HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 1, 2016, 3:28 PM
ハルウララ

21,522 (86.05% cap.) at Molson Stadium for the Alouettes opener against the REDBLACKS.

Included with past home openers:

2016 21,522
2015 21,524
2014 20,018
2013 22,134
2012 21,016
2011 22,317
2010 25,012

Old Posted Jul 1, 2016, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
21,522 (86.05% cap.) at Molson Stadium for the Alouettes opener against the REDBLACKS.

Included with past home openers:

2016 21,522
2015 21,524
2014 20,018
2013 22,134
2012 21,016
2011 22,317
2010 25,012
capacity is no longer 25,012. it is closer to 23,500. that changed a couple of years ago with removal of the south endzone seats and introduction of the "fanzone"

Last edited by king10; Jul 1, 2016 at 7:01 PM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 6:30 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

As a Stamps fan I'm happy with the win tonight over Winnipeg ... But man I wish the Bombers could get good again - it's been waaaay too long.
Their new uniforms look good at least.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
As a Stamps fan I'm happy with the win tonight over Winnipeg ... But man I wish the Bombers could get good again - it's been waaaay too long.
Their new uniforms look good at least.
Maybe it's just me but all the uniforms look good and the players look more (pardon the expression) uniform and less sloppy as some tended to in the old days. Lots of good plays in the game as well.

I would like to see the Bombers get good again as well, I think they're on the right track but I fear the trigger will get pulled again and then they'll be back to the starting line again. Figure they'll fire Osh and make Lapo HC.

I don't like to see Osh sniffin' that ammonia stick on the sidelines before the start of games.

Looks like Wally World is back in good form.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 1:22 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Disturbing trends for all but Toronto.
BC concerns me the most, I hope it's just apathy and the fans waiting to see if the Lions will be good this year as some have stated.
Good to see heathy attendance is expected for Ottawa & Hamilton (and Sask of course).
This weekend could be a tough sell in Calgary with it being a holiday and fans (like me) will be out of town.
Smaller crowd than the opening - 26,815 versus 28,367. Long weekend, many other Canada Day activities, holiday season.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 3:08 PM

Another pooping of the bed by the Bombers, really to no one's surprise this time. It's funny how despite all of the personnel changes on offence and a new OC, the offence looks remarkably like last year's. More quick releases and more of a running game, but for the most part about as effective as last year's crew.

It feels like the Bomber season is coming to an end which is amazing since it's only July 2. If Willy or Harris get injured it's basically over.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 5:25 PM
ハルウララ

Home openers:

CALGARY
2016 26,815
2015 28,487
2014 26,135
2013 26,625
2012 26,387

HAMILTON
2016 24,123
2015 24,135
2014 6,500
2013 12,612
2012 25,682

SASKATCHEWAN
2016 29,896
2015 32,228
2014 19,285
2013 35,296
2012 31,459

2016 CFL SEASON (AS OF JULY 1ST, 2016)
25,354 AVG
202,833 TOTAL
78.19% CAP AVG
1 SELLOUT

Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 7:52 PM

BC hammers The Hammer in Hammer town. Said to be a very difficult stadium to win in against a team our local radio is convinced will be going to and maybe even winning the Grey Cup.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
BC hammers The Hammer in Hammer town. Said to be a very difficult stadium to win in against a team our local radio is convinced will be going to and maybe even winning the Grey Cup.
Wally looks like he still has his mojo, team looks good. Hopefully the crowds will come back because it's a good product.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 3:58 PM

I'd like to get some other inputs on this because maybe it's just me. The pace of some of the games I've watched this year has been brutal, and in the case of the Ottawa vs Montreal game Thursday night was almost unbearable, and it has nothing to do with the product on the field. I realize there was a serious injury on the field that took an additional 15 minutes of stoppage time so I'm even taking that out of the equation. There were a lot of flags but on top of that the meetings between the officials took too long. There were multiple times of instances were a flag was tossed but in the end no infraction was involved in the play. I haven't seen an instance where the new official in the press box has added any speed to the game. In the end, the pace of the game made an exciting, emotional game almost unwatchable.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
I'd like to get some other inputs on this because maybe it's just me. The pace of some of the games I've watched this year has been brutal, and in the case of the Ottawa vs Montreal game Thursday night was almost unbearable, and it has nothing to do with the product on the field. I realize there was a serious injury on the field that took an additional 15 minutes of stoppage time so I'm even taking that out of the equation. There were a lot of flags but on top of that the meetings between the officials took too long. There were multiple times of instances were a flag was tossed but in the end no infraction was involved in the play. I haven't seen an instance where the new official in the press box has added any speed to the game. In the end, the pace of the game made an exciting, emotional game almost unwatchable.
It's awful. I hate it and it's only bearable because I start watching games on TV an hour after kickoff so I can speed through the interminable delays.

