HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 4:27 PM

I guess I'd have to disagree with those who say it makes the place look like a "freak show", or that the Virgil quote incorporates the remains into the museum experience. If no one told me what was behind the wall, I would just assume that the quote was meant to pay respects to anyone involved or hurt by 9/11.

Of course, the families should be allowed to determine where their family member's rest - but these are the unidentified remains. If they are entombed, they will never be identified. I imagine technology 10-20-30 years down the road will allow us to identify some of those that we lost that are currently unidentifiable.

A very tough and emotionally charged situation.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 6:41 AM

The $800,000 people zoo rendering made me laugh out loud.

Corruption at its worse. Is the pentagon building it?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 8:35 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

The western face of Snohetta's Memorial Museum Pavilion takes on a reflective layer

March 28, 2011
Tom Stoelker
wow! one disappointment after another! i might get shot for saying this, but come on! how do people not see how warped the glass is? first 1wtc and now the museum!

yes i know it's not finished, but glass always gets criticized on other projects here as well, and even after it's done it still looks bad. not saying this glass is horrible (thank god it's not thin 'dubai' glass), but it's also not as high quality as the building designs*/european glass.

*the only design i dislike is the actual memorial entrance. imo it really does look like jumbled metal and isn't fitting with the complex or symbolic of the historic events in any way, while caltrava's station is a bit over designed. it just feels too 'fragile' compared to other caltravas buildings with the same spine/wing designs and has wayyy too many spikes. the entrance doesn't feel as grand either.

not sure why they didn't scale down the concourse a bit both size and design wise and pick a better design for both station and museum (aboveground portion) while keeping costs down (1 architect for both, less hassle between firms/engineers, better flow, all that jazz). zaha could have done something much softer and 'sensitive' to the size, and it would've been a great partnership between middle eastern and american (although knowing some it might have been on the news several times).

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 2:42 PM
Grand is Golden!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
wow! one disappointment after another! i might get shot for saying this, but come on! how do people not see how warped the glass is? first 1wtc and now the museum!

yes i know it's not finished, but glass always gets criticized on other projects here as well, and even after it's done it still looks bad. not saying this glass is horrible (thank god it's not thin 'dubai' glass), but it's also not as high quality as the building designs*/european glass.

*the only design i dislike is the actual memorial entrance. imo it really does look like jumbled metal and isn't fitting with the complex or symbolic of the historic events in any way, while caltrava's station is a bit over designed. it just feels too 'fragile' compared to other caltravas buildings with the same spine/wing designs and has wayyy too many spikes. the entrance doesn't feel as grand either.

not sure why they didn't scale down the concourse a bit both size and design wise and pick a better design for both station and museum (aboveground portion) while keeping costs down (1 architect for both, less hassle between firms/engineers, better flow, all that jazz). zaha could have done something much softer and 'sensitive' to the size, and it would've been a great partnership between middle eastern and american (although knowing some it might have been on the news several times).
Once more glass is installed, and the interior is finished, the wavy reflection should decrease. Remember 1 WTC? Take a look at it in December, and compare it to now. According to the PA, the wavy glass is caused by a lack of pressurization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Authority
Q. When I visited last week, I noticed something strange with the glass. The reflections of things close to the building are very clear, but buildings and objects that are far away seem to be wavy and odd. Is this because the glass has just started to go in? Is there a film on the glass? – George, Philadelphia, PA

A. George, there is no film on the glass. Once the building is fully enclosed and pressurized, the wavy reflection will be reduced.
As you can see from this Q and A, the wavy reflection should be reduced when the building is enclosed and pressurized.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 8:28 PM
Honored Member

It is rather obvious that there is some kind of protective film on the glass of the pavilion.

Chill out folks, let em finish the dang thing. If it still looks like that in September, then you can rip the supplier a new one !

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 9:59 PM
BROOKLYN

Quote:

We already went over this...T-H-E-R-E I-S P-R-O-T-E-C-T-I-V-E F-I-L-M O-V-E-R T-H-E G-L-A-S-S

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Aleks just look at the first picture on the home page of the PANYNJ website. The glass looks really great, so stop your worrying.

http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/index.html

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey View Post
We already went over this...T-H-E-R-E I-S P-R-O-T-E-C-T-I-V-E F-I-L-M O-V-E-R T-H-E G-L-A-S-S
No there isn't. They say once the building air pressure is regulated the glass should smooth out.

The other day when I was visiting the World Financial Center I couldn't even open the door. And when I did, it slammed itself shut.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
It is rather obvious that there is some kind of protective film on the glass of the pavilion.

Chill out folks, let em finish the dang thing. If it still looks like that in September, then you can rip the supplier a new one !
Oh not that crap again, when will you people ever learn.

The glass looks fine to me, I don't know what everyone was expecting. I don't know what's wrong with shiny glass.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 1:02 AM
BROOKLYN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
No there isn't. They say once the building air pressure is regulated the glass should smooth out.

The other day when I was visiting the World Financial Center I couldn't even open the door. And when I did, it slammed itself shut.
I'm sorry but that made no sense at all.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 1:08 AM

today

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 4:58 AM
New Yorker for life

APRIL 3, 2011

This Pavilion is larger than it would appear to be from the renderings, probably because it doesn't compare to the skyscrapers shown.
But at ground level, it is very imposing, and I'm sure more than a few people will confuse it for being the actual memorial alone.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 2:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grand Architect View Post
According to the PA, the wavy glass is caused by a lack of pressurization. As you can see from this Q and A, the wavy reflection should be reduced when the building is enclosed and pressurized.
The PA is a poor source of information, honestly. Are there any true engineers on here that can address this myth? I have an extremely hard time believing that air pressure inside a building would even approach the PSI needed to bend glass, especially when this building has windows, doors, and other entry ways the reduce any air pressure that could otherwise be built up in a vacuum. Without a seal, I think this myth is completely impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
Quote:
Please provide sources and visual proof. Zen, I don't see any "rather obvious" evidence of a protective film, which to me, would include things like non-reflectivity, an obvious reduction in transparency, and dirt/dust buildup. As much as I'd like to believe you guys, I need proof. Thanks

SPECTACULAR PHOTO UPDATE! If only I could stumble upon these types of posts more often...

Last edited by Don098; Apr 4, 2011 at 2:35 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 2:27 PM

[QUOTE=NYguy;5227804]APRIL 3, 2011

The glass looks great in this latest image. Actually, I have been really impressed over the last 2-3 months by the rapid pace of work on the memorial and pavilion. It seems that having that September deadline looming has really sped things along.

There is a lot of bare concrete now, on the pavilion and on the two entrance gate structures. Does anyone know what kind of cladding, if any, will be put on those? Will they use stone, metal? What kind?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
The PA is a poor source of information, honestly. Are there any true engineers on here that can address this myth? I have an extremely hard time believing that air pressure inside a building would even approach the PSI needed to bend glass, especially when this building has windows, doors, and other entry ways the reduce any air pressure that could otherwise be built up in a vacuum. Without a seal, I think this myth is completely impossible.

Please provide sources and visual proof. Zen, I don't see any "rather obvious" evidence of a protective film, which to me, would include things like non-reflectivity, an obvious reduction in transparency, and dirt/dust buildup. As much as I'd like to believe you guys, I need proof. Thanks

SPECTACULAR PHOTO UPDATE! If only I could stumble upon these types of posts more often...

Ok... some engineering rigor is what you ask for, eh?

From Advanced Strength of Materials by J.P. Den Hartog, page 184
Quote:
Case 24. Rectangular plate ab under uniform loading p, clamped along all edges":

Max deflection = u*p*a^4/(E*t^3)

Where u is a constant based on the ratio of length / width of the plate
ratio=1; u=0.138
ratio=1.6; u=0.0251
ratio=2; u=0.0277
p = Pressure (I found somewhere that 0.00145 psi as an interior to exterior differential in a building, but I will defer to Zen if he has another number)
a = the width of the plate (bottom of the ratio, from above)
E = Young's modulus (i used 9.6e6 psi)
t = thickness (i guesstimated 1 in... Zen?)

So... for my estimate...
length = 120 in (10 ft)
width = 60 in (5 ft)
ratio = 2

max deflection of 0.0000542 in

It's very small... however, I will admit, I'd expect on a a very reflective surface, small deflections can appear larger...

I will be glad to recalculate with more accurate info, if you have it.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 4:08 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidinasia View Post
There is a lot of bare concrete now, on the pavilion and on the two entrance gate structures. Does anyone know what kind of cladding, if any, will be put on those?
Will they use stone, metal? What kind?
All will be revealed...

A few more pics taken yesterday of the Pavilion from Greenwich, and a small sample of tourists who will come...

A shot accross the plaza and memorial falls...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
There is no film on the glass.
It is obvious when you touch it!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 1:46 AM
Grand is Golden!

Great pics, NYGuy. I love that last pic with all the trees. Imagine in a few weeks those buds will bloom and the whole memorial comes to life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidinasia
There is a lot of bare concrete now, on the pavilion and on the two entrance gate structures. Does anyone know what kind of cladding, if any, will be put on those?
Will they use stone, metal? What kind?
The concrete is just reinforcement, AKA just for strength. The pavillion will be covered with some sort of cladding; I am not sure which kind exactly. But judging from those renderings, I assume the cladding will consist of glass strips wrapped around shiny rust-proof metal (stainless steel is too expensive, I bet).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW, I am close to completing my 9/11 Memorial Construction Animated Timelapse video. However, I need to know the type of material for the Memorial plaza's floor/ground- more specifically, what color, texture etc. Animating the installment of the floor panels for the plaza will account for roughly 10% of the video. Other than that, the video is pretty much good to go and is looking great. It should be released in a couple of days (I got a downtown meeting 2 days in a row, sorry for the delay).

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 2:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Discovery cam shot from today...you can see that the memorial and the entire site has really come together.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 9:46 PM
Grand is Golden!

From WTC Progress's Facebook page:

Such a great picture below; shows us how huge this project has been and how it takes shape. You can see already that the Santiago Arches are already in place, and the Station is taking form.

Spring is in the air. All trees are growing buds, and should burst in May. Below is the Surviver Tree, planted at the Original World Trade Center site and recovered after 9/11.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture