HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

47-27 Center Boulevard in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 3, 2010, 3:51 AM

Smile NEW YORK | East Coast LIC ǀ 7 Towers ǀ 200-316+ FT / 61-96 M ǀ 18 - 42+ FLOORS

Ok everyone! Here it is, one of the largest residential projects in NYC (3300 units+) that no one is talking about. It's about to be joined by Hunter's Point South, but that's another story for another day (and it hasn't broken ground yet). Please feel free to add any photos of the completed buildings (or those under construction here). In any event, let's talk about the site plan:

[1]

The three buildings on the right side of the plan have been built. The buildings on the south (right on the image) are East Coast 1 and East Coast 2. They're both rentals, and they're both very nice. The third building, the one in front of the big square park is called The View. It's the shortest of the 3 buildings, but it's famous for every single apartment having views of Manhattan. The back of the building (facing Center Boulevard) is actually a hallway on every floor. There are no views to Queens. Currently, soil remediation is ongoing for the rest of the site (if someone wants to add photos of dirt being cleaned, go for it), but models have been shown of the next two towers. They are currently being known as East Coast 3 and 4 and are expected to break ground by February. The turf-field park is also completed and getting good use. You can see it in the site photo(s) below. Here's some photos and facts (where I have them):

East Coast 1
299 FT / 31 Stories / 650 Units

[1]

[1]

[1]

East Coast 2
316 FT / 30 Stories / 395 Units

[2]

[3]

[3]

The View
184 FT / 18 Stories / 184 Units

[3]

[4]

East Coast 3
? / 42-45 Stories / 400-500 Units

[7]

[7]

East Coast 4
? / ? / 750 Units

[6]

[6]

Site Photos
Before:

[1]

[1]

In Process:

[3]

[5]

Credits
[1] http://www.queenswest.com
[2] http://www.flickr.com/photos/atestofwill
[3] http://www.flickr.com/photos/liqcity
[4] http://wirednewyork.com/forum/member.php?u=12228 (Tectonic)
[5] http://www.flickr.com/photos/smurphy
[6] http://www.curbed.com
[7] http://www.outerb.com

Last edited by RoldanTTLB; Mar 20, 2012 at 12:34 AM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2010, 4:56 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

I believe this is the same site where the proposed Olympic Village would have been built for the failed 2012 bid.

P.S. This thread is missing the NYC smiley

Old Posted Jan 3, 2010, 2:10 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
I believe this is the same site where the proposed Olympic Village would have been built for the failed 2012 bid.
Not quite. That's the other one he mentioned, the massive city residential development. There was a thread, but here's a quote from the East River development thread...

Quote:
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...eeing_red.html

Residents worry about river access, artificial turf at new 11-acre Hunters Point park

BY Brendan Brosh
December 1st 2009

A new 11-acre park is in the works as part of the Hunters Point South mega-development in Long Island City, officials said.

But some residents are concerned about river access and the use of artificial turf in designs recently unveiled to the public.

The park is to feature the rehabilitation of an old pier, two dog parks, a bike path, a fitness area, volleyball court, waterfront promenades, a toddler play lot, kayak launch and other amenities.

The most prominent feature of the project is a large pavilion and green that city officials said would be covered with artificial turf.

Parks Department officials said maintaining the egg-shaped green is easiest when it's an artificial surface - especially when compared with grass, which needs constant replanting and is magnet for certain birds.

"We believe that synthetic turf is the most playable surface," said Charles McKinney, chief of design of the agency's capital projections division. "We believe synthetic turf is less attractive to geese."

Using grass would require that the green be closed for long periods of maintenance, he added. A Parks crew would regularly wash the synthetic surface to keep it clean, McKinney added.

But that plan didn't sit well with some audience members at a recent public hearing.

"When someone goes to a park, they're expecting nature," said Tom Paino, a local architect. "On a very hot, sunny day, you won't be able to use it."

A Daily News investigation in July 2008 found that artificial turf surfaces at Flushing Meadows-Corona Park could get as hot as 162 degrees.

"Our first preference is natural grass," Community Board 2 Chairman Joe Conley said at the meeting. "But Parks needs to know who is going to provide the maintenance."

The park construction is slated to occur in two phases, with work on the northern portion starting first.

A pier for a water taxi to shuttle commuters to Manhattan and elsewhere is just to the south of the pavilion area.

Local kayakers said the proposed watercraft launch at the end of Second St., which is part of the second phase of the project, was incomplete.

"Currently there is no provision for the storage of kayaks," said Erik Baard, who has been active in opening up the river to recreational canoeists and kayakers.

The park also includes a passive recreation area with a small peninsula that offers views of neighboring boroughs, crushed stone footpaths and a lawn bowl for picnicking.

The project is slated for further review by the community board.

"The community is looking at the project with great excitement," said Christian Gabriel, of Thomas Balsley Associates, a landscape architecture firm working on the park. "We'll keep checking in with the community to make sure their concerns are heard."

curbed.com

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2010, 2:14 PM
Bionic Boogie

SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Jan 3, 2010, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post

P.S. This thread is missing the NYC smiley
That's Hunter's Point South. If you take a look at the aerial above, it's the big blank area on the far left of these high-rises, all the way to the shorter building under construction and the sports dome just peaking out from behind the City Lights building (the one with the curved crest).

I cannot wait for that to break ground. I know the project is drawing flak for a variety of questionable reasons, but how often does the city embark on a wide scale building project that extends the street grid? Here's the site plan for that care of curbed:

Old Posted Jan 8, 2010, 7:57 PM

Here's a nice shot of some of the complex:

http://www.jonpchan.com/?p=1023

From left to right:
EC1, EC2, Avalon Riverview North (nearly my home!), Citylights. That last one was the first tower built in Queen's west, almost ten years ago, and is a CondOp (I don't think it's a full on CoOp anyway). The other three are rentals.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2010, 7:55 PM

really nice complex! thanx for sharing!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 8:21 PM

i personally hate everything that is going on over there.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 8:36 PM

but here are 2 pics i took of that area not long ago

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 10:38 PM

Oh RI! I used to live there, and now I don't. I'm sorry to say, but quite thankfully as well. That place was messed up. In any event, I'm sorry you don't like the LIC stuff. I'm really excited for it. I think that it's a net positive as far as development goes. While I don't agree with the amount of parking by either Rockrose or the city in HPS, I do appreciate the continuation of the street grid and the alignment and treatment of the park space. You'd think the towers would block the Manhattan skyline, but they're not so tall and not so broad, and everything is still quite visible from inland, so I just can't find much to dislike, which at the same time, I really love the way the area is coming together.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 4:18 AM

Remediation is wrapped up and all kinds of building outlines are staked out. I expect some serious digging to start this summer...

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 5:57 AM

EC4 is on its way up:

Saw rebar sticking up above ground when I was there the other day, but I can't seem to find my one crappy camera phone shot.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 1:20 AM

Well, since I'm probably the only one who will be photographing this one rise:

Old Posted Feb 5, 2011, 12:15 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/06/re...06posting.html

A Developer Aims High in Long Island City

[size=1]A rendering of TF Cornerstone’s East Coast project.

46-15 Center Boulevard is to be completed in 2012.

By ALISON GREGOR
February 4, 2011

Quote:
EVEN in a sluggish market, property developers are continuing to bet on Long Island City’s transformation from towering smokestacks to residential towers.

Last August TF Cornerstone, one of the city’s most prolific builders, broke ground on a 41-story tower at 46-15 Center Boulevard that is to have 367 rental apartments when finished in April 2012. In December at 45-40 Center, the developer poured the foundation for a 32-story high-rise that will have 345 rental apartments, and in March it will begin a third tower, at 45-45 Center, with 806 rentals.

By 2013, along with those three towers, TF Cornerstone plans to have finished a fourth, with 586 apartments, at 46-10 Center, directly behind the huge Pepsi sign on the East River waterfront.

K. Thomas Elghanayan, the chairman of TF Cornerstone, said he wasn’t worried about going ahead with high-rise buildings in a city development market that remains largely stagnant.

“We know the market there,” Mr. Elghanayan said. “We’re able to get the financing, and no one else is building. I believe by the time we finish these four buildings, the whole community will be an established market, and we’ll do well.”

Long Island City’s formerly industrial waterfront, only a subway stop away from Manhattan, was designated by the city and state for cleanup and redevelopment in the early 1980s. A plan was adopted to create roads and infrastructure on 74 waterfront acres to support 11 residential towers, two schools, a park, and a library designed by the architect Steven Holl and his partner Chris McVoy.

The Queens West Development Corporation, a government agency, has been working with private developers, who lease the land they build upon, to achieve that plan.

There are now seven apartment towers in the area. Neighborhood amenities include parking garages, a new Duane Reade store and a supermarket called Food Cellar. A spa, a wine shop and more restaurants are opening or are planned. Vernon Boulevard is a thriving commercial strip with a new health food store and restaurants like Madera Cuban Grill and Steakhouse and Testaccio Ristorante.

The existing towers, the oldest of which is Citylights, built in 1997, have a total of about 2,600 apartments (not including a building with senior housing). The four new glass buildings — which, with two of the existing buildings, are part of what TF Cornerstone calls East Coast — will add about 2,100 apartments. New York City also has a plan to develop 5,000 apartments, about 60 percent of them for middle-income residents, on 30 of the 74 acres immediately to the south at Hunters Point South. TF Cornerstone has submitted a plan to participate in that development as well.

One-bedroom rentals in Long Island City’s waterfront area start at $2,000 a month, while two-bedrooms start at $2,400 to $2,500 a month, said Silvette Julian, a vice president and project director with the brokerage Nest Seekers International. Landlords in the area said they were optimistic that demand for apartments would continue, especially among renters priced out of Manhattan. Over the last decade, AvalonBay Communities built two rental towers, Avalon Riverview and Avalon Riverview North, and both have rented easily, said Frederick S. Harris, a senior vice president of AvalonBay.

“There hasn’t been a lot of competitive price pressure,” he said, meaning the company has not had to reduce rents.

A year ago, TF Cornerstone began testing the sales waters with condominiums at the View, a glass-clad terraced building that looks a bit like an Incan pyramid, at 46-30 Center Boulevard. The 185-unit building is more than half sold, with prices at $800 to $1,000 a square foot, Mr. Elghanayan said.

Among available units in mid-January, a one-bedroom was listed for $616,000; a two-bedroom for $840,000; and a three-bedroom for $995,000. Common charges on those units ranged from $546 to $981 a month.

Mr. Elghanayan said the View had mostly larger apartments, even some four-bedrooms, because the developers believe Long Island City’s waterfront is evolving into an attractive neighborhood for families.

A 662-seat school for kindergarten through eighth grade will be built by the New York City School Construction Authority adjacent to the rental building going up at 46-15 Center. The area already has one small school, Public School 78Q, for kindergarten through fifth grade.

The 10-acre Gantry Plaza State Park is being expanded, and the library design was recently approved by the Queens Library Board of Trustees.

Each building in the East Coast development has its own fitness room and amenities, but the 806-unit building will have a 1,000-car parking garage, along with an amenity center for all residents of East Coast buildings. On top of the parking garage will be a recreational area with a pool, tennis courts, beach volleyball courts and other outdoor amenities.

The recreational area will also have a large gym for which East Coast residents will pay a nominal membership fee to join, Mr. Elghanayan said. Those amenities should be available in early 2013.

“A lot of people don’t even know this development is here yet,” he said. “They have a vague idea of a Pepsi sign and seeing it as they cross the Queensboro Bridge. But once you get out here, it’s pretty spectacular.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2011, 1:02 AM
Metal Up Your !

Wow! I'm loving those towers. The ones that are built already are all right, but the ones starting look much much better. Can't wait to see updates on the construction of this site

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 7:36 PM
Danny proud New Yorker

Here's a couple pics I took today

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 1:44 PM
New Yorker for life

Thank you sir. Someone has to get photos.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 2:09 AM

May 17

The second building begins to rise.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 4:38 AM
Ex Houstonian

WTF, how in the world have I missed this for the past year, what a huge development. It will add a pretty sweet skyline to the Bronx side of the river, I guess thats where it is, or maybe very northern Brooklyn. Either way, its freakin awesome.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 5:05 AM

It's LIC, right across from Midtown in the southwesternmost part of Queens.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive