HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk View Post
I suggest you stick with scheduled carriers in the future.
Indeed. Our original flight was on UA via IAH but booked through Aeroplan. Then there was some kind of discrepancy with the connection time at IAH and Aeroplan switched my flights via YYZ without actually notifying me. By luck i was checking the booking and noticed the major change. I have never had a schedule change with Aeroplan in which i was not directly notified immediately. Aeroplan allowed me to cancel the booking for free and i tried using TS. Maybe i'll have better luck next time connecting in the US.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO 044 View Post
Indeed. Our original flight was on UA via IAH but booked through Aeroplan. Then there was some kind of discrepancy with the connection time at IAH and Aeroplan switched my flights via YYZ without actually notifying me. By luck i was checking the booking and noticed the major change. I have never had a schedule change with Aeroplan in which i was not directly notified immediately. Aeroplan allowed me to cancel the booking for free and i tried using TS. Maybe i'll have better luck next time connecting in the US.
Every airline has issues and every passenger can relate some story about XYZ airline having problems.

I have flown Air Transat a number times and they have been fine but my one and only flight with Sunwing was rerouted and delayed 8 hours coming back and a WestJet flight I had was delayed 5 hours one time so stuff happens. Be happy your going to a warm climate considering the crappy winter weather we have been having.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Confirmed: This was the first and last time i fly with Air Transat.

Last night i had the "pleasure" of returning home from a sunny Cancun using the infamous 1-stop Air Transat flight to Cancun, TS 794 and TS 795.

TS 794 - YEG-YYC-CUN
1. Departure was at 9am. Boarding time was 8am. Everyone was at the gate at 8am. What time did we board? 8:40am.
No one boards 1 hour before the flight. That just doesn't happen, regardless of what is written on your boarding pass, and regardless if the plane spent the night in YEG.

Quote:
What i do believe is that they pad their schedule.
All airlines pad their schedules in winter. (de-icing on certain days needs to be factored in)

Quote:
7. The plane was maybe 30% full on the way down to YYC and 90% full down to CUN.
Which is probably why the flight was no longer non stop. Not saying the way TS does it is right, just saying the loads obviously didn't justify a non stop that day.

Today, for example, as I type this, TS is operating a non stop A332 YEG-CUN-YEG.

Quote:
7. Here's more fun. We land at YEG last night and the flight crew mentions that there will be a slight delay in parking the plane as the crew needs "to walk to their positions" for the aircraft to arrive. Who does TS use for a ground crew at YEG? Do they not know when an aircraft is arriving? There is virtually nothing going on at YEG at this time. I'm assuming this is not EIA's fault in any way.
That's a swissport problem, they handle ground crew for TS at YEG.

http://www.swissport.com/network/net...e06943a86c4a39

Quote:
8. Then we park. We wait 10 minutes for the two ladies to push the jet bridge onto the aircraft. Why? Who controls the jet bridge at YEG? The TS ground crew or EIA personnel? They suck. I literally stared at the two people for 10 minutes waiting for them to move the jet bridge.
Again, most likely swissport employees. This kind of stuff happens more often than you think.

Quote:
9. When i get off the plane i ask the two "jet bridge attendants" is the stroller being brought up and they said no. I said is this Air Transat policy? They say yes and mention that the "stroller will be on the carousel". Key words here.

11. I get to the luggage carousel and waited until almost the end and no stroller. I notice the two "jet bridge attendants" at the luggage claim counter. Talk about multi-tasking. I said where are the strollers. They say in the "oversized baggage area". I said you didn't tell me that when you got off the plane. They said yes we did. As you can see this conversation went nowhere at 2:00am. Can someone confirm to me if these are Air Transat employees?
I too have traveled with TS with infants, and had to collect the stroller from the oversized luggage carrousel. It's a bitch, but that doesn't mean I wont use them again. There must have been a decent amount of families with infants/kids on board. Could you imagine if every one of those pax waited in the gate area to collect their strollers. It would be chaos to deplane.

Basically, from what I read so far, everything minus the YYC stop is more or less "business as usual", whether you are flying Sunwing, WestJet or Rouge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk View Post
I have flown Air transat numerous times, each time had a few issues but that is common especially on holidays when you just want to get to the location and are flying a charter airline.

I suggest you stick with scheduled carriers in the future.
TS is a scheduled carrier. You can book their flights months in advance directly from their website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
Be happy your going to a warm climate considering the crappy winter weather we have been having.

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Feb 15, 2018 at 11:09 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 11:13 PM

WestJet always boards, in my experience, at the printed boarding time. I usuall fly Air Canada and am used to their late boardings, One of the times I flew westjet I had a 90 minute lyover at YEG so I went and got some food and heard my name over the PA cause they had already boarded the flight and departure time was still a good 15 minutes away.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
No one boards 1 hour before the flight. That just doesn't happen, regardless of what is written on your boarding pass, and regardless if the plane spent the night in YEG.
I respectfully disagree. I may fly less than many on this board but i haven't had a 40 minute discrepancy in boarding times on WS, AC and many European carriers.

Quote:
All airlines pad their schedules in winter. (de-icing on certain days needs to be factored in)
I guess TS isn't doing a good job of this either then on the busy and long YEG-YYC run. YEG SDT: 8:55, YEG ADT: 9:35, YYC SAT: 9:55, YYC AAT:10:11

Quote:
Which is probably why the flight was no longer non stop. Not saying the way TS does it is right, just saying the loads obviously didn't justify a non stop that day.
Today, for example, as I type this, TS is operating a non stop A332 YEG-CUN-YEG.
You are correct that today's flight was non-stop. It is the Tuesday flights going forward that got changed to a one-stop flight. It isn't a one or two week last minute change it is an ongoing schedule change and they must have known loads were poor more than one month before they switched the routing. I had mentioned this previously and some have argued that car rentals or hotels are no different but there is something fundamental about booking a one-stop flight versus a nonstop flight. I don't think there is any justification for this where you can get away with it in the fine print. Otherwise just tell me that i will leave YEG at some point and arrive in CUN at some point but leave me guessing as to the number of stops, departure and arrival time.

Quote:
That's a swissport problem, they handle ground crew for TS at YEG.

http://www.swissport.com/network/net...e06943a86c4a39

Again, most likely swissport employees. This kind of stuff happens more often than you think.
Good to know. I was curious who handles their aircraft and general needs at YEG.

Quote:
I too have traveled with TS with infants, and had to collect the stroller from the oversized luggage carrousel. It's a bitch, but that doesn't mean I wont use them again. There must have been a decent amount of families with infants/kids on board. Could you imagine if every one of those pax waited in the gate area to collect their strollers. It would be chaos to deplane.
I call BS on this. In the grand scheme of things there wasn't a crazy amount of strollers in Cancun. I have seen more people waiting for strollers on flights to Europe than on this flight and i'm assuming the strollers are placed close to the cargo door as when deplaning in Europe the strollers are taken up the stairs before most of the people deplane.

Quote:
Basically, from what I read so far, everything minus the YYC stop is more or less "business as usual", whether you are flying Sunwing, WestJet or Rouge.
Actually Air Transat disagrees with you. They consider the change from nonstop to one stop at YYC business as usual and to put it in their terms "a minor inconvenience". Yes when you are sitting in a call center out east it is indeed a minor inconvenience.

Last edited by LO 044; Feb 16, 2018 at 3:43 AM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 5:56 AM

Quote:
It would be chaos to deplane.
Nah. Worst is WS' MCO runs, in terms of "stroller to pax" ratio. Bazillion strollers, but it's manageable. You might just be waiting for a long time. "Chaos" is rather hyperbolic. A typical AMS run on KL's 332 will have far more strollers.

