HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 12:57 PM

It's funny how when you click on some of these town websites it says "we are a vibrant and dynamic community that is well positioned to face the fast-paced challenges of a global economy..."

Yet their website looks like it was created using geocities or angelfire. And their logo is still the original one from decades ago with no update whatsoever.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 1:13 PM

Nice to see this collection of towns didn't just rely on their traditional crest/coat of arms. They all have a proper logo. Though Alnwick's you might consider to be a modern coat of arms.

Township of Hamilton's is surprising by how basic it is and having what I assume is snow.

Trent Hills is very meh.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 11:00 AM

Trent Hills logo is truly awful. Looks like it was made on a 1990s computer program.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 11:49 AM

New Brunswick has a new Blue.

New Brunswick has a branding issue. They keep changing their Blues.

Tourism New Brunswick has changed the provincial logo to a deep sea blue.

Contrast that with the 80's blue on the Service NB logo

and the original blue on the provincial flag

Whenever I see all these blues together they clash like the devil.

I propose they clean up the branding in New Brunswick by updating the colors on the flag to match the current colors chosen for branding.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 12:11 PM

I know we have a ship-building history but... I sometimes wonder...

When did we build galleys? Was NB discovered by Phoenicians?

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 1:24 PM
ハルウララ

NB flag is one of the better flags in Canada, IMO. Changing it, or its colours, would be foolish.

Why the provincial government wants to use maroon/green for official colouring i'll never know. I'll agree that most NB branding is completely off. I don't mind seeing the provincial sports teams use yellow and black (Brier/Scotties) but the Canada Games teams always wear some awful combination of the maroon and green.

curling.ca

gnb

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 1:38 PM
The Vomit Bag.

NB flag is pretty good. Beats Ontario's lame standard.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 1:39 PM
The Vomit Bag.

MelAssman
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 1:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The NB flag is fresh and unique (and if more people knew that NB actually existed, would be instantly identifiable).

I wouldn't change the flag, but I agree that the choice of a galley to represent the shipbuilding heritage of the province is pretty incongruous........

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 2:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

How much did Bell pay to have this honey of a logo? How banal can you get?

remember the old one? The dizzy dude?

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 2:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I much preferred CIBC's old logo (back when I was a customer, long since departed)

I don't know why, but I intensely dislike their current logo:

cibc

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
There was a recording studio in the 60s and 70s named "Bell Records" that had a very similar logo:

They signed people like the Bay City Rollers, the Drifters and Barry Manilow.

I knew a copywriter who worked for an ad agency that did the Bell campaign many years ago, and he was a fan of soul music from that era, but I think that might just be a coincidence. Also, I'm pretty sure he was too low on the creative totem pole to sign off on the design of a logo for a client as large as Bell.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 1:50 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Did they sign the Bells?

amazon.com

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 2:33 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
TBayTel did this 3 years later:

I actually like it better, the colour is more interesting and the increasing weight of the letters looks good. What's ironic is that TBayTel's mobile service runs on Roger's infrastructure. Bell had a hell of a time getting a foothold here; when TBayTel changed to this logo, Bell had only 2 or 3 cell towers here and Telus didn't have a presence at all.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 2:41 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
I much preferred CIBC's old logo (back when I was a customer, long since departed)

I don't know why, but I intensely dislike their current logo:

cibc
Although this former CIBC logo was phased out just around my early years as a kid in the city, I must say I'm hard pressed as to why they changed their logo. It's a very powerful and quite iconic (in some ways) emblem. The new logo looks almost like some political symbol with the two swooping lines. The box should NOT be an important part of any logo, unless it works for the design IMO. TD also has that fugly box and text combination.

I do miss the old Bell logo, it's just so conservative and bland.

(I'd rant about Circle K compared to Mac's, but this has already been discussed......I just really hate Circle K)

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 2:48 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I hate circle K too. Awful. I miss the Couch Turd.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 2:52 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Thankfully St. Mary's still has a Mac's, I'm very much glad of that. Their hot chocolate sucks ass I must say.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 2:54 AM
Rational urbanist

I've yet to see a Circle K in Vancouver or Winnipeg, though I was at a Winnipeg Mac's a few days ago and the napkins said Circle K on them.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 3:01 AM
I am a typical

It's like that here too, all the in-store branding is Circle K (even the uniforms the employees wear) but the signs outside say Mac's. We have one store that was always a Circle K, but it doesn't have signs at all, and it has a Shell instead of an Esso station built into it. (Our Mac's locations with gas bars have Esso branded gas, not sure if that's normal or just a peculiarity here.)

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 3:08 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Interesting considering everything I saw in the St. Mary's location was still Mac's branded. Those Mac's favourites they have, napkins, ads.......I had seen no mention of Circle K, which was refreshing since all the other Mac's I know are either closed or changed to Circle K.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada