Park is better off with him isn't really saying much at all.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 4:37 AM

I don't know much about KJ outside of his NBA career, Oak Park, St HOPE and him being born here...but given is name and the money he could spend, I'd have to think he would contender if he decides to run.

To get my vote though, I'd need to know a heck of a lot more about him. Didn't the article a short time ago talk about ED for his Oak Park properties? If so, I'd like to hear his views on Mohanna and K Street.

I'd tell you right now, a endorsement from Mohanna for KJ would stop me dead in my tracks.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 5:54 AM
Hindrance to Development

Did anyone spot this in yesterday's Bee?

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/654881.html
Quote:
City wrestles with budget cuts

Council members kick around ideas to attack huge deficit
By Terri Hardy - thardy@sacbee.com

Published 12:00 am PST Wednesday, January 23, 2008
Story appeared in METRO section, Page B3

As Sacramento city departments scrape together cost-cutting plans to wipe out a $55 million projected budget shortfall next year, City Council members Tuesday tossed out their own big and small ideas.

Lauren Hammond said Development Services needed to stop deferring fees. Kevin McCarty said a citywide parcel tax should be considered. Rob Fong said the city must continue its push to bring in more revenue through attracting new business, jobs and development.

And Robbie Waters suggested making sure home business owners aren't scofflaws.

"Go through the Yellow Pages and cross check to see if they have business licenses," Waters advised.

The city is casting a wide net, looking at all kinds of ideas on how to deal with a worsening financial situation. Property taxes are stagnant, and sales and utility user taxes are down – all fallout from the housing downturn and unemployment.

In the council's first discussion about the city's worsening budget picture, Mayor Heather Fargo wasn't on the dais. The mayor traveled to Washington, D.C., to a U.S. Conference of Mayors meeting that begins today.

Tuesday night, Fargo said in a phone interview that she was looking to get the city grants related to energy efficiency.

Russ Fehr, the city's finance director, told the council that not only has the city's economic status worsened since October, but that the trend of too little revenue to meet expenses is projected to continue over the next five years.

"We have a fairly serious and deteriorating budget situation," Fehr said.

City departments have been asked to put together ways to cut 10 percent and 20 percent from their budgets. City officials say services are bound to be impacted and layoffs are looming.

Nearly three-quarters of the city's expenditures are labor, and the bulk of the city's growing expenses is caused by raises hammered out in labor contracts, Fehr said.

The city manager already has ordered an immediate hiring stoppage and an end to some discretionary expenditures. Three city departments – police, fire and development services – are doing immediate trimming because they are in the red this fiscal year.

The Police Department, with a $6.2 million shortfall this year, is paring down hours of its reserve employees and making other trims. Chief Rick Braziel said the public is worried about impacts on safety.

However, he assured the council that reductions in patrols weren't in the offing for at least 14 to 16 months.

The biggest blow to service, Braziel said, will be in property crimes response times and investigations.

"We're only able to investigate 14 percent of our property crimes now," Braziel said. "Expect that number to go down."

Aaron Donato, the civilian executive officer and board member of the Sacramento Police Officers Association, said the city is right to look at how cuts will impact public service. He said he would like to see that the city has eliminated fat and perks before considering more drastic raise deferrals or lay offs.

"Public safety must be a priority for the city," Donato said.

Fire Chief Ray Jones said his department was raising some fees, controlling overtime and delaying academy training for 15 future firefighters. Brown-outs at fire stations – where certain stations are closed or aren't fully staffed – was a possible option if 10 to 20 percent of the budget was cut, he said.

Development Services, with a $3.7 million shortfall, was hard hit by the home-building slowdown. The department has let go eight part-time workers and seven interns and is looking at laying off 16 full-time workers.

Development Services Director Bill Thomas said he is already looking at $1 million in cost-cutting ideas suggested by employees. Also, it was discovered that the department had failed to bill or collect about $1 million from developers for improvements that the city did on their properties, from curb to light posts.

Thomas said staff has now sent out bills and is pursing the owed money.

Councilwoman Hammond said she believes Thomas has deferred payments of about $3 million in fees to developers. Later, Thomas said the amount was much less. Developer John Saca was allowed to pay about $500,000 in fees over time and a few other small deferrals were made, Thomas said.

City Councilwoman Bonnie Pannell said some cuts can backfire. She said a bathroom was closed to save costs at the Samuel Pannell Meadowview Community Center, and seniors complained to state Sen. Darrell Steinberg.

"It's open again," she said. "Be careful of the things you cut."

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 2:26 PM

Thought you might be interested in this:

Quote:
Gun death toll soars for the young
Many county cases involve youths killing youths; gangs, drugs play role
By Ryan Lillis - rlillis@sacbee.com
Published 12:00 am PST Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Story appeared in MAIN NEWS section, Page A20

Even as the region saw a significant reduction in deadly crime in 2007, a startling trend emerged among the victims: More young people were killed with guns in Sacramento County last year than in any other year in the past decade.

Many of the cases involved the young killing the young, according to law enforcement officials and arrest records analyzed by The Bee, and the deadly violence continues into 2008.

On Tuesday, Sacramento prosecutors filed two counts of murder – along with a gang enhancement – against a 15-year-old boy in connection with a double slaying last week in the city's Colonial Village North neighborhood.

The suspect, Frank Camacho, will be tried as an adult. He is the 16th teenager arrested in connection with a Sacramento homicide since the beginning of last year, records show.

Camacho's alleged victims were 18 and 22, authorities said. A third man, the 18-year-old brother of one of the victims, was shot in the neck but is expected to survive, according to police.

Many of the shootings from last year resulted from gang warfare, which sparked intense local and federal gang crackdowns throughout Sacramento.

Last year, 27 people who were 21 or younger were shot to death in Sacramento County, the highest number for that age group in any of the past 10 years, according to records compiled by the Sacramento coroner's office and local law enforcement agencies.

That number represents the sixth straight year in which the number of young gunshot victims stayed the same or increased, and is more than twice the number in that age group killed by gunfire in 2001.

For teens, the numbers were even more alarming. Of the 13 teenage homicide victims in the county last year, 12 were shot to death, records show. Gangs or drugs played a role in at least half of those killings, detectives said.

The average age of a suspect arrested in connection with killing a teenager in 2007 was 18.4, records show.

"It's a nightmare for a patrol officer that every time you stop a 15- or 16-year-old you think they may have a gun," said former Sacramento Police Chief Albert Nájera, who retired earlier this month.

"The single most dangerous person out there is not a hardened parolee, is not a guy who just got out of Pelican Bay (State Prison). It's that 16-year-old male out there who has a gun because they're not calculating at all. They just react.

"You give a 16-year-old kid a gun, what does he want to do with it?"

It was a 16-year-old boy carrying a loaded .22-caliber revolver who authorities believe shot and killed Sacramento County Sheriff's Detective Vu Nguyen last month. Authorities said the suspect, Jimmy Siackasorn, was in grade school when he first joined a gang.

Sheriff John McGinness said the raw numbers of the past year are signs that law enforcement "needs to be gearing our efforts toward an even younger population." He said the effort is about more than arrests – it's about addressing "behavioral issues."

"Part of our goal is to get them (young people) through that period of life in which they're vulnerable to incredibly bad decision-making," McGinness said. "We need to look at this at a very global level because everyone has a vested interest in the outcome."

Guns were used in several of the county's high-profile slayings last year:

• The slayings of a 21-year-old father and his 7-month-old son.

• The 16-year-old high school honors student allegedly struck by gang crossfire.

• The case of mistaken identity that police said led to the shooting death of a UC Berkeley scholarship student in front of an Oak Park barbershop.

Overall, the Coroner's Office investigated 95 homicide cases last year, and 64 of the victims were shot to death, records show. That rate – 67 percent – represents the fourth straight year in Sacramento in which the percentage of homicide victims killed by guns increased or remained steady.

Nájera said law enforcement needs to do a better job of tracing the guns used in homicides and then attacking their sources, most notably the "small percentage of unscrupulous" gun dealers who sell firearms to those who are not legally permitted to buy guns: parolees, probationers and juveniles.

"We don't want to fight it when these kids already have the guns," he said. "We want to get upstream of that."

The continued rise in gun violence came in a year when authorities continued to take a staggering number of guns off the streets. The Sacramento Police Department seized 899 guns in 2007 and sheriff's deputies took in 1,298 guns, officials said.

Despite the increase in gun violence, overall homicides in the county fell significantly.

The coroner's homicide caseload dropped by 20 percent from 2006, largely because the number of homicides in the city of Sacramento dropped by 25 percent, with 44 people slain in 2007 compared to 59 in 2006.

Nájera attributed the decline to regional crackdowns on gang members, his department's success at solving killings and an increase in prevention efforts such as truancy centers in city schools.

While the sheriff's homicide total rose to 41 from 40, it was still nearly one-third lower than the total two years ago, records show.

Other violent crimes decreased in the county, but McGinness said he considers last year's homicide total "a loss of ground."

"The numbers are still down from where they had been, but if the perception on the part of the public is that you can't be safe, we're suffering some loss," he said. "If we can reassure people, we're hitting the mark."

In addition, there were two homicides in Folsom, one each in Elk Grove and Citrus Heights, and two inside Folsom State Prison, according to the Coroner's Office.

The location of one homicide case investigated by coroner's deputies was listed as unknown, and the year's total also includes one man killed by sheriff's deputies and two city homicides later ruled justifiable, records show.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 5:02 PM
Hindrance to Development

So, in other words, total homicides dropped dramatically.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 5:18 PM
my posse's on broadway

I'm more frightened by the other 31 homicides...

If someone is going to kill me, I hope they shoot me.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
So, in other words, total homicides dropped dramatically.
That's really what I was going for!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 6:31 PM

This is interesting. Maybe we can start seeing some things happen in Sacramento's favor.

Steinberg to replace Perata atop Senate
By Aurelio Rojas - arojas@sacbee.com

Sen. Darrell Steinberg of Sacramento was designated Thursday by his fellow Democrats to be the next president pro tem of the California Senate, beating out Sen. Alex Padilla, who conceded after the two had lunch.

Under a transition process established by Senate President Pro Tem Don Perata, a formal vote will not be taken until Aug. 21 and Perata will continue as the Senate's leader until November.

When Steinberg, 48, takes the reins, he will become the first Sacramentan to hold the top leadership post in the Legislature's upper house since 1883.

During a Capitol news conference, the liberal lawmaker thanked his colleagues and showered Padilla with praise.

Steinberg, a former administrative law judge whose congeniality has won him many admirers in the Capitol, also emphasized that Perata is still the boss.

"I am not the pro tem, nor will I be until some time in November," said Steinberg, a seven-year veteran of the Legislature who began his career as a lawyer representing state employees. "I am a team player, and you will not see an inch distance between Sen. Perata and myself."

The announcement came two days after voters defeated a ballot measure that would have relaxed term limits and allowed Perata, D-Oakland, to remain in office four more years.

It was expected it would take some time for Steinberg and Padilla – who had positioned themselves as the only two candidates – to secure the 13 Democratic votes needed to succeed Perata.

But during a meeting Wednesday of the 25-member Democratic caucus, it became obvious that Steinberg had more than enough support.

Steinberg, who served six years in the Assembly, had a sizable edge in experience in the Capitol, where he's earned a reputation as prolific legislator and fundraiser.

Padilla, 34, recently completed his first year in the Legislature after serving on the Los Angeles City Council, where he was council president.

Although no vote was taken Thursday, caucus members called for an end to the campaigning so that they could concentrate on dealing with the state's projected $14.5 billion deficit.

"It was clear that there was a level of respect for Sen. Steinberg and there was a firm consensus in caucus," said Padilla, who joined Steinberg and Perata at the news conference.

But before Padilla would concede, he asked to speak privately with Steinberg – and the two headed out to lunch at the Riverside Clubhouse, where Steinberg picked up the bill.

Padilla said Steinberg did not make him any power-sharing offers on committee appointment or other issues. "But one thing that became clear to me as I was talking to my colleagues is that Darrell Steinberg is not only liked as a nice guy, but tremendously respected, including by me," Padilla said.

Padilla, who represents a working-class district in the San Fernando Valley, said many of his district's needs "that I'm here fighting for are issues that Darrell Steinberg has been championing for years."

Steinberg called Padilla "a rising star," adding that he looks forward to working with him "in full partnership."

Steinberg, who served on the Sacramento City Council, will be the first Senate president from Sacramento since Republican William Johnston held the post from 1881 to 1883.

"When it is my turn I will give every ounce of intellect, every ounce of energy, every ounce of passion I have to make sure that the people of California are well-served," he said.

Steinberg, the driving force behind a 2004 voter-approved tax on millionaires that last year provided $1.5 billion for mental health services, also vowed to remain an advocate "for people who too often don't have a voice" in the Legislature.

Perata said he would follow the model established by his predecessor, former President Pro Tem John Burton, in which the new president pro tem takes the reins of the caucus at the end of the legislative session.

"That will allow us to have a smooth transition at the end of the year from one pro tem to another and allow us to immediately spend our time in the most consequential manner and that's the budget," Perata said.

Steinberg said the challenges that California faces are "immense," but he called himself "a believer in the possible."

As an example, he cited expanding technical education to lower the high school dropout rate – a concept that Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has embraced.

Steinberg will not be forced to leave the Senate until 2014. Political analysts say his tenure is likely to markedly increase the Sacramento region's clout in the Legislature.

"My motto is very simple: Sacramento deserves a leader every 125 years," Steinberg quipped.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 7:01 PM

Awesome, Sacramento really needs more political muscle in the state. Hopefully more political leaders from Sacramento rise the ranks in the future to get some kind of permanent chokehold of power in the state. Then we can finally rightfully take our place as the political powerhouse of the world.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 9:35 PM
Hindrance to Development

Today Sacramento, tomorrow the world?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 9:46 PM

^^ Yeah pretty much.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 11:59 PM
my posse's on broadway

Voting tallies for the Sacramento region here from the Bee.

I know it's the primaries and all, so this is applicable, but
Downtown Sacramento had 904 Republican votes... and 5,098
Democratic votes. Land Park/Pocket/Meadowview had 18,598
Democratic and 5,834 Republican votes.

that's a pretty crazy gap.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 12:22 AM

Not really, that looks about right.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 12:24 AM

Actually, what is interesting is that the vast majority of Sacramento went Obama instead of Clinton. A lot differernt state wide.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Actually, what is interesting is that the vast majority of Sacramento went Obama instead of Clinton. A lot differernt state wide.
Actually, San Francisco, Alameda, Marin, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Sonoma, Yolo and others went for Barack also. In the beginning of the night, it seemed that Barack was going to win one or two counties. But, much of those votes were from absentee ballots already cast before Super Tuesday. By the time we got to Super Tuesday, The Obama wave was getting bigger. But, those absentee voters (who tend to be older and sway toward Hillary) had already voted and probably voted en masse for Hillary. Had that election been one week later, I believe it would have been an Obama landslide. I voted for him!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 8:04 AM

Besides my room, what areas went for Ron Paul???

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area