Quote:
7. Here's more fun. We land at YEG last night and the flight crew mentions that there will be a slight delay in parking the plane as the crew needs "to walk to their positions" for the aircraft to arrive. Who does TS use for a ground crew at YEG? Do they not know when an aircraft is arriving? There is virtually nothing going on at YEG at this time. I'm assuming this is not EIA's fault in any way.
Trying flying Air Canada out of Calgary. "Slight delay" does not begin to describe what has been going on some days here since the new terminal opened.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
...Trying flying Air Canada out of Calgary. "Slight delay" does not begin to describe what has been going on some days here since the new terminal opened.
I'm proud to say that I have yet to fly out of the new Terminal in YYC and have no plans to do so ever in the future!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 4:35 PM

Either way, having to wait a minute or 2 for a ground crew, even when you think they have nothing else to do, happens to every airline all day long to the extent that it's pointless to put it on a list of things you're upset about on a trip.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Either way, having to wait a minute or 2 for a ground crew, even when you think they have nothing else to do, happens to every airline all day long to the extent that it's pointless to put it on a list of things you're upset about on a trip.
Everyone has lists. How about the water fountain list on the YYC thread? What's your point. Poor service is poor service. I'm just stating it.

In your previous comment you mention how many delays there are at YYC after their new terminal opened up. No big deal right as you get a brand new shiny terminal and sporadic water fountains so be happy. What's interesting is that you compare the issues at YYC with that of YEG. Based on reading the YYC thread the YYC problems seem to stem from an abundance of flights and poor terminal design and/or terminal operation. YEG or more so Swissport has one less than half full international flight arriving at 1:30am and can't handle the intricacies of getting it to the gate, attaching a jet bridge and communicating information to passengers.

A couple of months ago i had a similar delay on AC at YYZ but the traffic at YYZ pales in comparison to YEG. When our departing TS flight arrived at Cancun it was interesting to see the ground crew waiting for the plane 5-10 minutes before it arrived at the gate ready to get the ball rolling. I am amazed at how some of the large airports in the world handle the chaos on the busy tarmacs.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 6:19 PM

An airport with lesser traffic has less ground crews; there's no correlation there. AC ground crews at Calgary are stretched thin between domestic operations and the international side. My point is merely that waiting a few minutes for a crew happens to every single airline at every airport (except CUN, you claim) so I wouldn't fault anybody for it. It's the nature of ground operations. Ever try driving a jet bridge? I have. It sucks sometimes. It sucks a lot of times.

There are days where Swissport crew at YEG will be there for 10 minutes waiting for a TS or Sunwing plane. I get the feeling you don't fly enough to definitively classify the performance of a given ground crew at a given airport. I guarantee you planes wait for crews at CUN when stuff goes irrop. There's no avoiding it. You can have a list, that's fine... I just don't necessarily feel Swissport should be thrown under the bus here.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 9:12 PM

^Good points. Fair enough.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 5:58 PM
unstoppable

Nice to see WS no longer has a stranglehold on the YEG-YLW route with Flair and now AC entering. I had heard once that YEG-YLW was Westjet's most profitable route in the entire network. This should help soften pricing.

Quote:
Get ready to enjoy three new routes to and from beautiful British Columbia. Starting July 2, take advantage of daily, year-round flights between Edmonton and Kelowna, twice-daily summer flights between Edmonton and Victoria.
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ns/canada.html

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 6:31 PM
HVAC guru

^ about time. Air Canada's service from Edmonton to Kelowna has always been the shits.

Even though we collect WestJet rewards we'll still fly with Flair to Kelowna at every possible opportunity. WestJet has gouged flyers to the Okanagan for long enough, They're only dropping prices to compete with Flair, and you know if Flair goes tits up they'll just jack those prices right back up.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picture Me Rollin' View Post
I had heard once that YEG-YLW was Westjet's most profitable route in the entire network.
That is bullshit in the purest sense of the word.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton