HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 12:31 PM

Construction updates for "The Beacon" in Grant Park:

Signed tenants slated to open late 2017:
•Grant Park Public House
•Balanced Fit Life
•Third Street Market & Deli
•Maggie’s Bistro
•A Haute Cookie
•El Mexicano
•Vagabond Salon
•Churchill Grounds
•Pediatric Dentistry
•Jena Dost
•Nyquist
•Lalabu
•Baker Dude

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonicpanda View Post
That since everyone wants it it needs to be free? It's infrastructure.
We directly pay for water, power, food, housing, transit and about everything else you could consider "infrastructure" or anything "everyone wants" or needs. Roads should be no different.

But glad we can agree about removing parking minimums. And since that has the most relevance to the this forum we should probably wrap up the discussion there.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 10:24 PM

2nd crane for 725 Ponce is up!

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
Welp, I guess that answers my question from earlier! Thanks!

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 1:34 PM

Quote:
They really are. Imagine if drivers stopped subsidizing mass transit. There wouldn't be any mass transit. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Yes, I'm that one on this board who personally hates transit, simply because I have no choice but to use it everyday and I'm tired of it. But I do see benefits in it and want to see it expanded. But I often show family and friends statements that are made here and it's hilarious.
Drivers in Georgia do not subsidize mass transit. The Georgia Constitution requires that gas tax revenues be used for only road and bridge projects. That is why the State of Georgia does not provide ongoing funding for MARTA operations. And only a small fraction of the federal gas tax revenues go to the New Starts Program, which primarily funds capital costs for transit projects.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 1:46 PM

GT's 14th street and Howell Mill project selected a developer, S.J. Collins for the 9 acre site. SJ Collins is "known for new Whole Foods-anchored developments in Chamblee and Decatur".

"The proposed West Midtown project would include at least 100,000 square feet of loft office space, 70,000 square feet of retail, 275 residential units (either rental or for sale), and a boutique hotel." ... "S.J. Collins now is in the process of reaching out to influential West Midtown neighborhood groups to hear their ideas for the project." ..."The hope is to break ground in second or third quarter of 2018." ..."The project would include loft office space for startups growing out of Georgia Advanced Technology Ventures incubators, as Georgia Tech said in a statement in January.

At that time, it said a project would include affordable housing for junior faculty, graduate students and researchers who want to live near the campus."

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...g-forward.html

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:01 PM

Good news everyone:

GATechs $140 Million West Midtown Project is moving forward
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...g-forward.html

Quote:
The proposed West Midtown project would include at least 100,000 square feet of loft office space, 70,000 square feet of retail, 275 residential units (either rental or for sale), and a boutique hotel.
Darlington Sold
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...nts-sells.html

Quote:
Varden may consider an addition to the property, with potentially “something built on the front parcel,” Bloom said in an email to Atlanta Business Chronicle. “No final decisions have been made on what that will look like,” he said.
Atlanta eyed for a 1million sq ft Data Center Campus by CyrusOne
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...er-campus.html

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
I would guess they will design the foundation of opus one to accept a tower towards the back of the building, so the towers would offset. It is possible it would be cheaper doing the entire site's groundwork at once instead of two phases, and it might make potential buyers think their western and northern views would be preserved. It would also finish off the entire property and that area in general, making the property more desirable. They might also delay 'opus 1' and do a switcharoo in 5 years after al units in opus 2 have sold. I'm also hopeful that related is saving the Whole Foods site for another tower one day, however I doubt they are including foundation implements in their current design.
Right-- there is plenty of room on the site for one or two more towers-- The Meier gallery building is quite beautiful and would be welcomed

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGump View Post
The proton-therapy machine is finally being delivered today to the Emory Center. They had 2 lanes of North Avenue blocked this morning at around 6am between Peachtree and Juniper.
I was able to get a picture, but it wasn't the best quality since it was still pretty dark:

Emory

The Proton Center construction site is coming to life today, not like it "did" on April 1st.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 6:06 PM

Some new MBS photos on AJC.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwk View Post
Drivers in Georgia do not subsidize mass transit. The Georgia Constitution requires that gas tax revenues be used for only road and bridge projects. That is why the State of Georgia does not provide ongoing funding for MARTA operations. And only a small fraction of the federal gas tax revenues go to the New Starts Program, which primarily funds capital costs for transit projects.
People who drive pay more taxes than just gas tax. Drivers do subsidize mass transit as there are way more drivers than transit riders.

Anyhow, this is my last comment on the matter as to not hijack this thread.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
Here is a pic I took walking the Beltline today, they have 6 more sections to put up as well.

Having trouble uploading pic, sorry.

Last edited by bigstick; May 19, 2017 at 7:55 PM.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
People who drive pay more taxes than just gas tax. Drivers do subsidize mass transit as there are way more drivers than transit riders.

Anyhow, this is my last comment on the matter as to not hijack this thread.
You can't make that statement without also knowing the total costs for mass transit vs. roads.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 4:34 PM

Have any of y'all noticed the clearing in the fence/trees on the beltline in between midtown promenade and place?

Think they're finally building stairs down there to connect to the shopping centres.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjhajek View Post
Have any of y'all noticed the clearing in the fence/trees on the beltline in between midtown promenade and place?

Think they're finally building stairs down there to connect to the shopping centres.
Was that behind the movie theatre?

I thought I saw some construction up to the Beltline a couple weeks back.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Correct. But it also ended because it was no longer profitable. The auto companies bought many of the lines on the cheap because they were going under.

Edit to add they were no longer profitable because people wanted cars. Cars were and are the future. They will also make transit even more obsolete when autonomous cars become cheap.
Actually, while cars were popular, people still liked the trains and many were quite busy when they started taking them off the rails, because from what I recall reading shell companies from the car/supply companies were buying them up and taking the trains off the road in cities so they wouldn't have competition and could force people to buy more cars, most notably a place like LA.

The problem was once people noticed it, much of it was dismantled and destroyed before governments could step in or governments didn't try to stop it, and people already adjusted to life with cars and the world evolved with that.

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 2:57 PM

Avondale TOD Construction Update:

Edgewood/Candler Park Construction Update:

New King Memorial TOD renders:

Corner of Grant and Biggers

Grant Street

Aerial

The project will have 400 units, with 80 being set aside as affordable housing. There is also 10,000 sq ft of retail

Also a presentation done Saturday regarding the Chamblee TOD:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TTzlpGpmzQ

Last edited by GeorgiaPeanuts; May 22, 2017 at 3:12 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 11:35 PM

Groundbreaking for 670 Dekalb will begin on June 20

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 1:08 PM

Solis Dectatur Breaks Ground Soon

Quote:
A 290-unit apartment project is kicking-off the next phase of a $90 million mixed-use development in Decatur, another sign metro Atlanta still maintains one of the nation’s strongest multifamily markets.

Terwilliger Pappas has broken ground on its project called Solis Decatur, with construction financing from J.P. Morgan and Atlantic Creek Real Estate Partners, the Charlotte, N.C.-based developer said in a news release. Cooper Carry is the architect.

A 290-unit apartment project, Solis Decatur has broken ground, developer Terwilliger Pappas says. Cooper Carry is the architect.
Quote:
North Decatur Square features about 90,000 square feet of retail anchored by Whole Foods Market's smaller, more affordable 365 concept. Developer SJ Collins is leading the retail development and partnering on the entire 11-acre project with Terwilliger Pappas.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 4:58 PM

Good signs for Opus Place?

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...lls-for-1.html

Four Seasons Condo sold for 1.3 Million at $618 per sq ft.

Broke two records: Highest priced two bedroom in Four Seasons and the highest ever price per square foot for a two bedroom in all of Midtown

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations