HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 3:14 AM
The City

^ I'm all for preservation, but that is one freaky looking face

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 3:49 AM

How often do crews display old facade next to a construction site after removing it? I dont think I've ever seen that before. I would think they would want that stuff in safe storage just for the "in case shit happens" reason alone.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
How often do crews display old facade next to a construction site after removing it? I dont think I've ever seen that before. I would think they would want that stuff in safe storage just for the "in case shit happens" reason alone.
Those are still on the wall - I believe they will stay mounted - the wall tied off to the containers while the tower is built behind - as done at Ace Hotel.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 5:42 AM
1st Ward

Awesome to see that facade being preserved! Its gorgeous, even with that uber creepy face lol.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 4:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Ornaments like this are always freaky, that's the point.

Great to hear they are preserving them.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
You forgot the hideous cell tower on the west side of Damen.

Once placed, those things are an absolute nightmare to remove, given all the data cable infrastructure they are connected to. Look at the one on Madison by Aberdeen. Its smack in the middle of a restaurant/bar area in the booming WL, and it doesn't appear to be going anywhere anytime soon.
If they can be collocated on a nearby structure, decommissioning is a breeze. A lot of these towers are owned by a single large company with all the carriers leasing. It’s just getting the approvals for a new cell site that would be arduous, but the equipment relocation is a breeze considering isn’t terribly difficult when you consider all of it is upgraded so often. Trenching new cables and installing radio units takes a matter of hours.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
If they can be collocated on a nearby structure, decommissioning is a breeze. A lot of these towers are owned by a single large company with all the carriers leasing. It’s just getting the approvals for a new cell site that would be arduous, but the equipment relocation is a breeze considering isn’t terribly difficult when you consider all of it is upgraded so often. Trenching new cables and installing radio units takes a matter of hours.
Spoken like a manager in a nice warm cubicle ;-)

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 6:40 PM

811 W Fulton Market

Feb 26

Mar 3

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Spoken like a manager in a nice warm cubicle ;-)
Haha, that is true. But the people that do this work are impressive at what they do in any weather. No way I’d ever be cut out to do any utility work in this cold climate.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Have you seen all the crazy faces in Prague? They have lots there haha!

Maybe not this particular example, but I'm wondering people usually seem to love buildings like this with Greco-Roman ornamentation. These type of buildings are landmarked. Why don't more developers building new buildings with Greco-Roman ornamentation today? It can be done with cheap plastic resins now, no need to use terra-cotta. I've bought some foam interior ornamentation that is really cheap for my own home. I'm making it into a Bavarian palace for a few hundred dollars! This stuff isn't that costly today with plastics and foam. They can be painted any color. It makes it look timeless, historical, and classy.

Also there's a book called Get Your House Right that every developer should read. It discusses how to use Classical proportions on any house or building. There's a reason older buildings look good, it's because they used Classical proportions and Greek orders based on 2500 years of building history. Today, people build buildings with no thought for the proportions. This isn't even that hard or costly to do right, it just takes a sensitivity for proper proportions. Things like the Greek orders, almost every building I've seen built before 1930 used the proper Greek orders. But almost every building today that attempts a cornice fails at the Greek order of a proper cornice.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 10:43 PM
Urbane observer

Architects of our era are taught—except possibly at Notre Dame—that buildings should be of their time, reflecting the social and political conditions under which they were created, and using the most efficient technology of the era. So few architects would want to design a truly historicist building, few developers would want to pay for one, and few contractors could properly construct one. In categories like luxury residential, where there's demand for the historic forms and ornament, modern compromise solutions include certain large, impressive elements—but on buildings using today's technology and materials.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Why don't more developers building new buildings with Greco-Roman ornamentation today?
well the dude who built that absurd mansion in Lincoln Park plastered them all over the place, so theres that...

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 11:39 PM
1st Ward

^ Holy sh*t, that's newer construction? It honestly looks like it was built 100 years ago. Did they use actual limestone?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 11:54 PM

Curbed obtained a rendering from NORR for the proposed building on Western Ave right next to the 606 replacing the gas station. I really like the Western Ave side of things, but not so much the 606 side of things. The outdoor dining space(s) at the level of the 606 looks nice though.

Source: NORR/Curbed

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 12:22 AM
1st Ward

^ Gorgeous rendering! Lets hope the actual development mirrors this.

I'm also not a big fan of the balconies facing the 606, but I love the way the Western Ave side looks. It would be nice if they could redo it to closer imitate the more attractive cubist design on the eastern facade.

Its crazy how transformative the 606 has been to the surrounding neighborhood. Hope the trend continues. Lots of underutilized space on Western, especially further south. Would like to see those car dealers, fast food joints and empty lots take a hike!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 12:34 AM

^ Yeah totally. I remember going on the 606 the first time and was pretty surprised at how you could see the transformation right around parts for a bit of distance. Forget where but I liked the height on some buildings around it. I'm a fan of some of the buildings around the highline in Manhattan in both height and design. I was surprised that in some parts the 606 had more of the height thing down than I expected.

In other news, 1115 W Fulton Market (Fulton Market & May) got a building permit nearly a month ago for the renovation to convert it to a retail building. This is from McCaffery. I'm sure this thing will be available before we even realize it.

Source: McCaffery

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 12:38 AM
1st Ward

I live about a half to three quarters of a mile from the 606, and even at this distance I can sense its boosted the number of rehabs and tear downs in my immediate vicinity. Its pretty crazy, I haven't seen a rate of construction and investment like this since the last boom cycle.

I love that they are keeping the awning for 1115 W Fulton. Really helps preserve that chic industrial vibe that made that neighborhood so attractive to begin with.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 12:42 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Glad it won't be demolished.

I just noticed that the rooftop water tank is missing.

Hope they don't plan on getting rid of it

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 12:51 AM

Quote:
I live about a half to three quarters of a mile from the 606, and even at this distance I can sense its boosted the number of rehabs and tear downs in my immediate vicinity. Its pretty crazy, I haven't seen a rate of construction and investment like this since the last boom cycle.
I'll have a map on it sometime in the semi near future (for the whole city)

Quote:
I love that they are keeping the awning for 1115 W Fulton. Really helps preserve that chic industrial vibe that made that neighborhood so attractive to begin with.
Agree. 181 N Morgan is a new building but they kind of have the same thing --> https://www.google.com/maps/place/18...!4d-87.6519087

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 12:53 AM

Quote:
^ Holy sh*t, that's newer construction? It honestly looks like it was built 100 years ago. Did they use actual limestone?

To their credit yes, although for 60 million I'd sure hope so

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development