The most fitting analogy I can make here is that allowing the officiating crews to ruin the game in pursuit of refereeing perfection is like letting a city's traffic engineers ruin an urban core to allow traffic to move more efficiently. It's basically emphasizing one aspect to the detriment of the whole.

The actual stadium experience is degrading to shit since you can't speed through the delays when you're watching it in person, and they're obviously becoming more cautious with other delays like the 1 hour+ weather delay at the last Bomber game despite the fact that nothing more than a light rainshower happened. Honestly I'd rather have no video replay at all and live with the odd officiating mistake than the crap that they're serving up now.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's awful. I hate it and it's only bearable because I start watching games on TV an hour after kickoff so I can speed through the interminable delays.

The most fitting analogy I can make here is that allowing the officiating crews to ruin the game in pursuit of refereeing perfection is like letting a city's traffic engineers ruin an urban core to allow traffic to move more efficiently. It's basically emphasizing one aspect to the detriment of the whole.

The actual stadium experience is degrading to shit since you can't speed through the delays when you're watching it in person, and they're obviously becoming more cautious with other delays like the 1 hour+ weather delay at the last Bomber game despite the fact that nothing more than a light rainshower happened. Honestly I'd rather have no video replay at all and live with the odd officiating mistake than the crap that they're serving up now.
The games need to be completed in under 3 hours unless there is overtime. This is something that the CFL needs to address. There cannot be ongoing delays resulting in 3.5 hours games.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 5:02 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

What became of the 'eye in the sky' thing where the video official was supposed to be correcting obvious mistakes without being asked? Is that actually happening?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 6:13 PM

^ Yes, I recall seeing it used at least once, and that was in the Winnipeg-Calgary game... if I remember correctly it negated a Winnipeg offside, and didn't take quite as long as the typical review. The ref didn't announce that there was a review or any 'eye in the sky' factor and just said there was no infraction on the play. Fans in the stadium may not have even been aware as to what happened.

You raise a good point though, if the 'eye in the sky' can be used to quickly reverse obvious (to the command centre) errors, then that's a form of review I can live with. However, at the rate things are going with the CFL, I am half expecting the league to start allowing the coaches to provide up to 5 minutes each of oral arguments in support of their positions whenever a video review takes place.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 2:59 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

REDBLACKS have announced a sellout for their home opener this Friday

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 5:06 PM

Very interesting read on the BC Lions's and Vancouver Whitecap's attendance.

https://www.biv.com/article/2016/7/v...ttendance-num/

"Since BC Place Stadium reopened from its $512 million renovation in September 2011, the Whitecaps and BC Lions have overstated attendance by a combined 500,000 fans. But, after a three-year legal battle, the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner (OIPC) ordered stadium management to release the actual counts.

The total announced by the Whitecaps at games from October 2011 to March 2016 was 1.67 million. Figures released by PavCo, and analyzed by Business in Vancouver, show the actual attendance count by the stadium’s staff was 1.41 million for the 84-game period. The BC Lions claimed 1.38 million over 47 games, but drew 1.14 million."

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 5:18 PM

^ Not terribly shocking that teams inflate their attendance stats... I think this is a fairly common occurrence throughout the world of pro sports. Follow the Empty Seats twitter feed and you'll see plenty of photos of near-empty sections at supposedly sold out events.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 5:24 PM

We're not talking about 1,000 or even 2,000 which I would anticipate but upwards of 5,000 to 6,000 for the Lions' games. When I watch games here in Ottawa or elsewhere on television I don't see the same kind of "embellishment" for example I can tell watching a game in Winnipeg whether there is approximately 26,000 or 31,000 based on empty seats and the attendance count typically agrees.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 11:59 PM

It wouldn't be a concern if the majority of those no-shows were sold tickets, but I wouldn't be surprised if many of those tickets are freebees that don't get used. I wouldn't be surprised if the Lions are barely breaking even if not losing money.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 4:57 AM

Bombers win! Bombers win!

I sure didn't see that one coming...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada