HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Omni Dallas Convention Center Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Dallas Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 9:15 AM

DALLAS l Omni Dallas Convention Center Hotel l 376 FEET / 23 FLOORS

Quote:
DALLAS, Sept. 15 /PRNewswire/ -- In a ceremony featuring Mayor Tom Leppert, the Dallas City Council and a broad spectrum of civic and community leaders, the City of Dallas broke ground today on the 23-story Omni Dallas Convention Center Hotel, endorsed by voters in May and backed by the sale of nearly $500 million in revenue bonds in August. When the property opens in early 2012, Dallas will boast a luxurious, 1,000-room hotel with state-of-the-art features and convenient skybridge access into one of the nation's largest convention centers.

During opening remarks and the groundbreaking ceremony that followed, Mayor Leppert was flanked by the Dallas City Council, city officials and project supporters from the Dallas Convention & Visitors Bureau; Downtown Dallas; Dallas Regional Chamber; Asian, Black, GLBT, Hispanic and Oak Cliff Chambers of Commerce and hospitality industry, as well as other community leaders who supported the year long effort to move forward with the hotel.

"This has never been about a building," said Mayor Tom Leppert. "It has always been about positioning Dallas for success and about keeping Dallas competitive. This hotel is a symbol of our city's confidence and willingness to invest in its future."

Owned by the City of Dallas, the hotel is located on eight acres in the heart of the nation's eighth-largest city, which is now experiencing a renaissance from more than $14 billion in new development underway in and near the urban core. Within its six-acre design are a signature restaurant, lounges, retail, a high-end Mokara Spa, pool deck and other features. The remaining two acres of the site are slated for dining, retail and other venues that will enhance entertainment opportunities for those who visit, work or live downtown.

Dallas City Manager Mary Suhm recognized the many years of work it took to get to this point. "For more than two decades, City Councils and our staff have known this is a critical step in keeping the Dallas Convention Center competitive and boosting our convention and hospitality industry," said Ms. Suhm. "We are grateful for the many people who kept this dream alive. It just shows that vision and perseverance do pay off."

Matthews Southwest President Jack Matthews, whose firm was selected as convention hotel developer, has developed commercial, industrial and residential projects throughout North America including the South Side on Lamar residential complex in Dallas. "We see the hotel as being a great economic engine for additional development around the convention center," said Matthews. "It is our goal to continue to build a strong connection between downtown and South Dallas, and the hotel will be a true catalyst for helping achieve that vision."

In addition to connecting 1,000 rooms via skybridge to the Dallas Convention Center, the new hotel will offer a minimum of 80,000 square feet of flexible meeting space, with a 33,500 square-foot Senior Ballroom, a 16,500 square-foot Junior Ballroom, 10,000 square feet of usable outdoor area and Internet access throughout the entire property.

Speaking on behalf of Omni Hotels, which operates 45 luxury hotels and resorts in North America and was selected by the city as the convention hotel operator, President Mike Deitemeyer said, "The Omni Hotel and the area that surrounds it will ultimately showcase Dallas' burgeoning arts, our ever-developing culinary scene and our amazing sports and shopping heritage -- in a rich, diverse and dynamic manner. Our plans to make sure we are set up for success have already begun and there is tremendous interest in the project from customers already."

The Dallas Convention & Visitors Bureau states that, to date, it has received commitments for meetings totaling 400,000 definite room nights for groups that have committed to Dallas for future years using the Omni Dallas Convention Center Hotel. Additional commitments are expected in the coming months now that the hotel's construction has begun. These large citywide conventions will utilize the new Omni Dallas Convention Center Hotel as well as multiple hotels throughout the city.
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...l,961619.shtml

http://www.dallasobserver.com/slideshow/view/28474732

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 4:29 PM

Nice. Looks like basically nothing was there where it's being built?

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 8:57 PM
Ex Houstonian

I like it but whats up with giant patches of grass they are just leaving in front of it, seems like a waste of space.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
I like it but whats up with giant patches of grass they are just leaving in front of it, seems like a waste of space.
I'm guessing those are just a product of the rendering and are not intended to be grassy patches indefinitely.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
Nice. Looks like basically nothing was there where it's being built?
Just a big parking lot.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
The rendering is just of the hotel. The grassy areas is for additional developments that aren't a art of the hotel. In other words, when all is said and done, those lawns probably wont be there.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 1:17 AM
Hopeful Graduate

I like this tower, and it great to finally hear some news on a dallas project, if i was there right now I would take a lot of photos and post them.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 12:46 AM

Construction site as seen from the Tower Club on the 48th floor of Thanksgiving Tower and taken by TexasStar...

http://forum.dallasmetropolis.com/sh...89&postcount=1

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 11:11 AM

I haven't been able to get down and take any pics of my own, but here are two showing the progress over roughly the last month. The first from around 12/5 and the second taken around 1/10...

http://forum.dallasmetropolis.com/sh...&postcount=787

www.dallasnews.com

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 11:22 AM

Also worth mentioning, the city is pushing hard to have the second downtown rail corridor run by the convention center hotel...

Quote:
DART: Dallas could help fund rail by new hotel
12:40 AM CST on Monday, January 18, 2010
By MICHAEL A. LINDENBERGER / The Dallas Morning News
mlindenberger@dallasnews.com

If the Dallas City Council wants the new downtown rail line to run by the convention center hotel, it might have to help Dallas Area Rapid Transit pay for the $824 million project, DART leaders say.

The council has strenuously urged DART to build the second downtown rail line so that it includes a stop at the hotel, as well as an underground station at City Hall.

The second downtown line, scheduled to open in 2016, has long been planned as a necessary expansion for DART, which is already experiencing daily delays during rush hour as the number of trains through downtown continues to rise.

The hotel route, one of four still under consideration by DART engineers as they prepare this spring to seek federal approval for the project, would cost about $824 million by the time it's built. That's in contrast to the $509 million price tag for the cheapest alternative, a route that would run along Young Street.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...t.3f72184.html

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtk1519 View Post
Construction site as seen from the Tower Club on the 48th floor of Thanksgiving Tower and taken by TexasStar...

I realize this is very off-topic, but what are the plans for Reunion Arena? Is the convention center going to expand that direction?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eburress View Post
I realize this is very off-topic, but what are the plans for Reunion Arena? Is the convention center going to expand that direction?
The arena is gone now and the site is pretty much cleared. I think the city is still looking at plans for the site, but nothing is planned as of yet.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 4:07 AM
JoeCooper

I love it!!! I only wish it could have been taller. However, I will say though for the area in which it is being built, it has a very reasonable height as planned!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 5:13 AM

The site was originally full of warehouses and rail yards:

They were all leveled and cleared off for Griffin Square, a large development in the 1980s that fell through. LINK TO ARTICLE

Those green patches are going to be areas of retail/entertainment adjacent to the hotel. Or, it could include a portal to the DART subway station. The city council wants the new DART route to serve the convention center hotel, but it will cost at least $300 million more than any other route and serve fewer passengers. The Convention Center already has a station nearby.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 5:55 AM
JoeCooper

I'd definetely say that is one remarkable improvement to say the very least!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 7:48 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtk1519 View Post

way off topic but what the awning thing in the top right???

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
way off topic but what the awning thing in the top right???
It's what was left of Reunion Arena...

http://wnymedia.net/sports/sportsroa...wreckers-ball/

It's all gone now.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Dallas convention hotel building momentum
by BYRON HARRIS / WFAA-TV
Posted on January 19, 2010 at 9:38 PM
Updated Tuesday, Jan 19 at 10:23 PM

DALLAS — With 23 floors, a thousand rooms and a price tag of $550 million, the Dallas convention center hotel is far from a paltry project. But in the last few weeks, it has been rising as fast as a model home in a subdivision.

Just six weeks ago, the hotel was a three-story deep hole. Now, parts of it are already three stories tall.

The site bustles with highly-orchestrated frenzy. On a busy day, close to 50 concrete trucks arrive over an eight-hour period. They can carry as much as 100 tons of cement among them.

The 300 workers at the site — metal fabricators, concrete finishers, form carpenters and plumbers — observe a tight close order drill. One floor is poured, using hydraulic concrete pumps.

It hardens in a day. As it does, workers begin removing forms beneath in readiness to pour the next floor above.

As the hotel gains altitude, the workforce will increase to as many as 800.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/HOTEL...-82115967.html
Video Link

Old Posted Jan 24, 2010, 8:17 AM
JoeCooper

As much as I like this project, I am suprised that it was not built on at least the same scale as the one in Fort Worth was. Just a thought...

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 1:58 PM
Sea™/Ciudad™

Location: Dallas.TX Previously:Seattle/San Diego/Chicago/New London/Portsmouth

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive