HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 12:24 PM

I saw this house last week while walking, it didn't come out very well because someone came down the driveway I was in front of trying to take it, but when I saw it I figured it was similar to the style they were trying to go for in Pleasantville.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 12:29 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

That's not bad at all. It's a pity the ones in Pleasantville didn't turn out as nice.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 12:59 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 3:13 PM

I was reading through the Planning & Housing standing committee meeting minutes for Sept 25 (attached to the Sept 24 council meeting minutes) and noticed a couple of items I thought were worth posting.

Planning & Housing Standing Committee, Sept 25, 2012

Quote:
Representatives Regal Realty re: Application to Redevelop Virginia Park Plaza (Ward 1)

The Committee met with representatives of Regal Realty regarding its proposal to redevelop the property such that there will be two five (5) storey buildings with a total of approximately 252 residential apartment units under condominium ownership, plus a small two (2) storey commercial building which would be located near the street frontage. The Committee also considered a memorandum dated September 21, 2012 from the Department of Planning.

On a motion put forth by Councillor Tilley; Seconded by Councillor
Hickman the Committee is of the opinion that the proposed development is
consistent with the objectives and policies of the St. John’s Municipal Plan
and would make good use of this under-used commercial site by providing
new housing while maintaining a convenient neighbourhood/commercial
presence. Therefore, the Committee recommends Council direct the
applicants to prepare a land use assessment report (LUAR) regarding the
possible rezoning of the property to Commercial Office Hotel (COH) Zone to
enable the proposed redevelopment project. Upon completion of the
assessment report and its review by City staff, the Committee recommends
the proposed rezoning and assessment report be advertised to the area
residents and property owners for public review and comment.
The proposed terms of reference for the assessment report have b
Quote:
Proposed next steps for Envision St. John’s Municipal Plan Review – Special Topic meetings

The Committee considered a memorandum from the Director of Planning dated
September 21, 2012 which outlined the proposed next steps for Envision St. John’s Municipal Plan Review.

On a motion put forth by Councillor Breen; seconded by Councillor Hickman, it was agreed that the special topic meeting for heritage will be held on Tuesday, October 30, 2012, from 8:30am to 12pm in the Foran Greene Room, City Hall. The Heritage Advisory Committee has been consulted with regard to suggestions as to the format, invitees, and outline for the event. This session will include invited and public participants, bringing together public and private heritage interest groups to discuss the need for a future vision for heritage and the regulatory aspect within the new Municipal Plan. Approximately forty (40) participants will be involved in this half day session. The special topic meeting for environmental issues will be constructed in a similar format
as the heritage forum. It is anticipated that this session on environmental issues will take place in mid-November 2012. The Environmental Advisory Committee will be consulted by the Department of Planning with regard to the general format, suggestions for invited participants and proposed questions.
Quote:
Preparation of a development concept plan for lands above the 190 metre contour elevation – Kenmount Road area (Wards 3 and 4)

The Committee considered a memorandum dated September 21, 2012 from the Director of Planning with respect to the above noted topic. A motion was put forth by Councillor Tilley; seconded by Councillor Hickman that City staff be directed to prepare a proposal call to engage planning/engineering consultant services for the preparation of a development concept plan for lands on both sides of Kenmount Road that are located above the 190 metre contour elevation. It is further recommended that Council give consideration to the establishment of a development concept plan preparation assessment fee applied in the future to owners/developers of properties included in the study area at the time of specific applications for proposed development of properties in this area. The assessment fee could potentially be calculated and charged on a per hectare basis and could be applied in order to assist in recovering the City’s cost to engage consultants to prepare the development concept plan.
There's also a bunch of residential development proposals which were recommended by the committee.

http://www.stjohns.ca/upload/agendas...tober12012.pdf

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 3:25 PM

So now we know the Virginia Park plans, it seems like its basically what I wanted to see for that area.

Last edited by PoscStudent; Sep 30, 2012 at 12:54 AM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
September 29, 2012

Salt for Winter by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr
This area will look really good once the second phase of Fort William condos and Harborside condo's are built!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
September 29, 2012

MIX Condos Site by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr
Also, I am wondering what the paneling on the side of the TD building is going to look like. Is it that dark brown color to the right, or the light beige to the left??

If it's that white-ish color, I don't think it's going to look very good. The building will just blend right in with the fortis building. I think they should have continued with the charcoal brick the whole way up. That would make for a classy contrast between the two buildings. The paneling looks kind of cheap right now.

But I trust that fortis knows what they are doing and have considered how it will look when compared to the fortis building after the fortis building gets it's re-clad. Remember, we don't know for sure what is planned for the fortis building reclad. That image is outdated along with the info that came with it. The Fortis Building is now not getting re-cladded until after Fortis Place is completed, so they have lots of time to re-think what they will do with their existing building.

I am hopeful that in 10 years we will look at the fortis/TD twins and like what we see, But as of now I can't say I'm a fan of either possible color on the TD building

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 11:05 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

They're going to be caramel-coloured panels. On that picture, they're the two panels that aren't connected to the beige to the left or the brown to the right. They are on the side of the building facing you, but at the lower left of that side. That's the colour it will be.

And I agree, it's hideous. Especially given what TD is shelling out on their beatiful reclad in Halifax.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
They're going to be caramel-coloured panels. On that picture, they're the two panels that aren't connected to the beige to the left or the brown to the right. They are on the side of the building facing you, but at the lower left of that side. That's the colour it will be.

And I agree, it's hideous. Especially given what TD is shelling out on their beatiful reclad in Halifax.
Wow...
I wonder how they're going to pull that off.. I agree, the TD building reclad in Halifax is beautiful.. Guess St. John's got the shaft! I definitely prefer the red brick over the brown panels.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 1:00 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

September 30, 2012

Downtown St. John's from Kilbride by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Littledale Complex by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

St. John's from Pitts Memorial Drive by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

New Development at Brookfield and Topsailt by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

New Development at Brookfield and Topsail from Kilbride by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Village Mall from Kilbride by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Team Gushue Highway by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Team Gushue Highway by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Farmland in Mount Pearl by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Signal Hill from Mount Pearl by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Growth in The Goulds and Mount Pearl by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 4:39 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We now have LTE mobile speeds:

(Screenshot via Reddit)

My desktop PC, to compare:

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 5:51 PM

I have a question.. How much does winter slow construction around here? Does it halt most projects completely? Does in not make a huge difference? Or does it not affect projects U/C but prevent new projects from starting

I understand every winter would be different but generally how much does it affect construction in the city?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 5:52 PM

Quote:
We now have LTE mobile speeds:

(Screenshot via Reddit)

My desktop PC, to compare:

Is this through Bell and/or Telus? I know Rogers had LTE here in St. John's for a while

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 7:27 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Aww no fair. Yes - Bell for me.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 10:08 PM

Anyone notice that the time it took Fortis to put new siding/cladding on the TD Building, East Port Properties were able to put up an entire new building in what seems half the time. LOL.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 11:04 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ Great pics of the West End and downtown again Signal. I didn't know you could see that much from Kilbride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Anyone notice that the time it took Fortis to put new siding/cladding on the TD Building, East Port Properties were able to put up an entire new building in what seems half the time. LOL.
And the TD building was constructed probably just as fast as 351 in the beginning. It has a similar steel structure and a tower crane - I think it only took about a year or so (1981-82). BTW around that tiime there was a further expected highrise boom which didn't materialize until later, including proposals for three 12 storey office towers at New Gower and Springdale, as well as a large 12 storey condo, a hotel, and a 5 storey office building east of city hall.

The reclad is probably slow in part because the building is occupied. I think it will progress faster from here on.

Last edited by Architype; Sep 30, 2012 at 11:34 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post

The reclad is probably slow in part because the building is occupied. I think it will progress faster from here on.
That's a shame! I think the paper looks better that those panels xD

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 12:06 AM

A 12 storey condo? i have not heard of that one before. any pictures around of what it was supposed to look like?

EDIT: I would love to see some high-rise condo proposals! I think it could really work out around Quidi Vidi lake (And area). I'm also pretty exited to see the new design for the Hilton Garden inn! hopefully it looks good.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 12:36 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyLawrenceDylan14 View Post
A 12 storey condo? i have not heard of that one before. any pictures around of what it was supposed to look like?

EDIT: I would love to see some high-rise condo proposals! I think it could really work out around Quidi Vidi lake (And area). I'm also pretty exited to see the new design for the Hilton Garden inn! hopefully it looks good.
I saw a pic from an old newspaper clipping, it looked lile a conrete slab building which stepped down and towards the back in offset layers from 12 to 8 stories.

Most people seem agreed that Quidi Vidi Lake would be good for highrise development, but I expect most of those who live there now would not agree. The Hilton design was rather plain and modern, but I hope they haven't tried too hard to give it a pseudo heritage look.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 12:38 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

And Heritage doesn't have to be clapboard rowhouses.

A skyscraper with a nice, ornate roof like the Supreme Court would look just as at home near old St. John's.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's