HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 5:14 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Good--1600 Market has been empty most of the last several years--it was a failed restaurant, sat empty, then it was a failed furniture store, then sat empty, and at some point I'm pretty sure it was a restaurant yet again which, of course, failed. Tear it down and build it up!
I totally agree, the building has been a mess for a long time, even when something was in it like the awful all you can eat Chinese buffet. The sad part though is that instead of getting the cool Saitowitz building, it looks like we'll end up with another mediocre, mostly boring structure like so many others in San Francisco. Anything will be an improvement, but why do we so seldom get anything dynamic and interesting here?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 4:41 PM

It doesn't look like anyone has reported that according to CURBED the second Rincon Hill tower is set to rise this summer!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 10:38 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

^There was some mention of it recently. One Rincon sure changed the skyline, the lone skyscraper on a hill--I suspect the second tower will make it seem less....naked.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 2:19 AM

A Panorama - Changes as Seen from the Archstone Fox Plaza

A view from my balcony of changes happening now, some coming soon, and some maybe never. The view is Market St. from 8th St. to 10th St., and from Market St. to Howard St. (I've lived at 1390 Market St. for 40 years and I have always known the are from South Van Ness to the bay as South of Market Street. If one really wants to go back in time, it used to be called South of the Slot!)

Click on image for a more detailed view.

1 - Trinity Place, 2nd building, 8th & Mission, (see yellow crane)
2 - 55 9th Street - 17 stories of apartments (coming this year?)
3 - Market Square - 1300 block of Market St. - renovation from the basement to the roof - Twitter to be the anchor tenant
4 - Crescent Heights - 10th & Market Sts. - 4 levels up to 35 stories
5 - 10th & Mission Sts., north side - low income (I'm too rich and not poor enough for this one - where is the housing for my income level?)
6 - 1415 Mission St. - 14 stories of residential (approved, but when coming?)
7 - Former St. Joseph Catholic Church - repurposed as open office space (could be quite interesting) - probably starts this summer

View from Archstone Fox Plaza - April 2012

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 5:23 AM

Wow, what a great picture and breakdown of projects in the area. Exciting times. Thanks.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 5:30 PM

1988 Market is alive and might break ground in a month thanks to some former NBA legends...

Quote:
Condos struck by Magic Hoops legend, Brian Spiers won’t play the rental game

Developer Brian Spiers is teaming up with basketball legend Magic Johnson’s Canyon Johnson Urban Funds on a 115-unit housing project on Upper Market Street that will likely be under construction this spring.
The San Francisco project at 1998 Market St., the site of a defunct gas station, is being designed by Arquitectonica and is one of the few Bay Area developments being built as condominiums, rather than rental units. The hard construction costs will be $35.5 million. Spiers bought the site in 2006 for about $10 million. Canyon Johnson and Spiers are finalizing a construction loan with Wells Fargo.
“We have paid for and pulled our site permit, demolition permit, and filed our foundation plan,” said Spiers. “We believe construction will start within 30 days.”
Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci....html?page=all

Source: www.socketsite.com

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
1988 Market is alive and might break ground in a month thanks to some former NBA legends...

Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci....html?page=all

Source: www.socketsite.com
Does anyone want to estimate what the land value is of the entire city of SF? It's amazing that this relatively small parcel, one of tens of thousands, is worth $10 million!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 5:54 PM

A few other highlights from the article about other projects in the immediate area:

1600 Market:

Quote:
In addition to 1998 Market St., Spiers and Canyon Johnson are going forward with 1600 Market St., a 24-unit project, which will satisfy the affordable housing requirement for the 1998 Market project. Under the city’s affordable housing ordinance, 15 percent of a project’s units must be affordable to low- to moderate-income households, a requirement that rises to 20 percent if a developer chooses to build the affordable portion off-site. Both parcels of land were transferred into a joint venture with Spiers and Canyon Johnson. Cahill is the general contractor on both projects. Forum Design is the architect on the affordable development.
Source: www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco

2001 Market:

Quote:
The project is across the street from Prado Group’s 80-unit rental project, which will include a Whole Foods market on the ground floor and soon begin construction.
Source: www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 6:15 PM

It's great to see all this activity in the area, along with 1844 Market, which restarted last year. I'm surprised the Arquitectonica design survived the approval process. And I didn't realize that's how 1600 Market was being funded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
Does anyone want to estimate what the land value is of the entire city of SF? It's amazing that this relatively small parcel, one of tens of thousands, is worth $10 million!
As of July 2011, San Francisco's property roll value was $163 billion.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 11:05 PM

1844 Market Street - Resurrected! An Easter Miracle?

I was by 1844 Market Street today and was happy to see a lot of actiivity on this long stalled project. No more swampy lake at the bottom of a deep hole! Almost too much to keep up with! I hope the construction crane (out of view on the left) didn't rust after so many years being idle. Was gold found at the bottom of the hole?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 12:00 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
I was by 1844 Market Street today and was happy to see a lot of actiivity on this long stalled project. No more swampy lake at the bottom of a deep hole! Almost too much to keep up with! I hope the construction crane (out of view on the left) didn't rust after so many years being idle. Was gold found at the bottom of the hole?
Yes Jerry, it's really good to see this site get going after being idle for so long. I can't believe from a safety standpoint that the City let the crane stand there for so long; Chicago, for one, would not allow that.

Even more exciting though is the fact that there will be five of these projects occurring simultaneously on upper Market, from 1600 Market up to the intersection of Market, Noe and 16th! There is going to be so much additional life and activity added to that stretch of Market Street, particularly from Dolores to Gough.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 12:29 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

All these new projects, simultanously under construction, are really going to transform Upper Market Street, that's for sure.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 1:29 AM
testify

cue 'flight of the valkyries'. just got back from the vinter's market at ft mason to the surprise news of the resuscitation of two of my three favorite market street projects (guerrero whole foods, where art thou?). i'm almost manically happy.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 4:12 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
All these new projects, simultanously under construction, are really going to transform Upper Market Street, that's for sure.
It's amazing, especially considering that it doesn't include any of the direct Octavia Boulevard projects yet!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 4:18 AM
Surrounded by Nature

I looked around the City with binoculars from my windows today (and wish I had a camera lens that could equal them) to see how many cranes I could find. I counted 14 plus a pile driver and other miscellaneous items in Mission Bay--amazing--it will only improve with Foundry Square III, ORH 2 and others!! It's also cool to see two hospitals being built, SF General and UCSF Mission Bay. We have definitely come alive again!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 1:53 AM

Zomg!!! 👯💅👙💩

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 4:51 PM

Quote:
^There was some mention of it recently. One Rincon sure changed the skyline, the lone skyscraper on a hill--I suspect the second tower will make it seem less....naked.
I drove by Rincon Hill yesterday afternoon and they are already starting on the base for the 2nd tower... I wanted to take pictures to post them, but my friend that was driving wanted to hurry up and get to Water Bar for happy hour oysters.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 5:25 PM

I can't keep up! This is crazy, can anyone put together a list of all the projects? And do they have threads?

I didn't think Rincon Hill 2 was underway yet, there was that other project there that started a few months back, is that what you saw?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rriojas71 View Post
I drove by Rincon Hill yesterday afternoon and they are already starting on the base for the 2nd tower... I wanted to take pictures to post them, but my friend that was driving wanted to hurry up and get to Water Bar for happy hour oysters.
Are you sure it wasn't 333 Harrison?

Photo by me.

If not, I'm stoked!!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
Are you sure it wasn't 333 Harrison?

Photo by me.

If not, I'm stoked!!
Yeah I think this is what I saw. Sorry guys.

We drove by pretty quickly so I assumed this was the 2nd tower because it was so close to ORH and I read that they were going to proceed with construction this year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations